SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yuk! Now that doesn't sound right...reminds me of when I pick up a small stone when gliding and it runs round for a moment trapped between the tyre & the fender. Is there anything wedged in that space?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

It sounds completely normal to me, save for the poor audio quality in the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewi216 View Post
would this also be true for moving only in one direction? i know the segway rapidly apllies and removes power to the motors, would that be the cause?
Yes, it is true even if you are moving in one direction. Similar to if you were to walk forward on foot, your ankles would be rapidly making adjustments to your feet to keep yourself up.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
Drewi216
Drewi216 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

no, there is nothing wedged in between the tire and the fender. Poor audio quality?!? that noise is my segway not my camera, the vibration produced by the rattling noise is enough to cause my fenders to resonate, i am sorry, but i cannot call that normal. ( I am sorry if i am coming across as arrogant, and single minded)
Drewi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have ridden many machines, and they all have their own sound... Unfortunately, I am at work and cannot listen to any recording...

Normal gear slap will be most pronounced in shifts of direction, but with so much else happening, that may not be the easiest time to hear it...

Next most pronounced, would be while gliding in one direction, while leaning forward and then straight, forward and then straight... Kind of like what you would feel if you pumped the accelerator in your car the way you might pump the brake pedal...

Normal gear slap will be easiest to hear if you are 'on' forward, then 'off' forward, then 'on' ... you get my message. This is not because there is more slap, but because there is less everything else...

If you truely had a problem, it should manifest itself more aggressively as you glide more aggressively. If the gears are not meshing properly, that will only be worse at high speeds... Harder to hear, but more important, and surely able to be felt.

You very well may have a problem, I am just trying to give a bit of context to this issue...

I would do my best to pay very particular attention to another machine, and compare them side by side. While each machine has a different sound, broken surely acts and sounds different than not broken...

Good luck with this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #15
sholloway
sholloway will become famous soon enoughsholloway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

of course I can't be sure from just that video but that sounds more like the "embarrassing" sounds I was talking about. The one we had that did it would be quiet for about 5 minutes and then start making a rather loud "grinding" noise that sounds kinda like your video. When I spoke with Segway that said something was certainly wrong and if I remember correctly it was still "safe" to ride it briefly but the noise would simply get worse and worse and would need to be repaired. I assume this will get worse but if it is loud enough to hear from more than 10 feet away or so with any sort of room noise I would say that is not normal. Check with your nearest dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #16
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

My i2 seems to have an interesting sound to it as well. I use interesting rather than ominous because it sounds more trivial than anything else, I'm thinking that my fender might be rubbing, as I might've picked up something in the fender during my travels . I dunno. Still have like 11 months of warranty left so I'm not really worried.
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #17
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

You could always swap tires from side to side if you thought there was a stone caught in the wheel (or something was rubbing on the fender). It'd also give you a chance to look at everything closely.

I have a set of aftermarket knobbies, and there's less than a mm of room between them and the fenders. If you really want to hear strange sounds come from your segway, push one of my fenders down a little. My fellow polo players laugh because when Eeyore occasionally will start braying non-stop, and they can hear me approaching from behind!

We've joked about this sound like the theme from Jaws....
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #18
Drewi216
Drewi216 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

i will try switching the wheels from side to side and see what happens, but i have stock tires on the rim, so i couldnt see something getting hung up in there
Drewi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #19
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

I'll just go ahead and mention again that this sounds completely normal to me.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #20
BringOnI2
BringOnI2 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

That's the exact sound my i180 makes at the same extra slow speed, more noticeable in power assist mode, and disappears when I increase the speed.
It's done that from day one, and hasn't worsened at all in the two years I've had it.
BringOnI2 is offline   Reply With Quote