SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 08-03-2003, 04:35 PM   #21
dibbkd
dibbkd

5 yr Member

You forgot to mention that another drawback of Divx was that they didn't include a lot of the "extra footage" and "special scenes" that DVD had.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you, but I still think the Divx concept was a good one at the time, but obviously I was in the minority because the rest of the consumers and studios didn't agree...

Like I said though, my Divx/DVD player was the same price (I think actually cheaper) than some of the "DVD only" players, and DVD rentals at the time were rare, and even now they're around $4.00 each, so at the time it really wasn't a bad deal.

I'm not sure what service membership you are referring to, I never paid a monthly fee to use Divx, just paid if I watched.

And yes, I did get the $100 refund when they folded, that was cool, and also Circuit City put all their Divx on sale for $1.00 (which you could watch for 48 hours up to a year later).

Anyway, they are history, and that's OK with me too. I really don't miss it that much...

Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 AM   #22
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have a Tivo and LOVE! it. I have expanded it by replacing the hard drive with a 120GB drive and adding another 120GB drive to give me 305 hours of record time in low quality (nobody uses this) and 85 hours in high quality mode (all I ever use).

I love the Season Pass feature that will have the Tivo record all of the episodes for a show for a season. It knows not to record preempted shows and to record extra long shows. I hardly every watch live TV any more. I have the Tivo record my favorite shows and I watch then when I have time. And while watching, I use the fast forward to bypass commercials.

I also installed a network interface card so that the Tivo gets its daily schedule updates downloaded via my broadband connection instead of bothering with a slow modem.

Monthly service charge is $12.95 per month or $299 for a subscription that lasts the lifetime of the unit.

Tivo has a "copy to VCR" feature that will queue up a show and play it so that it can be recorded by a VCR. I have connected this to my computer, digitized the show and then burned it onto a DVD.

Stan Dobrowski
Old 08-05-2003, 02:23 PM   #23
muckle
muckle

5 yr Member

OK, Bruce, I'll stop pestering you guys... <g>

I'm basically sold on the concept and will get one in the next couple of months.

Oh, and I felt strongly that the Divx format was a DOG - for the reasons outlined by Bruce. I used to frequent a site called 'FightDivx.com' that eventually morphed into DVDpricesearch.com (I think).
Old 08-05-2003, 02:37 PM   #24
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

Oh wow, the memories..

DIVX - yup! Been there and done that too. I was a DVD early adopter and fought the online battle against DIVX in the newsgroups.

It's cool that we as early Seg adopters also share that past in common.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me
Old 08-05-2003, 03:26 PM   #25
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hehe... the old format war against DIVX!!! Lol!

Hey, was anyone here on the old videogame format war between Jaguar and 3DO?

Now 3DO was CERTAINLY an object whose hype matched the Segway!

(I bought an early 3DO back in the day... WHOOO expensive)

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
Old 10-14-2003, 04:51 PM   #26
muckle
muckle

5 yr Member

OK - so it turns out that my cable provider (Time Warner) has a service for $9/month whereby you trade in your cable box for a DVR/cable box. It holds 30 hours of programming and has PIP, live-action pause, etc. Plus you can tape one channel while watching another. And this way you don't have to spend $200 on a unit, plus more for monthly 'access'.

So, is there an advantage to this vs Tivo? Or vice verse?

Thanks!