SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by b777ord View Post
Does anyone have experience with their PTs on a transit system? I looked at several transit websites in the cities of schools I have applied to and they mention bikes but not PTs.
Able bodied users follow the bike rules on DC's subway system METRO. usable off hours and weekends except for special high volume holidays, no gliding in the station, just push or power assist your machine into the station and use the elevators. But with the Li Ion battery, you can get around DC pretty easily and be able to use Metro when the time is right.

If you have a disability, you go down to WAMTA headquarters and take a test and get a sticker for the PT and you are a go any time on our METRO system.

Bus systems are different, because only the DC Circulator bus can accomodate the PT, and that does not go everywhere in DC.

We have a lot of good schools in and around DC!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
robochick84
robochick84 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I used my P133 while studying at Penn State University Park, graduating last spring. While living in State College, I had several options including a 4 mile glide to campus, or a glide from my apartment to the bus stop, then take the bus to campus. As a disabled user, I would glide into the building, grab an elevator, and glide right to the classroom.

A few words of wisdom, if you are disabled and want these rights you need to be willing to stand up for them. Take a little time to learn the states laws. Find out where your Transportation Office is, and set up a meeting if you choose too at the University.

I lived in Philadelphia for a year and a half, using SEPTA only when needed too, due to the arogance of the train conductors. Once again, public transportation is a place to know your rights.

I recently returned from a trip to Germany, and have found even international barriers can be pushed when you identify yourself with your nationality, and insist on the rights that you have here.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my P133, and I am glad that I choose that model. The small footprint works well in elevators, escalators, and stairs if need be. I frequently take it to the mall with me, or any large department store that is harder to navigate. Tailgating with 100's of thousands of people have proven no problem, and even its small tires have got me through a little snow when needed. That would be my only regret is a larger model to have options for tires.

Good luck!

Ashley
Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robochick84 View Post
I used my P133 while studying at Penn State University Park, graduating last spring. While living in State College, I had several options including a 4 mile glide to campus, or a glide from my apartment to the bus stop, then take the bus to campus. As a disabled user, I would glide into the building, grab an elevator, and glide right to the classroom.

A few words of wisdom, if you are disabled and want these rights you need to be willing to stand up for them. Take a little time to learn the states laws. Find out where your Transportation Office is, and set up a meeting if you choose too at the University.

I lived in Philadelphia for a year and a half, using SEPTA only when needed too, due to the arogance of the train conductors. Once again, public transportation is a place to know your rights.

I recently returned from a trip to Germany, and have found even international barriers can be pushed when you identify yourself with your nationality, and insist on the rights that you have here.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my P133, and I am glad that I choose that model. The small footprint works well in elevators, escalators, and stairs if need be. I frequently take it to the mall with me, or any large department store that is harder to navigate. Tailgating with 100's of thousands of people have proven no problem, and even its small tires have got me through a little snow when needed. That would be my only regret is a larger model to have options for tires.

Good luck!

Ashley
Ashley,

I enjoyed your Blog and pics.
http://simplystated.de/

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
JimNPHX
JimNPHX is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b777ord View Post
I am now a senior in high school and just finished my college applications. For college I am thinking of getting a PT to use at school and beyond on light rail/metro systems. Does anyone have experience using a PT on a campus? I am applying to schools with campuses that are very spread out, and although I can walk, I get overtired easily.
Hello,

I go to Arizona State University and ride my i2 to and on campus every day. (I bought my seg in Nov of 06 and have not used my car since!)
I did have a challenge in the beginning because the university did not acknowledge Segways as a legal mode of transportation. This has since been resolved and it is a joy to use. I do caution you on the skateboarders and bike riders who do not respect other people and the rules. (*This does not mean everyone.) Also, even the walkers seem to abide by their own rules and reasoning as to where/how to walk. The point being is that you need to be very cautious and proficient with riding to handle the bustling crowds of students. (Talking on the phone, texting, worrying about makeup . . .)
Not trying to discourage you, just an FYI. I have used the first generation and now the i2 and feel that the i2 is by far an easier way to handle this type of crowd. (1st gens please do not be offended)
Also, because of my personal experience with my university, I would suggest inquiring first as to whether they will allow a segway.

BTW: I just lock mine up to a bike rack with a cable lock. I have never had an issue with anything in reference to someone else and my segway. I have even brought into buildings on a rainy day (yes it rains in AZ) and had them in elevators.

Again, just an FYI, not trying to discourage you. I bought my segs before even inquiring about ASU allowing them, and was very frustrated (even heartbroken) while we "worked" out the issues. The thought of not being able to use my segway was a killer!

Jim
JimNPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #15
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Thumbs up Ahead of the curve

Above all, the machine has no feeling, it feels no fear and no hope...it operates according to the pure logic of probability.
For this reason I assert that the robot perceives more accurately than man.
It's not what you know
It's what cha do.
perception is no more than an excuse for a reason, you with me?.
lean this way that way and just do no more that stand there and tell me what you see?
Colleges are as great as their attentees.
Have a nice day.
Don't let me stop you.
Crash
Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #16
fathertime
fathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Smile

Hi b777ord
We are your local dealer and would be glad to show you the differences of the machines in person and give you a demo. We have lots of experience with campus use as we were the first to roll out the Segway at IIT's campus. Plan to spend a little time at our store and we can give you the whole picture of what's possible.
LaGrange, Il. 60525
(708) 352-1685
fathertime is offline   Reply With Quote