SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Dave Bittner
Dave Bittner is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New Battery Technology from Stanford

http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...re-010908.html

Interesting news on a battery technology that could yield much higher battery capacity than current systems. The inventors are claiming up to 10x the capacity of current lithium ion batteries by combining already mature technologies, and hoping to get to market quickly.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Interesting. Wonder how sensitive to vibration silicon nanowires are...

SEGsby
Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
ryanj0
ryanj0 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

This certainly looks like it could revolutionize everything electrical!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

The biggest problem that I envision would be the possibility of an electrical discharge causing a fire. This, potentially, could mean no travel with the new batteries.

I would need to do some more research into this but the potential is obviously there or they wouldn't be starting a company.

Steven+
Old 12-20-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

I spotted this today too. Dave beat me to posting it...rep points for you!

I share alot of the concerns mentioned above, but I think one of the biggest hurdles is going to be scalability. Sure, you can grow/throw together some silicon nanowires, but what happens when you try to grow/construct a cubic inch of the stuff?

ps - If they're worried about migrating Li ions pulverizing the silicon, you'd think vibrations are going to be an issue too.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default "New"

Remember, there is little new under the sun.

The other maker of Lithium Iron Phosphate cells (besides Valance) is A123 systems. Their trademarked technology is called "Nanophosphate" Tada!

They use nanotechnology (a different one) to acheive their results. Smaller molecules gives more surface area so yada, yada, yada. Their technology is from MIT.

So while interesting and different this "new" cell seems more of a variation on a current technology than comlpetely new. Who knows? I am all for them, however. We (the World) needs all the advances we can get. I want to drive my Segway all week then recharge it while I go to the restroom and then glide off again.

Marty

PS anybody have bad Lithiums? Since we can't get info on our cells from Inc. or any other way we need old ones to work on. We will pay to ship 'em. Help.

Parts is Parts.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
SEGsby

5 yr Member

I have a bad battery I've replaced. But lets see what the Dealer wants to do with it, first. No one will be at LLC to make decisions until after the holidays.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarty View Post
PS anybody have bad Lithiums? Since we can't get info on our cells from Inc. or any other way we need old ones to work on. We will pay to ship 'em. Help.

Parts is Parts.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default Battteries

Segsby,

Thanks for getting a hold of me. As I said I will probably be up Wednesday. I just wanted to acknowledge your contact here to thank you in public for helping out. And it will be good to not glide with you this weekend.

Lets Ride
Marty
Old 01-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Marty,
Aren't you treading on David's (don't know his screen name here) toes by doing an autopsy? Seriously, we await your analysis. Good luck to us all.

Thanks, Segsby. You deserve 850 rep points for contributing the battery. Sorry that means INC must have told you to take a hike.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarty View Post
Segsby,

Thanks for getting a hold of me. As I said I will probably be up Wednesday. I just wanted to acknowledge your contact here to thank you in public for helping out. And it will be good to not glide with you this weekend.

Lets Ride
Marty
Old 01-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
SEGsby

5 yr Member
Default Batteries and Buffalo Burgers

Bentbiker: You would be guessing correctly.

As you know, the good news is that the second replacement appears to be working quite well. The first one threw red lights after finishing the deep charge cycle and was promptly returned. Red lights bad! The seemingly high failure rate for Segway Batteries is disconcerting, at best...

Dr Marty: You can call me on my cell and stop by the Studio at any time. If you drop by at 12 on Wednesday, we could do lunch at the Famous Firehouse Cafe, not far from Gold's Gym. My treat.

SEGsby