SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

One thing to note about the RYNO is that it has a set of traditional throttle and brake controls. They function much like controlling a Segway RMP. When given the command to move forward, the control system moves the wheels backwards a bit to force a forward-lean, then forward propulsion is possible. Stopping would happen the same way a Segway enforces a slow-down/stop: The wheels are propelled ahead of the center of mass, and then safe deceleration is possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
This is the one I'd like to try out...
I want video.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Yeah, I gotta wonder about emergency / evasive maneuvering. All the videos that I can find show it being carefully operated under controlled conditions, by an experienced operator, and do not show any quick maneuvers. And, I notice the operator still must use his feet to keep it upright when stopped and during the first few feet of travel.

I would love to see it compared to a segway under a variety of road conditions, maneuvers, and evasive situations.
I would also love to see it in the conditions you mention. I have been following this pretty much from day 1 (well, maybe day 3 ) but if I think back to the early promo material for the Segway HT, we didn't see anything other than eminently sensible people riding a Segway HT in equally controlled conditions. We will have to be patient.

The only thing I can remember is one video where a ranger (complete with ranger hat I seem to recall) stops quite quickly on a path, tips his hat and then rides off. But that's all I can recall.

The owner/inventor of the Ryno has made a few disparaging comments about Segways over the years - and stated some misinformation about Segways too.

I have to see, I'm a bigger fan of the look of the proto-type in most of the videos than I am of the finished article (well, the red pre-production model). I read it will do 12.5 in sidewalk conditions and 20-25MPH on the road. For me, this thing would only have a place if it did manage speeds of 20-25MPH. If it doesn't, why would anyone choose it over a Segway PT (personal preferences aside).

Last edited by gbrandwood; 09-10-2012 at 05:28 PM..
gbrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
PaulDV
PaulDV is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I read it will do 12.5 in sidewalk conditions and 20-25MPH on the road. For me, this thing would only have a place if it did manage speeds of 20-25MPH. If it doesn't, why would anyone choose it over a Segway PT (personal preferences aside).
Speaking from a purely UK perspective, if the Ryno was legal and the Segway still was not then that would be reason enough for me.

It would still be a travesty to me though as I really want to see Segways on our pavements.
PaulDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
CovRob
CovRob will become famous soon enoughCovRob will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDV View Post
...I really want to see Segways on our pavements.
It just won't happen. Maybe on the roads/cycle paths as with electric bikes, but pavements (sidewalks)? Never.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #16
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I know I will be attacked again, but I would wait to see if this gets legalized. There are all kinds of issues on this cycle that parallel segway's difficulty in getting the endorsement from the British government.

I just do not see the path to legalization as being so quick. IF it is, it would only be a testament to the corruption of the UK government, not to anything else.

I do not know all the details of the difficulties in UK endorsement (legalization) of the segway. But I have heard of some of the other European reservations to legalization. Most were because they were trying to judge segways by older technologies that did not apply. If the UK is in the same boat, then the Ryno will not fit either. IF they update the judgement criterion, then the segway will fit as well.

We shall see. IF it comes to pass quickly, I will admit my doubts were unfounded.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
PaulDV

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovRob View Post
It just won't happen. Maybe on the roads/cycle paths as with electric bikes, but pavements (sidewalks)? Never.
Sadly, I think you're right. They won't let bikes on the pavements or pedestrianised areas so I can't see them treating Segways any different.

The really frustrating thing about it is that bikes on pavements and shopping areas are frequently ignored, but try gliding through a shopping precinct on a Segway...

That and the knowledge that Segways were designed to co-exist with pedestrians makes it all the more frustrating.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
PaulDV

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I know I will be attacked again, but I would wait to see if this gets legalized. There are all kinds of issues on this cycle that parallel segway's difficulty in getting the endorsement from the British government.

I just do not see the path to legalization as being so quick. IF it is, it would only be a testament to the corruption of the UK government, not to anything else.

I do not know all the details of the difficulties in UK endorsement (legalization) of the segway. But I have heard of some of the other European reservations to legalization. Most were because they were trying to judge segways by older technologies that did not apply. If the UK is in the same boat, then the Ryno will not fit either. IF they update the judgement criterion, then the segway will fit as well.

We shall see. IF it comes to pass quickly, I will admit my doubts were unfounded.
Before there's any question over whether or not it will be legalised, there's the small matter of whether or not the RYNO will actually be built.

If the RYNO is built, then it would (as far as I understand it) most likely fall under the classification of a motorcycle. It has headlights, taillights, brake lights and (I think) turn indicators and separate acceleration and braking controls, so it only needs licensing, insurance and a driver's licence.

The only thing I can see that would stand in the way of it gaining Type Approval would be the braking system: the Department for Transport has listed the absence of a separate braking system as being one of the reasons it deems Segways to be 'unsafe'. I don't know the technicalities, but I think it reasonable to assume that the braking system of the RYNO is very similar, if not identical, to the Segway. If so, then there's clearly a hurdle to be gotten over there.

The DfT could, of course, simply rule that any single-wheeled vehicle is inherently dangerous and apply a blanket ban...

If you want to read up on what has been said in Parliament and take a look at the DfT's stance on 'self-balancing scooters' as they call them, I'd recommend heading over the www.legalisesegways.co.uk/links2.html#legal as there's a plethora of info there to keep one amused for hours!

Last edited by PaulDV; 09-11-2012 at 09:33 AM..