SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Cold weather cured my battery! (maybe?)

I have to i167's with original batteries and over the past three months, one of them dropped down to < 2 miles per charge, even after numerous reconditioning cycles. Miraculously, just this past weekend on a last-ditch reconditioning attempt - it worked! On Saturday night we rode downtown as we usually do but this time, I wasn't down 2 bars when we got there, I had only one flashing - when we left for home it was back to all solid bars! And its been consistant for 2 days not. We had previously tried swapping one battery, both, cleaning leads, 8 reconditionings - everything - but *suddenly* it is like it was never wounded and the only difference I can think of is it has been unseasonably cold here (mid 60's - that's FREEZING for a FL boy).
Do any of you gurus know if this is a feasible explanation or is it just dumb luck and we finally reconditioned the necessary number of times?
If it's indeed due to the temperature, I've only got a few months to enjoy my "awakening" battery.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Rock Star Ate My Hamster!

Hi Bill

I'm not the person to answer this but do know that the batteries have an optimal operating temperature and therefore the ambient temperature will affect the performance of the batteries.

Personally, I reckon you've just managed to get the reconditioning down to a T as I wouldn't expect the performance to vary as widely as it has for you just based on the temperature - but you should enjoy it while you can! Just wrap up well!

Cheers

Gareth
Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 AM   #3
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

I remember hearing someone say that battery charging doesn't start until the temperature dips into the 70's. In most cases, I'd think segway owners would keep their segway indoor in the AC while charging. But maybe that's not the case for you?

Another possible explanation is that your built in charger isn't doing its job across the full temperature range it's suppose to be operating at. But if you swapped batteries between machines you'd have noticed this problem and narrowed it down to this suspect piece of hardware.

I also remember someone once saying that one of their new Li-Ions was giving a red LED right out of the box. This was just when the i2's had come out about a year ago, and the person didn't want to send it back. So in a last ditch attempt to salvage things, they put the Li-Ion battery in the frig. How long? I'm not sure. Was it in the freezer? I doubt it. Do I suggest you try this? H e l l NO! But it worked for this guy...he got green LED and the batteries charged (and continued to charge later....never did hear if those batteries ended up failing early).
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote