SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Activity level while I was gone

Looking at how things went over the last few weeks, I've been heartened to see moderator involvement in daily postings increase! In the past, we'd be lucky to have them stop in every few days and chime in with their opinions and views. But several made a significant effort over the last few weeks to do so, and I hope it continues.

I also noticed these same folks were in the chatroom quite often, and I'm looking forward to that continuing. It's great to see the leaders of the community encourage everyone to participate in the "newly discovered" features like the chatroom. Leading by example is always the best way to do it! (Besides the mods got the added benefit of personally experiencing annoying functionality like the chatroom's "boot after 30 minutes of no typing" setting. That's gotta change, and now they understand first hand why.)

Looking back with the wayback machine, in the middle of 2007 I saw that roughly 85 posts appeared every day on SC on the average. I could have tried to find more recent numbers, but I'm betting all the daily postings stats from late in 2007 were skewed by a certain race to 2500 posts. (Gee...who did that? 8^) 8^) 8^)) At some point in the future, I'm going to have fun in seeing what the activity level was on SC for early 2008 going into mid 2008. It'll be an interesting comparison to my above data (and a chance to necro this thread)!

ps - Also some key non-moderators had big jumps in their activity level over the last few weeks, and I think it's fantastic that they've renewed their interest in SC. As we move forward, I'm sure their continued participation will make this a lively place!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_pro View Post
Looking at how things went over the last few weeks, I've been heartened to see moderator involvement in daily postings increase! In the past, we'd be lucky to have them stop in every few days and chime in with their opinions and views. But several made a significant effort over the last few weeks to do so, and I hope it continues.

I also noticed these same folks were in the chatroom quite often, and I'm looking forward to that continuing. It's great to see the leaders of the community encourage everyone to participate in the "newly discovered" features like the chatroom. Leading by example is always the best way to do it! (Besides the mods got the added benefit of personally experiencing annoying functionality like the chatroom's "boot after 30 minutes of no typing" setting. That's gotta change, and now they understand first hand why.)

Looking back with the wayback machine, in the middle of 2007 I saw that roughly 85 posts appeared every day on SC on the average. I could have tried to find more recent numbers, but I'm betting all the daily postings stats from late in 2007 were skewed by a certain race to 2500 posts. (Gee...who did that? 8^) 8^) 8^)) At some point in the future, I'm going to have fun in seeing what the activity level was on SC for early 2008 going into mid 2008. It'll be an interesting comparison to my above data (and a chance to necro this thread)!

ps - Also some key non-moderators had big jumps in their activity level over the last few weeks, and I think it's fantastic that they've renewed their interest in SC. As we move forward, I'm sure their continued participation will make this a lively place!
I agree with you Polo_pro..... I think it is great to see the moderators step up to the plate and contribute to the forum a little more. I just hope this wasn't just a temporary stunt to neutralize scrutiny! Only time will tell! I, as well, enjoy chatting with you all on livechat, although today it keeps saying there's a server error. Anyway, just wanted to drop in with my two sense. Have a great day!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
nora k
nora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:

having fewer moderator issues provides time for the mods to post to the boards.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:

I really have no problem with this post, but I wonder how you determine who is a leader in this community. The moderators have a job to do here, and it clearly is not a democracy. They do their jobs, as they see fit, and as this is a private site, they have every right and authority to to that job as their boss sees fit.

I wonder if this entitles them to the title of 'leader'. If they were elected, I would understand that term. If they are simply appointed by one quy, who has not been active in years, but still owns this site, I would think their title may more appropriately be 'Frank's representatives' .

Again, I have no argument about most of this post, but leading me; this I am not comfortable with...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I wonder if this entitles them to the title of 'leader'.
Karl, there are really two very distinct types of leaders in the world; those that have been, in one way or another, officially "anointed" and those that people simply look up to.

I personally look up to a number of people that I consider to be leaders in fields but were never anointed by anyone.

Think about your own life. Do you only look up to "officials" or are there people that don't have titles and are yet still experts?

Meanwhile, i can think of quite a few "leaders" that have been officially anointed that I don't have any respect for whatsoever.

Last edited by quade; 03-02-2008 at 01:32 AM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I really have no problem with this post, but I wonder how you determine who is a leader in this community. The moderators have a job to do here, and it clearly is not a democracy. They do their jobs, as they see fit, and as this is a private site, they have every right and authority to to that job as their boss sees fit.

I wonder if this entitles them to the title of 'leader'. If they were elected, I would understand that term. If they are simply appointed by one quy, who has not been active in years, but still owns this site, I would think their title may more appropriately be 'Frank's representatives' .

Again, I have no argument about most of this post, but leading me; this I am not comfortable with...
And I'm not entirely comfortable with labeling someone a leader just because they were elected.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #7
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
I agree with you Polo_pro..... I think it is great to see the moderators step up to the plate and contribute to the forum a little more. I just hope this wasn't just a temporary stunt to neutralize scrutiny! Only time will tell! I, as well, enjoy chatting with you all on livechat, although today it keeps saying there's a server error. Anyway, just wanted to drop in with my two sense. Have a great day!

Jeremy Ryan
tricky punster
-segsurfer

segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Activity level while I was gone
You were gone?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Nah, he wasn't gone. He was in live chat almost every night .
Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote