SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
mark1qhorsey
mark1qhorsey is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question Insurance? What Insurance?

There are a lot of aftermarket items, hitches, trailers, kid-packs, lean seats, ad nauseum that are being produced and sold through Segoutlets. Think of marketing it to them - through an existing outlet. The lean steer is likely of too minor impact on seg sales to set up and sell with a new LLC. Get it out there for the advanced users community! Yeah, and share the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvelke View Post
Maybe never - unless we can find an underwriter to insure it or a manufacturer who is willing to do so.
mark1qhorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default Handlebars are for wimps.

I haven't used handlebars for well over a year. Everyone who wanted to try it did so at Segfest (I hope.) Olaf (der German) and I rode each others around the hotel. FUN.

There is no learning curve to handsfree if you can ride a Segway. Just get on and Glliiiiide.

It is an experience not to be missed.

DrMarty
Can I carry that for you? I have a free hand.
drmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarty View Post
I haven't used handlebars for well over a year. Everyone who wanted to try it did so at Segfest (I hope.) Olaf (der German) and I rode each others around the hotel. FUN.

There is no learning curve to handsfree if you can ride a Segway. Just get on and Glliiiiide.

It is an experience not to be missed.

DrMarty
Can I carry that for you? I have a free hand.

I can attest to Marty's great machine... I too rode it, and have been in the cellar making my own hands free seg... Thanks for the great ideas, that are really not that hard to replicate...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 AM   #14
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default What me worry?

Go Karl.

marty
drmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #15
MiamiBeachPatrol
MiamiBeachPatrol is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default LegSteer (hands free)

Karl, bvelke, funky-move, segway of indiana, Drmarty, itbeme, olaf....
Any of you skilled innovators wanna post some up close and personal photos?
We could all compare pros/cons of each LeanSteer frame......... and improve on subsequent designs.
No one's gonna get rich modifying the proprietary frame originating from Segway Inc. ... but together we could come up with something really coooooool.
--- And very possibly (probably) better than the original.

From their videos, Toyota seems to have done a pretty good job on the legsteer frame itself i.e. on their smallest "Winglet" (their attempt on mainstreaming their copycat model).
... Could also be an opportunity to show Jobs (Steve Jobs) the creative collective brain of this community.
--- Just a thought.

I know I'd be interested in adopting the creme de la creme of the LeanSteer on all my i2s.

Michael
MiamiBeachPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBeachPatrol View Post
Karl, bvelke, funky-move, segway of indiana, Drmarty, itbeme, olaf....
Any of you skilled innovators wanna post some up close and personal photos?
We could all compare pros/cons of each LeanSteer frame......... and improve on subsequent designs.
No one's gonna get rich modifying the proprietary frame originating from Segway Inc. ... but together we could come up with something really coooooool.
--- And very possibly (probably) better than the original.

From their videos, Toyota seems to have done a pretty good job on the legsteer frame itself i.e. on their smallest "Winglet" (their attempt on mainstreaming their copycat model).
... Could also be an opportunity to show Jobs (Steve Jobs) the creative collective brain of this community.
--- Just a thought.

I know I'd be interested in adopting the creme de la creme of the LeanSteer on all my i2s.

Michael

This is a good idea. I have made a couple versions of this handsfree rig...

I used some lexan to make the device that needs to be held by your legs, but then I broke it, using it kind of like a handle to guide it up a ramp when I was not on it... I am continuing to modify and improve...

I would love seeing the 'leg cups' or grips from other machines...

I think it was itbeme who had some great padded medical device looking ones, and Dr. Marty had some plexiglass/lexan ones that were better than mine. I wonder what others use...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #17
JBeattie
JBeattie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I would be very careful trying to build and sell a handsfree set up.

Ulrick and Reinhard own the patent on the handsfree control. Building one for personal use is one thing. Trying to build and market is another. I know they spent a lot of time and money developing the idea. I have theirs and its amazing and is build as you would expect a German to build such a piece.

In speaking to them I know they will/are actively pursuing anyone they find infringing on their patent.
JBeattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeattie View Post

Ulrick and Reinhard own the patent on the handsfree control. Building one for personal use is one thing. Trying to build and market is another. I know they spent a lot of time and money developing the idea. I have theirs and its amazing and is build as you would expect a German to build such a piece.

In speaking to them I know they will/are actively pursuing anyone they find infringing on their patent.
If you are referring to a modified Gen1, I can understand a patent. Given that some people have been know to steer the standard handlebar by using their knees, it seems inconceivable to me that a patent could be issued for a shorter padded version of the "handlebar" between your legs.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #19
JBeattie
JBeattie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
If you are referring to a modified Gen1, I can understand a patent. Given that some people have been know to steer the standard handlebar by using their knees, it seems inconceivable to me that a patent could be issued for a shorter padded version of the "handlebar" between your legs.
the guys at handsfree-transporter.com have gone further than that.

theirs telescopes for height adjustments. the saddle can be moved foward and back, it also can butterfly in and out to fit the distance between your legs.

its not just a cut down post with a plexi saddle.

like i said the do it yourself project is cool. but making and selling a modification you may very well find yourself getting a letter from their patent lawyer.

Its just a heads up.

JBeattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeattie View Post

I have never seen their machine, nor do I care. If I modify a segway in a manner that appears to be similar to what they have, regardless of their patents, it will not be an action they can win...

If they designed a piece that modifies another persons marketed device, and it fits a particular need, another who fits that need and did not buy and copy their design is safe. Even if they come up with a nearly identical modification... There are just so many adjustments that may be practical, and if you have them or not, they cannot patent an idea that is already in the public domain...