SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
rwkeller
First Timer
rwkeller is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question Ron in AK

Rider since 2011 (X2), getting comfortable off road. Love the used Ebay machine and daily rider to work and play (esp. off road on local trails). Would like more range - has anyone trailed/towed a spare battery set, and by some cord mechanism rapid change on the trail with quick adapter plug-in somehow?

Not many riders up here to my knowledge - season short, but 20 hours available per day in summer. Anyone help with the range issue? Hitch and trailers seem aplenty, but the plug in cable for the extra battery set ?

And while your thinking can we just leave them on the trailer and charge in tandem somehow and just throw a switch for battery pack one and then pack two like switching gas tanks in the small airplane? Use for doubling range with the same switch while riding?

I am not an electrician and we have no Segway dealers or mechanics in Alaska.

Thanks...Ron
rwkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I thought of this very thing, two sets of batteries on board at the same time long ago, and posted it. I brought it up back in the days when the batteries had half the range they do today.

I have never heard of anyone successfully doing this, and I suspect it may be because the segway itself manages very carefully the voltage and current draw from the batteries at all times when the machine is turned on.

My thoughts were not so much to run one set and charge the other while both plugged in thru an A/B switch, but more to have two sets of charged batteries, and when low, swap more like your airplane analogy.

I do know a man who used to carry a car battery that would charge a spare set of batteries with him while hunting, but when depleted he would just unscrew the fatigued batteries and replace them with the set of fresh. Then put the tired ones in the box with the car battery and inverter.

If you are out in the field long enough, it would make sense to replace the car battery with a small generator arrangement. (Since he was a hunter, I suspect he wanted to stay quiet) I also do not know how many charges you can get into the segway batteries from one charged car battery. I suspect not too many, as I would think their capacity similar.

The other problem is that I do not know of any fast charge or system where you could charge depleted batteries nearly as fast as you can deplete them...

My segway has about a 20 mile range on pavement, and with a 12+ mph speed, I can fully discharge in about 90 minutes. I surely cannot charge any other battery set in the same time frame. As an off road X series, I suspect you can easily deplete the batteries in less than an hour, and I know of no method to charge segway batteries that fast.

If the investment is not too daunting, it may just make sense to carry several sets of charged batteries, and swap them in when needed. This is essentially what the cross country team did when they first crossed the continent with a segway back in 2005(?).

Good luck, keep us posted with your findings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkeller View Post

Anyone help with the range issue?
Pump your tires up.
Factory spec is about 4psi.

My experience was to almost double the range with tires at 10psi.

You only need really low pressure on dry, loose sand.
All other terrains are less demanding, so experiment a bit.
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Billstowers
Billstowers is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Range issue on X2

Ron
Put 30 lbs of air pressure in your tire, you will get 22 mile range. If you go off trail you may want to lower your air pressure to 15 lbs. You can buy used power cable from Value Village or any computor store. FYI I have a home in Wasilla and Vegas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwkeller View Post
Rider since 2011 (X2), getting comfortable off road. Love the used Ebay machine and daily rider to work and play (esp. off road on local trails). Would like more range - has anyone trailed/towed a spare battery set, and by some cord mechanism rapid change on the trail with quick adapter plug-in somehow?

Not many riders up here to my knowledge - season short, but 20 hours available per day in summer. Anyone help with the range issue? Hitch and trailers seem aplenty, but the plug in cable for the extra battery set ?

And while your thinking can we just leave them on the trailer and charge in tandem somehow and just throw a switch for battery pack one and then pack two like switching gas tanks in the small airplane? Use for doubling range with the same switch while riding?

I am not an electrician and we have no Segway dealers or mechanics in Alaska.

Thanks...Ron
Billstowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Lewland
Lewland is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Power cord same as computer cord?

I am very new to Segway ownership (3 days). Bought mine from Chicago Segway Tours. Would like an additional power cord. Cord looks like a computer cord but leery whether computer cord is rated at 13 amps like the cord that came with the craft. Having retired from FD don’t want the boys coming to my house on fire. Also Sales guy told me to plug into a surge protector. Probably a good idea. HELP. Thanks.
Lew
Lewland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewland View Post
I am very new to Segway ownership (3 days). Bought mine from Chicago Segway Tours. Would like an additional power cord. Cord looks like a computer cord but leery whether computer cord is rated at 13 amps like the cord that came with the craft. Having retired from FD don’t want the boys coming to my house on fire. Also Sales guy told me to plug into a surge protector. Probably a good idea. HELP. Thanks.
Lew
They are one and the same.....Not to worry.....Its the initial surge and just a trickle charge after that......It also is less than 6 feet in length.

Just had a friend spend a few months in your town....and he will be leaving shortly to go back and help his older inlaws....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote