SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Goodbaum
Goodbaum is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Banned from grocery store: human rights issue

Hi, it's a long story but I just wanted to post a few details about what happened to me.

A particular security guard who works on the weekends at a particular super market in Toronto has confronted me previously about my Segway. This time she got an employee to tell me I shouldn't come back and then when I asked to talk to the manager I was told it looked unsafe and was banned from the store. This is after I explained to them that I am differently abled and am not able to shop without it because I can't walk more than a few steps currently due to chronic centrally prolapsed disc. I was treated extremely rudely and took it upon myself to call the police who nonetheless compounded the problem by not coming to help and referring me to the human rights council. The human rights council law advise help line didn't help me! In fact they acted like I had no right to be upset because of the rareness of the Segway, even repeating what the store clerk had said, saying that I should have brought a doctors note that says I need a Segway. Nevermind that that violates me privacy and is clearly ableist.

After having another store, the Beer Store mock me and harass me when I came in until a manager set things right (I was told that degenerative disc disease is "just something everyone goes through as they age and they learn to deal with it and get over it" after I had already explained that I've had Guillain Barre for seven years and am partially paralyzed.

I finally took the issue to my local counselor and she is going to contact the MP as well as look into what legal issues are at play here, so hopefully this unfair treatment will stop soon. There should be a permit or some kind of thing to solve this problem.

Anyways other than that so far so amazing.
Goodbaum is offline   Reply With Quote