SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
falves
falves is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Talking How's this?

Steve,

Here's a "big kid" version for 'ya.

-Fernando
Old 10-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

If one is going to be completely black and white about things, then John is right, there's really nothing different about the motoboard and a Segway: two wheels, single rider, standing up, both require balance ...

But let's be realistic about this, no one in their right mind would say that the motoboard is anywhere as safe and pedestrian friendly as the Segway. Just like no one in their right mind would compare the agility and deftness of a helicopter to a fixed wind aircraft.

The intangibles / and fairly obvious tangibles are what set the Segway apart from the motoboard, and the bicycle for that matter.

John, are you just egging us on?

-Sal
Old 10-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Technology and transportation merged

I'm not going to ramble or turn this into a book but the scooter in question is a board with two wheels, motor, and battery and cheap. Other than that, what are it's redundant systems? Can you play polo wilth it? Does it qualify to ride on road or sidewalk in most states? Does it back up safley? Can you stand still on it or turn in place taking up little more space than your shoulders? Will it have any resale value? Will it be good enough for tour groups? Could it be a flash in the pan gimmic? Or is it just an inexpensive (comparitvely speaking) toy? How much research went into it. Is it handmade in this country and invented by a man with a laundry list of credentials? Maybe it is a good deal for those that can find a place to ride a $500 scooter that doesn't comply with most jurisdictions (where would that be?) and prefers polyester to the real deal
Sorry, just my image. Oh yea, does it have it's own chat room or have you just not found it yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
cruiter,

With a top speed, range and weight capacity comparable to a Segway at 1/10th the price, what part of "financial sense" are you having trouble with? Like the press release said,Pretty self-explainatory to me.

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
Old 10-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #14
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Tim,
Have you actually read your California law regarding motorized scooters?
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd11c1a5.htm
Please point out the section where it says they're illegal.
John, you're right. I should check the CA CVC for updates before I post in the future, lol.

Apparently, motorized scooters are legal on streets if there's a bikepath, and under certain conditions, with a licenced (or permit holding) driver.

With that in mind, Motorboards are certainly legal in CA, in certain situations.

Thanks for pointing out the CA CVC link, I will bookmark it. I stand corrected.

Tim
Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #15
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Using your link below....

Take a look at the following;

"Operation of Motorized Scooters: Prohibitions

21235. The operator of a motorized scooter shall not do any of the following:

(a) Operate a motorized scooter unless it is equipped with a brake that will enable the operator to make a braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

(b) Operate a motorized scooter on a highway with a speed limit in excess of 25 miles per hour unless the motorized scooter is operated within a class II bicycle lane.

(c) Operate a motorized scooter without wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards described in Section 21212.

(d) Operate a motorized scooter without a valid driver’s license or instruction permit.

(e) Operate a motorized scooter with any passengers in addition to the operator.

(f) Operate a motorized scooter carrying any package, bundle, or article that prevents the operator from keeping at least one hand upon the handlebars.

(g) Operate a motorized scooter upon a sidewalk, except as may be necessary to enter or leave adjacent property.

(h) Operate a motorized scooter on the highway with the handlebars raised so that the operator must elevate his or her hands above the level of his or her shoulders in order to grasp the normal steering grip area.

(i) Leave a motorized scooter lying on its side on any sidewalk, or park a motorized scooter on a sidewalk in any other position, so that there is not an adequate path for pedestrian traffic.

(j) Attach the motorized scooter or himself or herself while on the roadway, by any means, to any other vehicle on the roadway.

Added Sec. 5, Ch. 722, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.
Amended Sec. 8, Ch. 755, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005."

(D) requires a license or learners permit
(F) say's no package meaning no bags on steering coloumn or on sides

And I suspect there are quite a few other restrictions if I read everything. And we all know CA is very liberal. In GA and most other states, you wouldn't get away with many of the things you are allowed to do in CA.
Quote:
Tim,
Have you actually read your California law regarding motorized scooters?
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd11c1a5.htm
Please point out the section where it says they're illegal.

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
Old 10-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #16
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
John, are you just egging us on?
Who me?

Seriously, of course there are differences between a $500 scooter and a $5000 Segway. But I'm trying to keep an open mind here regarding all the alternatives to driving 6 blocks to the 7-11 for a loaf of bread in an SUV . What I'm hearing from some forum members boils down to 'Segway or No Way' and I'm just not buying into that attitutude. Egging you on? Maybe a bit. Just try listening to yourselves.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #17
sombody
sombody will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Cool Excellent Design

I OWNED 2 OF THESE BEFORE I GOT MY SEGWAY. I still have one in storage.
i WEIGHT 170LB -lb - I got a legitimate 10-12 miles per charge and it charges very quickly.

Excellent design- folds down to nothing- is only 22 lbs all battery
I used to travel with it all the time- Had to turn it on and ride it a couple times for airport TSA
Made by the same company that makes the Little Giant ladder- Its very good construction- The batteries and motor are very powerful

FORGET ALL THE SCOOTER LAWS - I rode mine for a year and a half on the bike trail and all over Huntington Beach never got a ticket- Why ?
Look at it- you cant see the motors or battery. I would give a kick now and then when I saw a cop- Never got cought-

I havent ridden it since I got my Seg- but it doesnt mean I wont buy another one in the future

Look this is why I got a Segway- simple small motor + strong batteries =fun

Come one everyone- you dont have to analyze everything into a coma
Look at the fun factor-
I know Im making most of you queezy- so Ill shut up now -Im not a heritic

Please dont stone me-

rick
Old 10-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this is why this thread is in Science and Technology - it's a perfect place for it. This unit is fine for what it is, and if people enjoy it, I say they should go for it.

Pam
Old 10-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #19
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombody
Please dont stone me-
Forget about doing an indepth analsys. We'll just have you play polo on it...8^) 8^) 8^)

ps - I kinda like this as a litmus test whenever someone brings up an alternative form of transportation...."Ah but can you play polo on it?"
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #20
sombody
sombody will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Ok-ok -ok

Mr Mo-
I am noticeing that all of your post - usually end up with the word POLO-
I am looking forward to meeting the POLOMIESTER-
My Seg is set up with Ketts and everthing- Im gonna have a polo HAT too-

But one more thought- Im wondering how much further the Seg would go with solid urethane wheels -

rick