SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:10 AM   #11
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Stan,

Had to kill BOINC this morning. It wouldn't release control of my PC and after 40 minutes of aggravation I just shut it down.

I'm sure it is because I Beta test lots of software and there might be some likely some conflicts. I'm still doing some testing to find out why this happened but for now I'm going quiet.

It sure was funny to see BOINC grab more and more memory and starve my other apps....just when I wanted to work!

Steven
Old 04-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I don't know what that could be, Steven. I have several BOINC clients running simultanously on more than a dozen computers, some with multiprocessors, and have not had a problem.

If you feel there is a problem with it on your computers, them please don't do anything that messes up your computer or even makes you worry. This is supposed to be a fun thing for your computer to do in it's spare time. If the project becomes any kind of a burden, then you should drop it.

There are soome options in the client setttings to have it stay in memory or not. Perhaps that will help.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:46 AM   #13
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Stan,

I'm a glutton for punishment. I love trying to figure this kind of stuff out :-)

BOINC wasn't grabbing a lot of memory but it appeared to keep grabbing and releasing about 2MB of memory, and it looked as if there were two versions of BOINC manager running.

However, after more research, the culprits appear to be Firefox and MSO 12 (I had Outlook, Office, and Excel all running).

Anyway, I was running again that evening and since then I've had no problems.

Steven
Old 04-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

Welcome to the newest member of the Segway Enthusiast Group BOINC Team: Ian from New Zealand.

For the latest Team Stats:
http://stats.kwsn.net/team.php?proj=all&teamid=54081
Old 05-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #15
yosgof
yosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

The team could benefit from more members. Please join.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Used to walk, now I glide

Segway - Go Green with a Grin!
Old 05-21-2006, 02:54 AM   #16
Stan671

We now have 6 participants on the Segway Enthusiasts Group BOINC Team:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEG BOINC 2006-05-21.jpg (25.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
culs
culs is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default joined Rosetta

I joined the Rosetta group and am glad to put my computers to work for a good cause.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #18
Stan671

Default We got 8 members now

Our little Segway Enthusiast Group of BOINC workers has grown to include 8 members with computers doing work for the following @Home projects: SETI, Einstein, Rosetta, Predictor, and LHC.

For Team stats:
http://stats.kwsn.net/team.php?proj=all&teamid=54081

For a graph of our daily production:
http://stats.kwsn.net/graphs/team_hi...54081&pmode=dp

For a graph of our Recent Average Credits:
http://stats.kwsn.net/graphs/team_hi...=54081&pmode=r

Everyone is invited to particicpate in any of the 5 @Home distributed computer projects we are doing right now. Just join the team called "Segway Enthusiast Group BOINC". Or jump ship from the team you currently work for and join us. And if you are working some other project, just let me know and I can expand our team to include your favorite project.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #19
Tanner
Tanner is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I've joined the SETI@Home team, but it appears I must get some points to show up. :E

-Tanner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

Two things... I think this really belongs in Science and Technology, since it's not REALLY about the HT.

and the other - well, heck! Since my ebay account got hacked and someone tried to use my paypal account to make over 6k worth of payments to a dude in Indonesia, I've stopped leaving my computer on and hooked up to the internet all day. It's really showing in my time. <sigh>

Pam