SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
Thanks for the link. By "Nope", I suppose you mean the S5.b.8. - windshield, and S5.b.10. - seatbelt requirements. It looks like the rest (lights, signals, reflectors, mirrors, parking brake) could be tacked on. Perhaps S5.b.8 could be circumvented by wearing a helmet that includes a faceshield. Not sure why S5.b.10 is apt for a vehicle with a saddle type seat. Motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles and equestrians do not face this restriction.
The original question was: Would the clone qualify as an NEV, i.e. a low speed vehicle? After looking at the DOT standards, I'd guess the answer is no.
If you are now asking if motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles and equestrians would qualify as low speed vehicles the answers are no, no, no and no. But they don't have to, because they are motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles and equestrians, not NEVs. And there is no need to shoehorn them into transportation standards where they don't belong.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
The original question was: Would the clone qualify as an NEV, i.e. a low speed vehicle? After looking at the DOT standards, I'd guess the answer is no.
If you are now asking if motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles and equestrians would qualify as low speed vehicles the answers are no, no, no and no. But they don't have to, because they are motorcycles, mopeds, bicycles and equestrians, not NEVs. And there is no need to shoehorn them into transportation standards where they don't belong.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to shoehorn anything.

I suppose I was trying to see the situation as a half full glass rather than a half empty one. By that I mean I was looking at how little additional effort it would take to make the clone NEV approvable, not how badly it missed the mark.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #13
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The "geek-savant" speaks sooth!

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628
Old 10-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #14
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I wonder what the real benefit of the balancing capabilities are for the Centaur? I mean, it's cool and I'd love to try one (actually touched one @ Disney but apparently the guts were removed so couldn't ride it - or easily steel it ), but why make it self balance?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I wonder what the real benefit of the balancing capabilities are for the Centaur? I mean, it's cool and I'd love to try one (actually touched one @ Disney but apparently the guts were removed so couldn't ride it - or easily steal it ), but why make it self balance?
Didn't you see the 4-5 meter turning radius in the clone video? One reason you might want it to get up on two wheels is so you can turn in your own width. From the performance demonstrated in the short video, the clone might even have a single motor and rear axle. A single axle doesn't keep it from balancing on two wheels, but it does eliminate the chance of a so called "zero radius" turn.

Another reason why the Centaur is what it is, is that you (that is, "you" being Segway, Inc.) have all these batteries, controller boards, gearboxes, wheels and chassis that you either have in inventory or that you are contracted to buy, and need to put them to use.

I think the Centaur was a byproduct of the engineering managers at Segway, Inc. setting a challenge to see the most interesting device that can be made from the basic PT components. The concept was an exercise in "thinking outside the box" to work out ways of repurposing existing design elements, a talent germane to the upcoming (at that time) i2 design.

And I think the i2 was a byproduct of the engineering managers setting a challenge to see the most marketable device that can be made from the basic PT components - or at least as marketable as the gen1. With the Centaur design "under their belts", the engineers' re-use of gen1 components on the gen2 was less unfamiliar to deal with. The Centaur design / development may have been a "practice run" that just happens to be a marginally marketable concept as well.

A similar situation is the recent Opel partnership, which gave the engineers a chance to simulate what it would be like if a major company licensed the PT design. Their successful development of the compacted i2 prototype shows they are ready to adapt to most any design consideration.

You can't keep the engineering staff in a box, waiting for marketing opportunities to come up. You have to keep them exercised so that they are ready to perform when the situation calls for it.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 PM   #16
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
I think the Centaur was a byproduct of the engineering managers at Segway, Inc. setting a challenge to see the most interesting device that can be made from the basic PT components. The concept was an exercise in "thinking outside the box" to work out ways of repurposing existing design elements, a talent germane to the upcoming (at that time) i2 design.

And I think the i2 was a byproduct of the engineering managers setting a challenge to see the most marketable device that can be made from the basic PT components - or at least as marketable as the gen1. With the Centaur design "under their belts", the engineers' re-use of gen1 components on the gen2 was less unfamiliar to deal with. The Centaur design / development may have been a "practice run" that just happens to be a marginally marketable concept as well.
One of the most salient and cogent observations I have read on this site ever!

Thanks for your thoughts.

-Sal
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #17
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Thumbs up The Sage

Quote:
...You can't keep the engineering staff in a box, waiting for marketing opportunities to come up. You have to keep them exercised so that they are ready to perform when the situation calls for it.
Dang, I who dole out rep points as if I were handing out my own money had the urge to once again click on the scales.

Unfortunately vBulletin won't allow me the pleasure so I now must do so in this more public manner.

Another great post, you are becoming the Sage of Segway

Steven
Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 AM   #18
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Dang, I who dole out rep points as if I were handing out my own money had the urge to once again click on the scales.

Unfortunately vBulletin won't allow me the pleasure so I now must do so in this more public manner.

Another great post, you are becoming the Sage of Segway

Steven
Frankly, I think it's only a matter of time before Segway INC makes bystander an offer. You heard it here first. Now getting him to move out to NH...well, that might take "an offer you can't refuse"! 8^) 8^) 8^)

ps - HA the rep system FINALLY allowed me to give positive rep to bystander again! It's been a long long time since I've successfully done this. And it wasn't for lack of trying...I'd say I averaged once a week.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:38 AM   #19
bystander

5 yr Member

Sal, Desert_Seg, polo, thanks for the kind words.

If Segway, Inc. ever comes up with a position for "forum bum", I'll be sure to send in my resume.

I can't be sure my observation is correct, but it would explain a few things. I suppose at best, the motivation / practice angle is a contributing factor, but not the only factor involved.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #20
sholloway
sholloway will become famous soon enoughsholloway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Why on Earth would they go so far to copy the Centaur down to the fact that it has No clearance under the rear "power base"? The real one has that limitation due to the design of the PT, it's one thing to "copy" someone, it's quite another to copy answers that were known to be wrong. I think the quickest "if I could change anything" point on the centaur would be rear end clearance. Way to go China "designers" (and I don't use that loosely, I use it jokingly), pay attention every now and then.