SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 AM   #1
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default DEKA Goes Swimming

From Aviation Week:

Swim Like A Dolphin

DARPA has taken the wraps of one of its most simple and yet revolutionary technologies at DARPATech in Anaheim. Power Swim is a human-powered machine comprising a pair of wide. pivoted foils strapped to the user's calves - and, says DARPA, it literally halves the energy required to swim, making it possible for a swimmer to sustain speeds of 2-2.5 knots - twice what is sustainable today. Power Swim prototypes are being tested by Navy SEAL teams.
Program manager Barbara McQuiston tells Ares that Power Swim emerged from a study of strong swimmers in the animal world, notably penguins and dolphins. As anyone who was a tuna or a shrimp in their past life can tell you, penguins and dolphins are depressingly fast, and moreover burn remarkably little energy.
What DARPA researchers found was that strong swimmers propelled themselves by generating vortices rather than brute-force fin-flapping. The wide foils on Power Swim do the same thing. They are claimed to be seven times more efficient than fins.

Other sources report some customer resistance to the device. "They're used to working hard, and if it doesn't hurt they don't think they're doing the job - but then we say, 'when have you ever swum above two knots?'." Another defense source observes: "SEALs are like Catholic school - if it doesn't hurt it's not good for you."
Power Swim is being readied for production by Deka, the company responsible for the Segway. So far, the military is the first target, with rescue swimmers as well as special operators in mind. However, there's little doubt that the commercial market will be large.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It looks like a device that is for people who are too lazy to kick. I predict it will make all these swimmers fat. LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member
Default Oh, MANNNN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
It looks like a device that is for people who are too lazy to kick. I predict it will make all these swimmers fat. LOL
Karl, I'll thank you to come down to my office and clean up my desk -- after I just sprayed a mouthful of soda over it all. Hilarious!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default movies?

Are there any clips showing this new device in action? Did anyone notice the similarity between this device and a plane?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

It looks like those foils are very similar in looks and function of those human powered skips that you stand on and bounce and it lifts you somewhat out of the water and skims the surface. I don't remember what they are called, but they have been mentioned here on SC recently and I even seen a You Tube video of a girl riding one. I imagine it works the same way as those. I never really got the hang of those regular flipper things anyway. I love to swim but am not supposed to because of my bad ears. I can't seem to find anything to keep them dry when I swim. I have custom ear plugs but they do not keep the water out. Back to note tho, I wonder if anyone has tried fins on their body like a dolphins, etc. Or the long side fins like on an eel and see how well it works. Just a thought.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Many years ago, there was a hokey tv show about a man from atlantis, I think. I believe the actor was Patrick Duffy. (JR's Brother in Dallas)

There were some scenes where he swam, and his technique was to keep both feet together, and use his arms by his side, and use his whole body, like an eel or how you would imagine a mermaid must swim...

I tried it and found that if swimming under water, it really does work. I got to be fairly proficient at it... (that style does not work well on the surface)

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Many years ago, there was a hokey tv show about a man from atlantis, I think. I believe the actor was Patrick Duffy. (JR's Brother in Dallas)

There were some scenes where he swam, and his technique was to keep both feet together, and use his arms by his side, and use his whole body, like an eel or how you would imagine a mermaid must swim...

I tried it and found that if swimming under water, it really does work. I got to be fairly proficient at it... (that style does not work well on the surface)
that was my favorite show in the 70's (I love youtube)- I tried to swim that way when I was a kid

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 08-11-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
Are there any clips showing this new device in action? Did anyone notice the similarity between this device and a plane?
Well, the "fins" are airfoil shaped, which makes perfect sense since it really doesn't matter if it's air or water, it's all about the circulation of the medium around the surfaces.

Actually, this is much more in line with the way a dolphin swims than any sort of aircraft though since very few aircraft have flexible bodies and the angle of incidence (angle of wing to fuselage) is usually fixed.

Ever really take a close look at a dophin tail?

Last edited by quade; 08-11-2007 at 01:48 AM..
Old 10-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

More from Popular Mechanics.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

Old 10-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
flatbottom
flatbottom is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I wonder

if they're a menace to pedestrians or maybe that was wind-turbines...nevermind.

YHS