SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #1
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member
Default Promise of PHEVs

Here's a an article that reports on a recent symposium on Plug-in-Hybrid-Electric-Vehicles (PHEVs).
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/oct07/5630
Kind if interesting if you have a hybrid or are interested in electric cars.

Includes an amusing quote attributed to Henry Ford concerning customer expectations:

Quote:
"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse."
With all the Ford - Model T - Segway comparisons over the years, I'm surprised that one hadn't come up. Maybe it did and I missed it.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
guyler
guyler is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Henry Ford

You missed it.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Cube128
Cube128 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Wow, the promise of an all-electric machine with enough charge to take most people through their daily routine without burning fossil fuels, sounds familiar. I wonder why what is lauded and generates excitment in an automobile elicits only contempt and ridicule when used in an application like the Segway?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube128 View Post
Wow, the promise of an all-electric machine with enough charge to take most people through their daily routine without burning fossil fuels, sounds familiar. I wonder why what is lauded and generates excitement in an automobile elicits only contempt and ridicule when used in an application like the Segway?
Well, there's a little more to it than that...

The symposium wasn't just about the transportation aspect. You may have noticed that having a 5-10 kw battery in everyone's vehicle allows a new way of managing brownouts across a regional power grid.

By dual use of the EV battery, not only are fossil fuels burned more efficiently at power stations instead of in cars, there can be more efficient use of solar & wind power, plus fewer powerplants can power more things because of the "buffer" in all the EVs exchanging power on the grid.

And power utilities would take on part of the burden of the cost of the battery in the EV, so regular consumers can avoid the high price of high capacity batteries. And there would be a "second tier" for vehicular storage batteries to go to before hitting the recycler.

Don't know how practical it all is right now, or how long it will take to be practical, but I found it interesting.