SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Here's one for the silent majority.

Article by Craig R. Smith - WorldNetDaily, Nov. 2006

The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right? The same magazine that employs Michael (Qurans in the toilets at Gitmo) Isikoff. Here I promised myself this week I would be nice and I start off in this way. Oh what a mean man I am.

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3s of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I starting thinking, ''What are we so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter? I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all involved. Whether you are rich or poor they treat your wounds and even, if necessary, send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home, you may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of having a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes; an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells. Just ask why they are going to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book and do a TV special about how he didn't kill his wife but if he did ? insane!

Stop buying the negative venom you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

I close with one of my favorite quotes from B.C. Forbes in 1953:

''What have Americans to be thankful for? More than any other people on the earth, we enjoy complete religious freedom, political freedom, social freedom. Our liberties are sacredly safeguarded by the Constitution of the United States, 'the most wonderful work ever struck off at a given time by the brain and purpose of man.' Yes, we Americans of today have been bequeathed a noble heritage. Let us pray that we may hand it down unsullied to our children and theirs.''

I suggest this Thanksgiving we sit back and count our blessings for all we have. If we don't, what we have will be taken away. Then we will have to explain to future generations why we squandered such blessing and abundance. If we are not careful this generation will be known as the ''greediest and most ungrateful generation.'' A far cry from the proud Americans of the ''greatest generation'' who left us an untarnished legacy.
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Wow!

A most excellent post. You make many good points, and I appreciate the time you took to write it. Thank you.

There is only one thing... I suspect those numbers are just plain wrong. I honestly believe that there are far more than 30% that feel as we do, but the media is just not looking for them, and they are smart enough to see it, and don't go looking to feed the media.

I coach grade school soccer, involved in scouts, go to town meetings, and am otherwise active in my community. There are hoards of folks out there, just plain folks, who do not stand up to be polled by Newsweek, who are living the dream. They are making the fabric of our lives, helping to create an environment for our kids that is not altogether bad...

So, while there is a lot of whining out there, and it gets all the attention, but it is only a piece of what is going on...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it's a repost of an article by Craig Smith from last November.
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
ian purvis
ian purvis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
Article by Craig R. Smith - WorldNetDaily, Nov. 2006

we enjoy complete religious freedom,
I must have been mistaken that the US has entire school districts that enforce the teaching of creationism over evolution and teach kids that the earth is only 6000 years old
ian purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Repub(cough) mentality

This is probably the most sanctimonious post on chat,
Yea we Americans have it pretty good, we have more freedom then most
I agree. But what about the fact that Our American currency is at the LOWEST point
it has been at since the depression?,

the fact that we are losing THOUSANDS of American
life's in a war that we should never have entered into because our enemy was
'the axis of evil' - If I need to see evil I just look toward 1600 Pennsylvania ave.

America is a great country, its a shame that the people we choose (and trusted)
to lead us are sucking us dry.

So put your flags on your hats (or segways) and ride around and be proud.
and ignore all thats wrong.

after all, its somebody else's problem.

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
This is probably the most sanctimonious post on chat,
Yea we Americans have it pretty good, we have more freedom then most
I agree. But what about the fact that Our American currency is at the LOWEST point
it has been at since the depression?,

the fact that we are losing THOUSANDS of American
life's in a war that we should never have entered into because our enemy was
'the axis of evil' - If I need to see evil I just look toward 1600 Pennsylvania ave.

America is a great country, its a shame that the people we choose (and trusted)
to lead us are sucking us dry.

So put your flags on your hats (or segways) and ride around and be proud.
and ignore all thats wrong.

after all, its somebody else's problem.

Jonathan

Talk about santimonious! I believe the OP is a veteran, and I surely am one. We stepped up. How about the rest of the posters? There are surely many ways to step up, and if sitting in your lonely computer garrett is your way, telling others what should have happend, or what others should do, that is fine.

My impression of the OP's point, is that when there is actual work to do, and actual boots on the ground to do it, those boots are not those who sit around and complain.

I work every day to make this a better place. I work hard at it. I don't just sit on this computer and tell others what they should have done, or they should have known, or they should have anything...

The world is full of doers, and talkers. If you have a better plan, don't sit in your home and lecture others, take a stand, do some work, and make the world resemble what you want it to.

Nothing worthwhile is easily done. Not much that is easily done, is worthwhile.

Throwing money at a problem does not solve it. Saying someone else should have done this, or done that, does not solve it.

Jon himself has challenged the laws in NYC. Agree with him or not, he took an action. We should respect his effort, regardless the result.

Others have taken on challenges, some worked out well, others not so much. Sitting around and yammering solves nothing. If you do not like the current administration, do something about it...

I love to hear about all those with BDS who knew he was a problem from the start. If that was so, why was he re-elected? You can claim all you want, but the Dems are no angels when it comes to dead people voting, all manner of abuse all over the place. Both parties are corrupt. But... He was re-elected. It was not that close...

If he was soooo bad, as those with 20 - 20 hindsight now say, why was there no landslide to get him out? Maybe because so many people sat at home and complained? I don't know.

I do know that you can call people names all you like. Doing something about it is very different.

You can agree with me, my philosphy or have a very different one. It does not matter.

What does matter, is that you actually go out, and get yourself working on making what you want to see. Stop telling others what to do, and start telling them to join you in doing it.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
....America is a great country, its a shame that the people we choose (and trusted) to lead us are sucking us dry.
Jonathan
I have to say that I couldn't agree with you more, Jonathan.

Of course, the one little detail that isn't mentioned as much is that the President has never passed a single budget bill! Ever!!

He can only sign (or veto) whatever the Congress (in it's infinite wisdom) has sent to the White House for signature.

And of course the Congress would never think of earmarking billions of dollars for porkbarrel projects so they look good to their constituients, would they??? And tying them to essential funding???

One of the greatest reforms for this nation would be a TRUE line-item veto. There would be some abuses, from each party during it's occupancy of the White House, but I think the money saved over a few decades would be enough to provide quality national health care, and a Segway in every driveway.
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
I love to hear about all those with BDS who knew he was a problem from the start. If that was so, why was he re-elected?
Who (or what) the hell is BDS?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I've always felt that veterans who think that their opinions should carry more weight never really understood the Constitution that they vowed to "support and defend". It's kinda, well, sanctimonious.

JohnM
Manchester, NH
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

I blame Heinlein and Starship Troopers.

Especially.