SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Tesla Roadster blog

There are a few YouTube videos to LISTEN to in the "Feel" tab of this blog.

I remember having an emotional reaction to the Mazda Miata when I first saw one in 1990. I had a similar reaction when I saw and HEARD the Tesla.

I want one!!!

http://www.teslamotors.com/blogs.php

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 02-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You gotta love the Tesla, It's pretty, fast, green, and manufactured by Lotus, you gotta love it.
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

I've had numerous talks with Tesla for more than 18 months. While it is a great looking car with great technology behind it, I'd wait before I'd put any money down. Sure, they have pre-sold at least 200 (it may be 300 by now) and sure, they have grand plans. BUT, nothing produced / delivered, major internal corporate problems (much of the staff fired / laid off), and problems with both the transmission and other components.

Steven
Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Now Stephen,

Aren't we straying a bit from the spirit of your Mark Twain quote? You should know very well that technical and staffing problems come with the country. ;-)

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I too love the Tesla, and made some tentative enquiries some time ago, but I heard they refused to sell any overseas, stating they can sell the whole production run in the US, is that correct?

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
I too love the Tesla, and made some tentative enquiries some time ago, but I heard they refused to sell any overseas, stating they can sell the whole production run in the US, is that correct?
That is 100% correct but also missing some parts.

Our discussions with Tesla centered on opening up a regional dealership, including a full service center in at least Dubai.

Their original interest was lukewarm at best and they used the "we will sell everything in the US" line (which is true, btw).

I'm persistent so we continued to pursue and in the end the reasoning was that they couldn't support an international service center during the first few years of production. Concern was centered around the amount of labor that was going to be needed to a) provide upkeep and b) upgrade the cars as improvements came out.

Case in point: The transmission that will ship with the initial cars (those promised as of early this year) will need to be replaced later this year. It will be done at no charge by Tesla.

Their points were valid albeit not pleasing to hear as we had in the vicinity of 70 buyers lined ...and all had to pay 100% up front.

Steven
Old 02-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayDan View Post
Now Stephen,

Aren't we straying a bit from the spirit of your Mark Twain quote? You should know very well that technical and staffing problems come with the country. ;-)
Yes, I believe in optimism and expanding your reach in order to conquer the world...but wholesale layoffs and firings always worry me. The number of staffers laid off was in the 40s.

Steven
Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
SegwayDan
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Too bad Paul Harvey isn't on the job so we could get "the rest of the story."

Quote from today's Tesla email newsletter I received:

"The most exciting news is that we will begin series production of the Tesla Roadster on March 17th."

Sounds like good news to me!

Those 40 layed off mustn't have been all that essential. They were at least replaceable.

I just love the SOUND of that little guy, like it's a lil' cousin of the Kilocycle! It let's the sound of squealing rubber come out so much better! Kachow!!

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
Old 02-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #9
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I was unaware of thier production problems. Good to know.
-segsurfer

Old 02-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Desert_Seg

5 yr Member

Quote:
... "The most exciting news is that we will begin series production of the Tesla Roadster on March 17th."

Sounds like good news to me!...
Yes, production is due to start in March (and looks like it is). At least 9 months late but still, they are scheduled to deliver cars 1 and 2 in March

Quote:
... Those 40 layed off mustn't have been all that essential. They were at least replaceable.
A lot of senior folks including the Director of Marketing, Director of Services (the guy responsible for setting up their 6 dealerships).

Again, not sure why (maybe because of their loyalty to the previous CEO who was canned in Nov, who knows) but when it happens there is almost always cause for concern.

Quote:
... I just love the SOUND of that little guy, like it's a lil' cousin of the Kilocycle! It let's the sound of squealing rubber come out so much better! Kachow!!
It is an awesome sounding car. And I think in person it will be "all that". However, I hope it isn't another DeLorean.

Steven