SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I'm sorry that you are leaving Hellphish, I hope that you will continue to glide and continue to be active in the segway community.

peace,
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Three major contributors leave the forum in the last week...
How often does THAT happen?

From my observation, people come and leave all the time.

What makes this a bit different, is that people have announced their departure, instead of leaving.

If a person does not find it of value to come to this site, then they would naturally stop comming here. I have many sites that I used to go to, that for some reason, my attention changes, and I do not go there anymore...

However, when a person does not leave, but instead starts waving flags and announcing their departure, then that is not about leaving, but about them making a statement.

Each of us will have to decide how to interpret that statement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
nora k
nora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Three major contributors leave the forum in the last week...
How often does THAT happen?

pete, i give you my word i am not trying to be offensive. i have tried to write this three ways without being snarky or sardonic. this might be the best i can come up with.

it probably happens more often than we know because new users are seldom welcomed into the fold and leave before they can have a major impact.

so three people with high post count announce their departure and it's a big deal, but there are people with lower post count whose posts have been content driven who have also gone with nary a whisper in their direction. writing before you leave and then continuing to login after you leave isn't leaving - it just isn't posting.

Last edited by nora k; 03-20-2008 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: mark the day karl and i post almost simultaneously and have related sentiments!!!
nora k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

All the time. Most just don't bother with a "good bye" post (in fact, such posts are *not* the norm at SC, but once you see one member do it, others see that it's okay to do it too).

Members come and go all the time. Members who've said "good bye" to us years ago find their way back here, because this is the only large enough online community of Segway enthusiasts and owners to have actual interesting conversations. (In fact, more than one recent member who've said "good bye" recently still logs in and reads every day, so they really haven't "left" after all!)

John
Old 03-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
BillK
BillK will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You know (after reading Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn) I think it would be good to attend your own funeral. You get to see what effect you had on people, and what they said about you after you've gone.

To some extent here if you say "good-bye" and then lurk you can see what people said about you, what they thought about you and if you really were missed or if people sniped at you when they thought you "left".

naw.... I'm staying - at least for a while.
Bill
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #16
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
You know (after reading Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn) I think it would be good to attend your own funeral. You get to see what effect you had on people, and what they said about you after you've gone.

To some extent here if you say "good-bye" and then lurk you can see what people said about you, what they thought about you and if you really were missed or if people sniped at you when they thought you "left".

naw.... I'm staying - at least for a while.
Bill

This is an interesting thought. It is nice to announce that "I am leaving" and then hang around to see what people say... Hoping, I guess for pleas to reconsider...

What would happen instead if after a person announced that, we all just threw clumps of dirt at them, as is not uncommon at a funeral...

This whole line of reasoning reminds me of the stories of people who have escape tunnels attached to their coffins, or bells on the inside, incase they were just kidding and were taken seriously...

For me, if I am mad at someone, I tell them. I may hammer dead issues till I am ignored, or may sometimes actually make a difference. Either way, I do not deny my attendance at a place that I feel strongly about, nor deny others the pleasure of my presence. That would be uncivil of me, and a burden too high for others to be able to tollerate.

In my humble opinion, the pain of my attendance is less than the pain of my absence on this site...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I think it would be fair to say that would depend greatly on who you asked...

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

In my humble opinion, the pain of my attendance is less than the pain of my absence on this site...
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #18
nora k
nora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
For me, if I am mad at someone, I tell them. I may hammer dead issues till I am ignored, or may sometimes actually make a difference. Either way, I do not deny my attendance at a place that I feel strongly about, nor deny others the pleasure of my presence. That would be uncivil of me, and a burden too high for others to be able to tollerate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
I think it would be fair to say that would depend greatly on who you asked...

SEGsby
the bolded line is the one that made me all out smile.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nora k View Post
the bolded line is the one that made me all out smile.
I wondered if anyone noticed that, along with the word "humble" further down! Karl's a hoot, I can't wait till SF

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #20
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

OK. One more post to set the record straight...

Speaking for myself, I don't post but still occassionally lurk simply because posting takes too much time. I like reading opinions and Segway news, but I no longer have the time to stop and have conversations. I also lurk CNN and ESPN SPORTS. They also have forums I don't post in. There are only so many hours in the day.

There are a lot of great posters I've met here at SC, and a lot of great info I've gotten from this site. For that. I say thank you.

And to be sure, the Tom Sawyer, coming to your own funeral analogy was funny, but not the case. I'm still alive, but I have to limit the sites I post in if I want to have a life, lol.

And Karl, I not waving a flag, I'm just saying bye after 940 posts. You have to admit that after 5000 posts it would be weird if you just disappeared one day like a lookie-loo who just got here last week. If you decided to leave, I'm sure you would also say bye.

And to all you So Cal gliders, if you haven't met me and see an orange and blue i167/170/180 hybrid tooling down the boardwalk, glide up and say hi.

The boardwalk is my freeway.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote