SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:15 AM   #1
ajl
ajl

5 yr Member
Default Questions about Seniors using Segway

My hubby is 65 and has COPD. He uses oxygen and has difficulty walking distances. He's to proud to use a scooter for mobility. He is interested in the Segway. He is fit other than the breathing problems. Anyone in this age group who can give us feedback would be appreciated. I see mostly young folks using these. I have questions about how fast they start up when you lean forward, questions about balancing on them etc. Thanks in advance.
Linda
ajl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #2
SegwayBill
SegwayBill

5 yr Member

Linda
Unlike a scooter or wheel chair a Segway sometimes must be assisted by the operator, which can require some skill,strength and agility.

It would not be safe or legal to carry a standard oxygen bottle on a Segway.

Segways fall over sometimes. Usually when there is no rider on it, the oxygen tube would get short very quickly.

I only demo people with disabilites, I always drive the machine against a solid object like a wall or lamp post.
For some just standing on a staionary Segway is a very powerful experience. If a person gets past staionary, I will gently push their shoulder so they go Backwards. For some that is too much and I return them to wall. Other progress quickly and are spining and smiling.
It is worth a try, go to a local Segway store or contact another owner thru SegwayChat.

Bill
SegwayBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

I would certainly go to a Segway retailer near you to try one out. Additionally, I would post this question at the main forum - you will get a lot more replies there. There are users in their 80's and maybe more so it's certainly not a 'young peoples' machine. I am 56 myself and use the Seg (I have MS).

It sounds as if your husband is otherwise fit and could manage the stepping up and off the Seg without a problem. With less exertion needed to ride the Seg - is there perhaps a smaller more portable oxygen tank he could use? One that could be carried in a backpack or in the front carrier?

As I said - please post your question at the main forum for more replies. You can also do a search to find if there are retailers/users near you who would be willing to give you a trial on the Seg. Good luck

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
citybugger
citybugger

5 yr Member

I'm 81 and received my p-series Segway this week. I have a congenital condition that progressively limits my ability to walk without canes or climb stairs without handrails, and for several years I've been using electric scooters to get around neighborhoods, malls, etc. Even though the Segway is not recommended for folks with such disabilities, I gambled that I could learn to use one by employing certain adjustments. So far, so good. Here's how I'm proceeding:

Using power assist mode, I back the Segway up against a step or curb where the platform is about level with the rise I'm standing on. Switching to balance mode I can easily step onto the platform. Once mounted, I can practice all the beginner's moves. After only two half-hour practice sessions, I already feel fairly confident with the rig.

Riding the Segway is especially important to me because I'm a tennis coach who's had to sit on his scooter while instructing. My goal is to become sufficiently skilled with the Segway to move around the court and demonstrate strokes and tactics while mounted. I figure I can reach that goal within a few weeks. I may have to design a portable riser for assistance in stepping on and off.
citybugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by citybugger

Riding the Segway is especially important to me because I'm a tennis coach who's had to sit on his scooter while instructing. My goal is to become sufficiently skilled with the Segway to move around the court and demonstrate strokes and tactics while mounted. I figure I can reach that goal within a few weeks. I may have to design a portable riser for assistance in stepping on and off.
Now _that_ is cool and inspiring. Wow.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #6
fathertime
fathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

X-Man is an expert in this area and will have some sage advice for you. I'll see if I can raise him.

JR
fathertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
X-man
X-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Location: As a full time RVer, I'm on a road somewhere in the west
5 yr Member

I responded to this shortly after it was first posted. I did not get a comment from the thread initiator and therefore removed my post.
I do not believev that anything I say is worthy of being written in stone and frequently remove postings after a period of time has passed.
Watch this go in due time.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha

X-man is offline   Reply With Quote