SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:25 PM   #71
SegwayLongIsland
SegwayLongIsland is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Hi Mark. It's not that hard to find a wire that is "switched" after the ignition. Most of the assessories are "switched" meaning they only work when the key is on. There is almost always an empty slot on the fuse panel for an extra "switched" accessory like trailer hitch lights.

It IS a pain to run that wire to the trunk from under the dash.

A really "Lazy" way would be to take power for the converter off of the wire that runs to the parking lights. When you want to charge the Segway in the trunk, you just drive with the parking lights on. A lot of the newer trucks have the headlights on during the day anyway, so it wouldn't even look strange.

Wayne
SegwayLongIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 07:14 PM   #72
axiotek
axiotek

5 yr Member

Here are two ideas for this thread I have noticed in my gliding.

1) The existing Segway LLC front bag is great, durable, roomy, and extremely safe and sturdy when mounted and gliding about. My only issue is that when one takes it off (and this is easy to do and may need to be done on occasion depending on what one stores inside and where one parks) it is difficult to carry about. The addition of a simple briefcase like handle to the bag so that it could be easily carried when not mounted would be useful.

2) I have noticed that when the Segway is parked inside admist some plants, boxes, furniture, or whatever, it becomes part of the surroundings and most often goes completely unnoticed to most passers-by. Since I have yet to chain up to a bike rack (I always take the HT inside with me) I don't have any anecdotal evidence of the conspicuousness of the HT outside among bikes, but the thought occurred to me that if the HT were more conspicious outside (assuming bike theives patrol more around bike racks where large nos of bike are stored) a bland, grey HT cover might be a likeable accessory which would allow the HT to be less conspicious. The cover could be lightweight, cover half the HT and tie in the back.

Just some thoughts.

www.segwayboston.org
axiotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 08:41 PM   #73
wheels
wheels

5 yr Member

Mark;
The unit referred to is an [u]</u>INVERTER[u]</u>, not a <s></s>CONVERTER<s></s>. When you step UP the voltage, you use an INVERTER... When stepping DOWN you use a CONVERTER.
Much more importantly, The amount of current that your load (batteries-charger-inverter) draws plus the distance from the source to the inverter determines the size of the wire needed. Too many unknowns and variables for me to say what size but I'll estimate #10 or larger (lower #). Plus a circuit breaker, relay and SPST switch (optional-pilot light)would be necessary also.
It would be much more practical (efficient) for someone (LLC ?) to assemble an inverter with 12v-dc input and 72v-dc output (if that is the voltage of each battery) I think they are in parallel.

Donald LaFavor &lt;wheels&gt;

Which way...... SEGWAY !

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Segway Long Island

Hi Mark. It's not that hard to find a wire that is "switched" after the ignition. Most of the assessories are "switched" meaning they only work when the key is on. There is almost always an empty slot on the fuse panel for an extra "switched" accessory like trailer hitch lights.

It IS a pain to run that wire to the trunk from under the dash.

A really "Lazy" way would be to take power for the converter off of the wire that runs to the parking lights. When you want to charge the Segway in the trunk, you just drive with the parking lights on. A lot of the newer trucks have the headlights on during the day anyway, so it wouldn't even look strange.

Wayne
Every turn on 2 wheels
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:21 AM   #74
mzokc
mzokc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Wheels,

Read carefully! Sing along now...

Wayne wrote converter, I wrote inverter, "let's call the whole thing off!"

Having fun reading the posts!

Mark
mzokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:01 AM   #75
god1138
god1138 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Hey everyone... thanks for the Cliff's Notes guide to electrical terminology!

All kidding aside, as my previous post stated I have already suggested an adapter of any sort (be it inverter or converter) to Segway LLC. It kind of sounds like a lot of trouble - wiring from dash to trunk and such - and I figure, if Dean can make a device that balances you on a single axle and only two wheels, he sure as heckfire can figure out a simpler way to get charge to a Segway in your trunk without a bunch of trim removal. The guy's a genius, you know! ; )

I'm sure LLC will be giving lots of components and accessories consideration in the near future, but I just hope this is one of them.

My other car is a Segway!
god1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:03 AM   #76
hubbahbubbah
hubbahbubbah

5 yr Member

For those of us with more dreams than $$, a good T-shirt design may be:

[Front] PROUD OWNER OF A SEGWAY

[Back] ...T-shirt
hubbahbubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:57 AM   #77
motleyorc
motleyorc

5 yr Member

There is no axle in the Segway.

http://www.segwayceleb.com
motleyorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #78
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by motleyorc

There is no axle in the Segway.
Actually the Segway has 2 independent axles.

axle - The pin or spindle on which a wheel revolves, or which revolves with a wheel. (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary)

No axle, no revolving wheel.

Runnin' with the Big Dogs
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #79
hodgepoj
hodgepoj

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wheels

Mark;
The unit referred to is an [u]</u>INVERTER[u]</u>, not a <s></s>CONVERTER<s></s>. When you step UP the voltage, you use an INVERTER... When stepping DOWN you use a CONVERTER.

Donald LaFavor
Alas, you're only half correct, Donald. An inverter is a device that changes DC voltage into AC voltage. It's the inverse of a rectifier, which changes AC into DC.

Neither of these devices, by itself, changes the value of the voltage. A transformer changes AC voltage, but not DC, from lower to higher, or vice versa.

Thomas Edison's biggest mistake was to believe that DC voltage was the better way to generate and distribute electric power, but he had no way to increase or decrease the voltage. Tesla proved him wrong by pointing out the advantages of AC, using transformers to step up and step down the voltage.

hodgepoj
hodgepoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:37 PM   #80
toybuilder
toybuilder is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

A solar-charger plate that can slide under the platform when (the charger is) not in use, and placed over the platform when the charger is in use (i.e. HT is in use). A nice "trickle charge daytime top off" unit, if you will.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote