SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Earmic
Earmic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Info key questions

So I go start the Seg I2 recently after a winter break, and it takes two pushes to start it up. Then yesterday, it didn't work at all unless I pushed the button many times.
getting it closer to the radio board doesn't help. My secondary key also starting to show same signs. Was able to get thru it okay. The screen on the key went blank also, first thoughts were the batt. Changed the batt in the first key, checked at 3.1 volts. (no load remember) and it didn't seem to help much. Could still get it to start with some aggravation. Same on shut down. Question 1: When I push the start button on the key, I notice the antenna symbol will come on for a second or two, then go out. Rinse and repeat. Does the key have 2 way comms on two freqs with the seg (send and receive) or does it share one send/receive channel. (that's my guess). I'll guess the antenna symbol is the key sending a start sig to the seg? What freq does it use? I also know the history of the batteries for these keys, I am going to find a way to "load test' these cells like a car battery to get an better indication of cell condition.
Earmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Earmic

5 yr Member

Update, I made a load tester for the 3v batts for the info key, and sure enough, when I test on the multimeter (no load) it reads 3.1v. Put the load on it, it drops out real quick, then a “recharge” and it will read 3v again. Load it up and it dies. Tested several “new” batts and found 1 that holds under a load. Installed in the key, and bingo, start 1st try. I have a 4 pack of these from amazon and 2 weren’t so good.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Earmic

5 yr Member

Oh forgot to mention, the tester is a 3v flashlight bulb, these are getting hard to find with everything led nowadays. I think an led, with its low current drain, would give a not so dependable result.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

No expert here but I think a light bulb is a killer load for that small battery and you were lucky to find one that held up. But you got it turned on!
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I buy my InfoKey batteries on eBay and only get Sony branded ones. They last 2 or 3 years. They're less than $3 each (with free shipping) and less than $2 each if you buy two and even less than that if you buy 4 or 5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pcs-SONY-...ss!39565!US!-1

There are other good brands out there (Maxell and Duracell) but the Sony ones work best for me

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
Earmic

5 yr Member

Yes, probably a little more than the info key will use, but when I found the good ones, they made the bulb shine as long as I held the wires to it, 5-10 seconds.