SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Bellinger
Bellinger is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default making a I2 stiff ......

No funny thoughts here... I'm looking for a way to make the second generation machines like the first generation. In other words, a solide (stiff) stear and the possibility to turn with a handle.
Hope you understand, excuse for the lausy english.....

Thanks, greetings,

Bob (from Holland...)
Bellinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Is it possible, well maybe but I would suggest that if you need a solid shaft look for a used Gen I.
The mods to convert a gen II would be $$$ even if possible.

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default The gen two is not designed like that

Though I have seen units that have been modified so that you used your knees to turn.

Sounds like you need the stability of something to hold on to. You would be better off with an I-167, I-170, I-180, XT or P-133.

Also you have a Netherlands user Florin who is on this site, he is very knowledgable about the Segways, and is working on the EU SegwayFesTs and the Segway Polo events.

I would suggest you think about attending those events if you are looking for a Segway, you will no doubt find someone selling something that will work for you there.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #4
Bellinger

5 yr Member

Thanks Tarkus, Will for the advice. Let me give you some more info. In the Netherlands I promote the use of Segways by disabled people. As a father of a child with Pulmonary Hypertension a was looking a few years ago for a mobility solution for Tim. We would not put him in a weelchair for several reasons. Found the Segway on the internet and moved mountains to get that thing for our son. For 4 years now he is riding a P-serie Segway, very happely. Seeing him being so happy with the machine I wondered why other disabled children or adults wheren't riding Segways to. After two years strugling I know now why. The Segway is not being promoted by disabled people for several reasons .... to long story to tell. So I'm doing it on non profit base. Having a normal job and hating to earn money from disabled people I enjoy the times that I can advice and demonstrate this fine machine to people who can realy use them. The problem is that the first generation machines are not build anymore..... So for the near future I'm looking for a way to make an I2 for example as a first generation machine. Tim, my son rides a P-serie and I demo with an I180 and an I167.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinger View Post
No funny thoughts here... I'm looking for a way to make the second generation machines like the first generation. In other words, a solide (stiff) stear and the possibility to turn with a handle.

Thanks, greetings,

Bob (from Holland...)
We understand fine! Not many of us would understand Dutch...

Could you explain why you want to do this? There may be other approaches to solving your problem.

One thought I've had is to convert an i2 to knee-steer, and attach a rigid hand-frame. I think this might give the best of both worlds, and for those needing stability assistance, might actually be better than a gen1

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
Bellinger

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
We understand fine! Not many of us would understand Dutch...

Could you explain why you want to do this? There may be other approaches to solving your problem.

One thought I've had is to convert an i2 to knee-steer, and attach a rigid hand-frame. I think this might give the best of both worlds, and for those needing stability assistance, might actually be better than a gen1
Sounds great Bob,

Gave a reaction earlier, is still under auspicion of the modrator I think.
Have trouble to imaging your solution, can I see it in a picture or drawing somewhere?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
budsiskos
budsiskos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

well you would have to dissasemble the mounting bracket that the leansteer pivots on and find if it uses a potentiometer or a rotary encoder. if your lucky it will just be an oversized potentiometer and you can easily find its resistance value with a multimeter and then just buy a smaller one from radioshack and wire it to the connections of the old one. But, if your unlucky it will be a rotary encoder and youl have to spend several hours or even days finding the correct pin-out of the old one so that you can attach a smaller one for handle control.
budsiskos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Thanks Tarkus, Will for the advice. Let me give you some more info. In the Netherlands I promote the use of Segways by disabled people. As a father of a child with Pulmonary Hypertension a was looking a few years ago for a mobility solution for Tim. We would not put him in a weelchair for several reasons. Found the Segway on the internet and moved mountains to get that thing for our son. For 4 years now he is riding a P-serie Segway, very happely. Seeing him being so happy with the machine I wondered why other disabled children or adults wheren't riding Segways to. After two years strugling I know now why. The Segway is not being promoted by disabled people for several reasons .... to long story to tell. So I'm doing it on non profit base. Having a normal job and hating to earn money from disabled people I enjoy the times that I can advice and demonstrate this fine machine to people who can realy use them. The problem is that the first generation machines are not build anymore..... So for the near future I'm looking for a way to make an I2 for example as a first generation machine. Tim, my son rides a P-serie and I demo with an I180 and an I167.
What you are doing is really great! How old was Tim when he started using a Segway?

There is a kid in a local middle-school -- twelve years old when I talked to him and his parents about 9 months ago -- who uses a Segway. He uses it in and out of school. I could see how much he appreciated being able to get around. The drawback, of course, was the attention. Things like kids suddenly sticking out their feet so they'd get run over because they thought that was funny. (And people think these things are dangerous!)

A lot of people with a wide variety of disabilities can and do use the gen-2 machines quite successfully. I think the gen-2 machines are superior in a lot of ways, when the need for a rigid hand-hold is not an absolute requirement. Having the steering integrated with your left-right balance is a big advantage. It makes it easier to learn and use, and it makes it safer.

Yet having options is good. There are definitely people who need something rigid. I'll see if I can come up with some sort of sketch off my idea. Are you familiar with other knee-steer modifications? There's one commercially available for use with Steadi-Cam filming for the movie industry. Basically, there's a part that goes between the knees, and that does the steering instead of the hands. You can actually easily do this on an unmodified gen-2, but the modifications give you a wider range.

Unfortunately, there are also people who need something smaller, and there is no equivalent to the p-133. (Though I wonder if one can still buy an RMP-50, and then modify it back into a p-133?)

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you get comfortable with an i2, both for yourself, and for those who are disabled who can use it. For many people, it will be the better choice, and will get harder and harder to obtain gen-1 machines and to repair them. Perhaps a dealer would loan you one or two to help you make the switch. (Or not so much switching, as expanding your range of options).

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:

Thanks, greetings,

Bob (from Holland...)
OK I can't take it any more. I read the heading day after day, I tried to be good but..

Heres the answer:
http://www.accessrx.com/

Sorry had to do it !

Be Big,
Alan

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
OK I can't take it any more. I read the heading day after day, I tried to be good but..

Heres the answer:
http://www.accessrx.com/

Sorry had to do it !

Be Big,
Alan
With a signature like yours, we figured you'd be familiar with that product.

. (couldn't resist either)
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote