SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
This thread is being started to hold hints and discussions from another thread that were off topic.
Can I be the first to post something off topic?

Oh wait, I have something on topic, though simple.

When ordering a SegVator -- be sure to specify if you want an inverter. It's not the default, as it might seem from looking at the website. It's not easy to fix after-the-fact.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #12
BillK
BillK will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Here are the things I have found with the product -
1. it is an incredible product
2. would not have a Segway without it
3. a bungee cord keeps the inverter cover from flapping while driving and charging just fine
4. Some three inch pads from Lowes (the ones that you can put heavy equipment on and push to move it) keep damage to the Segway pads to a minimum when lifting the segway up (the one inch pads on the Segvator leave a divot on the standing pad when you raise up the Segs).
5. get one charging with the motor running and after a minute plug in the second one and you can USUALLY get around the charging alarm problem.

Highly recommended product.
Bill
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
4. Some three inch pads from Lowes (the ones that you can put heavy equipment on and push to move it) keep damage to the Segway pads to a minimum when lifting the segway up (the one inch pads on the Segvator leave a divot on the standing pad when you raise up the Segs).
I find those divots quickly fade on their own and haven't been a problem. They might fade more slowly in cold weather -- I don't know, I haven't been able to use my SegVator lately due to my receiver hitch being broken. Supposedly they're building me a new one, but I have to check in and see what's up with that.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Running Lights On for Inverter

If you have the inverter kit option, remember that your "running lights" need to be on to activate the power circuit for the inverter. This was done to help prevent draining your battery from leaving the Segway(s) charging when the vehicle is off. Most vehicles will complain when you get out with your lights still on to also remind you and protect your vehicle battery charge.

"Daytime driving lights" are not "running lights".
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
If you have the inverter kit option, remember that your "running lights" need to be on to activate the power circuit for the inverter. This was done to help prevent draining your battery from leaving the Segway(s) charging when the vehicle is off. Most vehicles will complain when you get out with your lights still on to also remind you and protect your vehicle battery charge.

"Daytime driving lights" are not "running lights".
I don't have daytime driving lights -- my wife does, that wasn't introduced into the Prius until later.

But it would seem to me that daytime driving lights would be better? I find I forget to turn ON the lights. Daytime driving lights generally turn off when the vehicle is off (as do the lights on my car), so they'd shut down the charging system as well or better than the driving lights?

Of course, if you're using the socket for anything besides the Segvator, you're constrained, but if you're wiring it specifically for the Segvator, you have a choice.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
BP K9 Miami
BP K9 Miami is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
Here's what I sent to OregonForester:

"Also, keep an eye on the rubber feet on the locking arms. If the platform gets sticky (especially in hot weather) they can be pulled-off"
I can verify this statement, the hard way. I recently made a round trip Texas to Florida and when I unloaded upon my return found one of the rubber feet missing! Arrrrgggg (and other words to that effect). I've been looking for a replacement foot (feets?), but have already done the Plasti-dip from my in house stock (you'll be surprised how many things it will work on).
Old 09-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #17
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'm missing both feet. It still works, but do you sell replacements?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #18
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Rubber Feet - Help Keep Them Secure

Keep an eye on the rubber feet on the locking arms. If the Segway platform gets sticky (especially in hot weather) they can be pulled-off when lowering the Segway.

I've used Plasti-Dip (in black or clear) to dip the rubber feet section of the locking arms just up to the first slight bend point (about 1 1/2"). Coat it a couple of times letting it cure (dry) in between.

I haven't had an issue since using the Plasti-Dip. I found mine at Tru-Value hardware. A small can goes a long way.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
Jmay
Jmay is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonForester View Post
I received my SegVator on Friday.
It took about 45 minutes to assemble (15 minutes of which was removing all of the shipping tape!).
A great product! I'm very pleased.

Now, even my 9 year old granddaughter can load and unload our Segs by herself.
Has anyone mounted a Segvator on the back of a Toyota Prius? They do make a hitch for the Prius but do you think that the weight of the Segvator plus the weight of the Segway might be too much?
Jmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmay View Post
Has anyone mounted a Segvator on the back of a Toyota Prius? They do make a hitch for the Prius but do you think that the weight of the Segvator plus the weight of the Segway might be too much?
No, but you do have to be careful about clearance when going over dips, so the Segway doesn't drag. Set the Segvator on the highest position, and proceed slowly over dips, preferably at an angle so both rear tires don't hit the deepest point at the same moment.

I have a gen-1 Prius; I suspect the position is a bit higher for a gen-2 which would help, but I don't know for sure.