SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
BringOnI2
BringOnI2 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default "Conehead" helmet liner

This invention won in this episode, the panelists going so far as to say this was worthy of being implemented as standard in all helmets.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2006698.htm

from the "Inspiration" section:

Quote:
Don went out with the traffic investigation squad to understand the accidents and to retrieve the helmets. What he discovered was bone fragments, fluid and teeth embedded into the foam but the liners showed little or no evidence of damage. This is where Don’s interest in foam liners started. Don Morgan is a Physicist from Brisbane.
The invention has already been submitted and passed double-impact tests in Europe.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 AM   #2
BringOnI2

5 yr Member

I thought I'd break my "most threads with no reply" record by replying to this one myself. "Cone Head" has gone on to be the winner in the Grand Final for this season on The New Inventors, the prize of which is lots of financial and expertise help in getting the invention onto the global market.

http://www.abc.net.au/corp/pubs/media/s2104773.htm
Old 11-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'm rather puzzled by this invention. Do helmets with this type of liner pass the recognised standard tests for energy absorption maximum brain deceleration etc? If so how are they different from a standard helmet liner? All this design does is create a much softer liner. It could be that the current standards are wrong and helmets are too stiff, but in that case any number of energy absorbing liners can be made to have equivalent characteristics without the unnecessary complexity of the cones which incidentally make the shear load connection between your head and helmet shell very dubious. One thing is certain, any helmet, even a bad one, is better than none!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
BringOnI2

5 yr Member

They apparently provide superior protection for the more vulnerable parts of the skull, and are customised based on age since the skulls of children vary greatly from adults. The tests have shown a 20% improvement on current standards compliant liners. I guess the only way to be sure in real life circumstances would be to wait for actual crashes in them.

The idea of the cones is they are the higher density embedded in lower density and smooth the transition from one to the other on impact instead of just having two distinct layers of density.

Last edited by BringOnI2; 11-29-2007 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: attempt at unpuzzlement
Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

But I don't want to be a ConeHead...

SEGsby
Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
BringOnI2

5 yr Member

Just a brief update to mention helmets that include this invention are now available. Here's an impact comparison video:

Apparently it'll also be in helmets of US police on motorbikes. A real success story from concept to product