SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member
Default Atoms Not Bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarty View Post
Remember, there is little new under the sun.

The other maker of Lithium Iron Phosphate cells (besides Valance) is A123 systems. Their trademarked technology is called "Nanophosphate" Tada!

They use nanotechnology (a different one) to acheive their results. Smaller molecules gives more surface area so yada, yada, yada. Their technology is from MIT.

So while interesting and different this "new" cell seems more of a variation on a current technology than comlpetely new. Who knows? I am all for them, however. We (the World) needs all the advances we can get. I want to drive my Segway all week then recharge it while I go to the restroom and then glide off again.

Marty
There is a lot of interesting and exciting stuff going on with batteries... lots "new under the sun's" infinite energy (yeah, well "infinite" at least as far as us Earthlings are concerned... for all our practical purposes).

It's amazing how far batteries have come in the last 15 years. Hot news includes everything from fast charge nano tech lithium ion (e.g. Alti), rumored civilization changing Hyper-Caps (e.g. EEStor - remember John Doerr's "atoms not bits"? - yeah I know, we may see the sun run out first before this horse comes in) and nascent development efforts that have far to go to prove commercial viability (e.g. this Stanford announcement, and a host of other efforts).

I'm sure we've discussed this before, but one thing that's clear to me: the storage and distribution problems of hydrogen leave that technology far over rated... More efficient and renewable (green source) electricity to the grid... then download to better batteries sure look like a superior candidate to me vs. H. I'm not just talking hybids, but 100% EV.

Keep watching.

P.S. btw for you noobies (about 99.99% of you in my book), the "Atoms not bits" quote by Kleiner Perkin's VC honcho John Doerr and was the subject of a good deal of discussion (what does it mean?) back in theITquestion (does this site still censor that phrase? - i'll disguise ... the. i t . question dot com ). And I think it may have evev been been in Kemper's Ginger book... but I don't remember clearly.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroGo View Post
I'm sure we've discussed this before, but one thing that's clear to me: the storage and distribution problems of hydrogen leave that technology far over rated... More efficient and renewable (green source) electricity to the grid... then download to better batteries sure look like a superior candidate to me vs. H. I'm not just talking hybids, but 100% EV.
I think the only place for hydrogen is in a scram jet! OK, maybe a rocket too, but after seeing what powers the sub-orbital vehicles, I'm starting to rethink this.

ps - What do you think of hydrogen used in a fuel cell?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Segsby,

OK, I am shooting for Noon tomorrow. I'll be the guy without handlebars.

Lets Ride
Marty
Old 01-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #14
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Awesome. Did you want me to bring the spare LSF and grips to work with me, too?

ttyl,
SEGsby

Quote:
Segsby,

Lets Ride
Marty
Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
I think the only place for hydrogen is in a scram jet! OK, maybe a rocket too, but after seeing what powers the sub-orbital vehicles, I'm starting to rethink this.

ps - What do you think of hydrogen used in a fuel cell?
I'm not familiar with your reference to sub-orbital vehicles... what are you saying?

But anyway, there are many types of fuel cells. I have not heard of one that looks commercially feasible yet, while cleaner energy (compared to burning internal combustion engines) to grid to EV battery is looking realistic soon (granted still production and cost issues - but much closer to commercialization than fuel cells AS FAR AS I KNOW ... and I don't particularly follow them) Otherwise, I'm all for any technology breakthoughs for cleaner, cheaper, safe and convenient energy, whatever it is.... but who isn't.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #16
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroGo View Post
I'm not familiar with your reference to sub-orbital vehicles... what are you saying?

But anyway, there are many types of fuel cells. I have not heard of one that looks commercially feasible yet, while cleaner energy (compared to burning internal combustion engines) to grid to EV battery is looking realistic soon (granted still production and cost issues - but much closer to commercialization than fuel cells AS FAR AS I KNOW ... and I don't particularly follow them) Otherwise, I'm all for any technology breakthoughs for cleaner, cheaper, safe and convenient energy, whatever it is.... but who isn't.
Ah...I should have been clear. Space Ship One by Scaled Composites used a rubber and laughing gas fuel system. The big win about this is that none of the components are toxic (unlike most rocket fuels)! So maybe hydrogen won't even be appropriate for rockets someday...oh, but to be clear, hydrogen isn't toxic. Just explosive in an atmosphere with oxygen.

ps - I guess laughing gas is probably explosive too, but I don't know how that compares to hydrogen.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:24 AM   #17
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Exclamation KNEESTEER (TM), the way of the Future...

Now that comment makes sense. The KneeSteer (tm) is FRICKIN' A M A Z I N G !

I was shocked how firm and stable it felt. Not a single transient wiggle, or minor body shake translated down to the platform at all, while standing on it. I felt perfectly in control. But I was a tad timid about going full speed using it, unlike you. Using it on the big loading ramp was quite a unique experience.

Thanks so much for letting me test ride the LSF mod! The closest thing I can think to describe it in words. It's like... wearing form-fitting robot shoes. Was really odd not holding anything in my hands. The sense of open freedom of motion was quite different than the normal Segway configuration allows. I think handleless operation is the future. And as much as I loath to even mention it-- I think it has a HUGE potential for Segway Polo.

Thanks for the visit and chat over lunch! Always great to see other gliders. I eagerly look forward to seeing your other Segway experiments as they develop.

Best of success with Herbie's old parts...
SEGsby

Quote:
Segsby,

Lets Ride
Marty