SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #11
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Interesting electriped.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:30 PM   #12
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

They are real and the prototypes at the Tokyo Motor Show did in fact work. I just searched for video on them and came across this link. Its almost an 8 meg mpeg video, so it takes awhile to download. I had problems trying to view it on the flyfrom the site. Probably not enough ram I guess. But once it downloaded it played fine. They do look cool and look like they would be fun to operate. Although they have no plans to produce, just like the (cough)Centaur. Oh its french, so scroll down to the pic of the I-swing and right below it says VIDE O. Click on the green play arrow or right click to save to your computer.
Here's the link.
http://www.leblogauto.com/toyota

One of the cool parts is it tilts back to enable the third front wheel (for faster speeds) to come out. It has reverse and when you want out the glowing orb lite in the front splits open down the middle and you just step out. A bit larger than the Segway, especially on all threes but still cool I.M.O.

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"
Old 10-26-2005, 12:33 AM   #13
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

If you watch the video, it operates like an iBot, or the Segway RMP. You drive it--it doesn't move by shifting your body weight. And when it gets down on "all three," it looks very much like the iBot in how it moves to that position.

By the way, the interesting thing about the video is how careful the driver was when up on two wheels--and how carefree he was when down on all three. I wonder how well the "balance mode" function works on that device. My guess is that it's very prototype-ish, and that the driver has to be "real" careful, or that the speed has been slowed way down, to show it off.

Anyway, this obviously further validates the importance of self-balancing technology. Segway invented something that big companies think is important, for sure.

Chris
Old 10-26-2005, 01:42 AM   #14
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Also note in the video that it had to open up for the operator to disembark. If your HT tips over you have some kind of chance to hop off w/o going completely down. Even in the infamous photos of president Bush "falling", you can see he did not fall to the ground, rather, he was able to stay on his legs.

If the I-swing tips over, there doesn't seem any alternative but to go down with it. Maybe the "soft exterior", touted as being more pedestrian friendly, is also there for protecting the occupant in a spill.

The I-swing 2 wheel balance mode speed seem to me to be about 1/4 black key speed.

Switching from 2 wheels to 3 looked slightly out of control. (just a little). I wonder how it looks going from 3 back to 2 wheels. I'm not sure whether it was meant to switch back and forth between the modes very often.

Overall, it appears it's meant for 3 wheel mode most of the time.

Perhaps I shouldn't read too much into the video, after all, the tweel release video with the Centaur and HT on stage didn't really show their full speed/maneuverability of the vehicles due to the confined space.

If the I-swing could do 20 or 30 mph, it seems it would have to "lean" (to the side) more than it does in the video. Or else it would have to extend the front wheel further ahead to maintain stability, making the driver more prone.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:50 AM   #15
Neelix
Neelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

So, I can't watch the video for some reason (crashes Firefox :-/)

This thing does balance, or no?

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight
Old 10-26-2005, 02:13 AM   #16
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

Neelix: Yes, it balances. But like an iBot or RMP, not like an HT. You drive it.

bystander: That's what the seatbelt and airbags are for--when it tips over or crashes I hope it has them!

Chris
Old 10-26-2005, 02:23 AM   #17
Neelix
Neelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of lightNeelix is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Oh, its like an iBot?

So its a wheelchair?

Edit:

I guess I'm not really clear as to what this thing is designed to do. Is it a car for one that can go on 2 wheels for maneuverability in parking? Is it a wheelchair? Is it a Segway that can go faster sometimes? Is it a recumbant bike that can balance on two wheels for certain situations?

I'm not really understanding.
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight
Old 10-26-2005, 04:03 AM   #18
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member

I'm not sure what it is either I think it's supposed to be on 2 wheels for tight spaces, and 3 wheels everywhere else.

I meant that it _moves_ like an iBot or an RMP. You "drive" it. If you drive forward, it tips forward, and then moves underneath itself. You don't shift your weight--it does.

Chris
Old 10-26-2005, 04:31 AM   #19
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Neelix

Oh, its like an iBot?

So its a wheelchair?

Edit:

I guess I'm not really clear as to what this thing is designed to do. Is it a car for one that can go on 2 wheels for maneuverability in parking? Is it a wheelchair? Is it a Segway that can go faster sometimes? Is it a recumbant bike that can balance on two wheels for certain situations?

I'm not really understanding.
Chris Knight
Here's the direct link:

http://www.leblogauto.com/files/iswing_demo.mpeg

If you browser crashes or hangs, try saving it to your computer first, then playing it in the appropriate media player.

What is it?

It's closer to a wheeled iron maiden than a wheelchair, ibot, or motorcycle.

It's a semi-enclosed electric tricycle that can rear up on it's rear 2 wheels and balance that way, moving at a very low rate of speed. (less than black key as seen on the video)

For Black to Yellow key speeds, it uses 3 wheels, partially retracting the rear wheels one at a time in turns (leaning in) to keep it stable. The video doesn't show it going very fast, even in 3-wheel mode, but it's on an indoor stage. I don't know if the particular I-swing shown is capable of red key or red key plus speeds.

It appears to be designed to fit into the human transporter type niche. It doesn't appear to be too practical (in my opinion). It's as if it were designed to let Toyota say "This is what we could do if we wanted to".

Also, tall and/or wide persons might not be able to fit in it.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:40 PM   #20
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Did you notice how seeming loud it wined, or whistled, as it turned?It rears backward, and it seems like, the front wheel slides out, then the unit seems to fall onto the third wheel. While watching the video it appears that the driver has two joystick controls, one at each arm. He pushed both down to go forward, and pulled one up slightly to turn. I wonder if after awhile, one's wrists would ache or get tired. Is it ergonomic to the wrist and arms, I wonder?

I think the lighted orb in front is probably a fixed position, suspended light bulb with a colored film with the different patterns on it, also suspended but on a flimsy, springy mount to give the impression of movement. The light is projected on the separated twin half orbs material covers and slight movement makes the film between the light and fabric cover, wobble, and move giving the impression something is alive inside.

I would imagine that with its automatic opening and closing of the exit orb, amongst everything else, that it would be alot more expensive than the Segway. It, I think, would be closer to what the expected cost range of the Centaur would be. Maybe they would be classified as a wheelchair. From watching the video, I keep thinking, it seems like a wheelchair.

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"