SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
A "tapered" curb?

In my understanding, there are basically two types of curbs.

The first is the classic granite curb, a sharp perpendicular to the street, about 6 to 8 inches tall at the gutter, with sharp square corners. A variation of this is a concrete curb, with similar dimensions, but because it is formed from concrete, the corners are not as sharp.

The other is what we call here a "cape cod curb". This is really not a curb at all, but more of a pile of asphalt that is on top of the very edge of the pavement, and is usually about 6 inches wide, and 6 inches tall, but the street side is only vertical for about an inch, then it slopes away from the road so that the top is only 2 or 3 inches wide. The back is usually vertical, but the dirt is often back filled so that there is grass at the top.

By tapered I am guessing that you mean what I am calling a cape cod curb. (It kind of looks like those tire stops that they use in parking lots alot)

I have climbed both types, in various ways. I have surely climbed from the road onto the grass up cape cod curbs types in a manner very similar to what you have described... Or maybe more simply a 45 degree climb with one tire then parallel with the road a bit, and then 45 degree climb with the other tire...

On a short enough granite curb, I prefer to hit it at about a 45 degree angle with the first tire, or even steeper to 60 degrees, because I need a lot of the tread to catch that sharp edge. Then with only one wheel up, I parallel the road a bit before the 2nd tire hits... Next, when I have what I deem to be the proper speed (depends on many things, including my courage that day) I turn the seg as close to 90 degrees as I can, and climb the second tire...

I have done this a fair amount, and do not fear doing it, but also do not do it that much. I am not unhappy to stay either on the road or on the sidewalk a bit further if I can avoid this whole situation, and wait for a curb cut... I more do it when I must than for fun or for the sake of it...

I do not consider myself a particularly wimpy glider, but neither am I trying to prove anything to myself or anyone else... OF course, I am not that mature from time to time either, so when I start to play, I also do not take the most conservative route, and may do just about anything on the seg...
I find the technique you described to be very effective, although it's worth mentioning that this technique doesn't really work with stock tires on a wooden curb and almost pulled a face plant as I rotated my second tire up over the curb and encountered wheel slip...thankfully I recovered.
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
Tory
Tory is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
I've gone up very wide and long steps as high as curb height on my i167 by rolling parallel to the step and letting the tire 'walk' up via the sidewall, then reversing and letting the opposite wheel do the same. Doesn't work well on a stair that isnt at least a foot deep tho, and if its much taller than a curb it scratches the crap out of your battery. I dont recommend it much.
Bill Paxton gave me my morning giggle when he said it got down to 35 but was going back up to 70 that day. Bill please remember your Canadian gliders that encounter 40 BELOW. ( FYI) 40 BELOW is the same in Fahrenheit as it is in Celcius . Now that I'm old and partially wise I am a snow bird for Jan. and Feb.and spend it in the warmer parts of the good old U.S.A. ( P.S. thanks Bill for the not intentional humor) Tory ( :
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
Bill Paxton gave me my morning giggle when he said it got down to 35 but was going back up to 70 that day. Bill please remember your Canadian gliders that encounter 40 BELOW. ( FYI) 40 BELOW is the same in Fahrenheit as it is in Celcius . Now that I'm old and partially wise I am a snow bird for Jan. and Feb.and spend it in the warmer parts of the good old U.S.A. ( P.S. thanks Bill for the not intentional humor) Tory ( :
I understand - I grew up in Detroit (I miss hockey) where a bad snowplow of the road meant waking up an hour early to shovel the driveway. When I graduated college I made a beeline to S. FL and I'll never go back!!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
jocekortan
jocekortan is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Nope, it can't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
jocekortan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Darn, oh well. Thanks for the advice.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote