SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
rb608
rb608 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Paranoid about theft of Segway MiniPro

My partner recently picked up a Minipro on Amazon Prime day, and it's very cool. (I'm kicking myself for not getting one too.) Part of her reason was practical in that back and hip issues limit her walking; so the Minipro seemed a great solution.

We're planning a vacation that will involve visiting several historic places, shops, etc.; and I'm expecting to have to leave the Minipro outside for some if not most places. I'm very concerned about theft. Yeah, it has the locking feature, the alarm feature, and the notification feature; but let's face it, it weighs 28 pounds and it's not hard to pick up and run off with.

I realize it's a relatively new item, but is there any history of theft being an issue? Are there security products (locks, cable, etc.) others can recommend to keep the little thing safe outside while we're inside a building?

TIA
rb608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think I would pick up a length of chain and a good lock. With a cable it might be hard to wrap it around something securely, but with a chain I think you could loop it around the vertical post on the minipro and then around whatever fixed object is nearby

Don't think I would trust leaving it outside without it being locked. It is small and light enough you can probably take it inside most places, but if you can't . . . . lock it up!

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Hey rb608,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb608 View Post
My partner recently picked up a Minipro on Amazon Prime day, and it's very cool. (I'm kicking myself for not getting one too.) Part of her reason was practical in that back and hip issues limit her walking; so the Minipro seemed a great solution.
Just FYI, Amazon has put the miniPROs on sale again. $798 instead of the $699 prime day special--but still a pretty awesome price for a Segway IMO.
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Lutch
Lutch is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Yeah I live in a pretty safe place and won't risk leaving it out unsecured. The MiniPro does have the guide stick thingy which I use in the grocery, bank etc etc. Not a problem in my area. Most people are inquisitive. Other than that, chain it.
Lutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Segwaiian
Segwaiian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default I Struggle With A Solution, Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I think I would pick up a length of chain and a good lock. With a cable it might be hard to wrap it around something securely, but with a chain I think you could loop it around the vertical post on the minipro and then around whatever fixed object is nearby

Don
Seems to me that anyone who knows about the quick release lock for the knee control bar could remove the bar and get around that chaining option.

I'm thinking that a very tight figure-of-eight loop around the base and center cabin might work. Both loops would wrap over and under the base. One end of the chain could be the start of the loop and a lock U-bolt could attach that end to the center of the figure-of-eight. The free end of the chain could then wrap around a secure object and attach to the lock so that three links (both free ends and the center of the f-o-e) go through the lock's bolt/loop. The f-o-e needs to be a tight one so that a thief couldn't remove the knee control bar and jimmy the f-o-e loops over the center cabin and a wheel.

Just a thought. I'll have to get a tape measure or cord to see if this would work. The length of hardened steel chain might end up being pretty heavy.

Aloha and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
LarryW54
LarryW54 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I wonder

I wonder if it is possible to drill some type of small hole with a Bolted Eyelet to allow a cable style lock around a pole?
Thoughts??
LarryW54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

As deterrent, try getting some steel cable from Home Depot. Put a hoop with a crimp 15 inches or so from the end, and then crimped hoops at both ends. Loop the end near the mid located hoop around the minipro platform between the wheels and lock it with a padlock. Run the free end around something and lock it to the other hoops. The 15 inches is a rough estimate that needs to be adjusted to be tight enough around the platform that it can't be slipped over the wheel on the end.

Theft deterrence but not theft proof as it can be cut. But, then it is easy to take it with you by walking the small minipro or put it in a shopping cart.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
alanbredbury
alanbredbury is on a distinguished road

Default Segway ninebot lock for older and new model

This one bolts on the bottom like the add on kick stand and accepts pretty much any standard bike lock. See image attached. I will add an image with one bolted on. its still just bolted on but hopefully the potential thief isn't carrying a 5 mm hex key, included with the lock bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg segway lock small image.jpg (104.3 KB, 12 views)
alanbredbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
alanbredbury
alanbredbury is on a distinguished road

Default lock solution

This one bolts on the bottom like the add on kick stand and accepts pretty much any standard bike lock. See image attached. I will add an image with one bolted on. its still just bolted on but hopefully the potential thief isn't carrying a 5 mm hex key, included with the lock bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg segway lock small image.jpg (104.3 KB, 4 views)
alanbredbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
ChanceTran
First Timer
ChanceTran is on a distinguished road

Hi....To me a smaller than expected genius is only a celebrated drift board (no offense) When you have two PCs controlling two distinct wheels freely and something unexplained occurs (this way ) or even something clarified like running one wheel over an unnoticed stone You're going down hard. I feel your dissatisfaction. Perhaps you ought to have sent that wheel back to Amazon. Is it past the point of no return for that?
ChanceTran is offline   Reply With Quote