SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
MacJeepster
MacJeepster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question I'm returning my MiniPRO

A few weeks ago I bought a Ninebot MinPRO and I've been practicing in empty parking lots because I planned to use it around people since I don't walk very well. Yesterday, I felt confident enough to start riding on the sidewalk in my neighborhood.
It didn't go well.
May of the sidewalk blocks are uneven, and when I went slowly over them, I pitched forward and back. Finally, it pitched me off and I came crashing down to the concrete - my first fall.
I've lost confidence in it; I feel the wheels are just too small.
Amazon has agreed to take it back and refund all my money. They've even given me a label and will pay for shipping. (Yay Amazon!).
I haven't given up, though.
I now plan to get a scooter with larger wheels. I assume that larger wheels mean more stability, but also more weight (I have to lift this out of my trunk and lug it up a half-flight of stairs in my house).
I'm considering:
-An Airwheel S3,
-An Airwheel S5, or
-A used full-size Segway.
It would be very grateful for your opinion or any experience you would share with any of these.
Thanks in advance.
-MacJeepster
MacJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I know nothing about the replacements you're considering but have a thought about your being thrown off. You weren't going fast enough to power over the unevenness. It's kind of like going over railroad tracks in your car, you go slow and you get bounced around, you go fast and you don't get bounced around.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I know nothing about the replacements you're considering but have a thought about your being thrown off. You weren't going fast enough to power over the unevenness. It's kind of like going over railroad tracks in your car, you go slow and you get bounced around, you go fast and you don't get bounced around.
True - but also, if you are going fast and get pitched off, the personal consequences may be more severe.

Airwheels would seem to require more skill at balancing.

Consider a used Segway X2 (or XT). Those are designed for rougher terrain.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Kudos to Amazon for helping you out! Easy to see why they are the nations biggest on-line retailer and why they have to many happy customers

I think any of your proposed replacements will serve you much better than the Mini. True they are all heavier and bulkier than the Mini, but I know of two other people who have been down the same road and after getting off a Mini were very happy with a full sized Seg

There is a local tour group here using Airwheels (S3's I think) and while I haven't ridden one yet, they appear to be about a 7 out of 10 - Assuming a full sized Seg is a 10 and a Mini is a 1

Report back to let us know what you bought and how you like it

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Bernie
Bernie is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Three things I would look into when considering between an Airwheel or a full size Segway:

1. Weight - as you say you have to lug it up a half flight of stairs.
2. Cost of replacement batteries.
3. Safety and durability.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Three things I would look into when considering between an Airwheel or a full size Segway:

1. Weight - as you say you have to lug it up a half flight of stairs.
2. Cost of replacement batteries.
3. Safety and durability.
With the "full size Segway", the battery power can be used to help move it up stairs. Of course, not riding it.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

How about the joystick for the minipro as an option, that would provide more stability.
A full size i2 will weigh 105 pounds, a lug for a stairway.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #8
MacJeepster
MacJeepster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
You're right. If I were going faster, I'm sure I would've gotten through fine. The problem is, if I'm going to use it around people (concerts, museums, festivals), I won't be able to go fast.
MacJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJeepster View Post
You're right. If I were going faster, I'm sure I would've gotten through fine. The problem is, if I'm going to use it around people (concerts, museums, festivals), I won't be able to go fast.
Do you have a Segway tour place close by?....You will love an i2 or a x2 in public, you will have 100% control at all times....Big tires(tall) help with bumps, cracks, and objects in your way.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:26 PM   #10
segrick-ATL
segrick-ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Before giving up you should think about the adjustable handlebar for the mini pro. More4mini has them. I have an i2 for work for the last 5 years and a mini pro I keep in the car for travel and local trips to stores etc. MUCH lighter than i2 so no scooter lift required. I have MS so its my legs. The quick-disconnect handle has been a godsend! Knee steer wasn't going to work with leg brace and less-than-stellar balance. The handle is much easier AND gives you something to do with your hands!
Just a suggestion from someone with a real Segway and a wannabe...

Tags
airwheel s3, airwheel s5, used segway