SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #11
Betty Boom
Betty Boom

5 yr Member

Here's a quick update--it turns out you CAN use a Segway (at EPCOT anyway) but there is a catch--you have to RENT one from them at an astronomical hourly fee. Now I am really beginning to think there is a discrimination angle to this. The reason they state is that they can control which key you use (black only)--so I wonder if you turn in your other keys for them to hold while in the park if they would let you in?? Or is it really all about they money. Some one might want to try it if they really want to go...might work at other parks too.

Betty Boom
Betty Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:42 PM   #12
Okeechobee Wind
Okeechobee Wind

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Betty Boom

I was stopped by 2 security guards and a "Disney cast member-- Brian from West Allis, Wisconsin" who was very officious and told me 2 wheeled vehicles were not allowed in D.T.Disney. I started to explain what it was used for and he said "I know what a Segway is, we use them all the time, I just got off mine because I prefer to walk" !!!!!!!!!!! Talk about adding insult to injury. Then he said I had to get off it right there and walk it out of the area! Betty Boom
I had the same initial experience while at Downtown Disney. A guard who said I must leave stopped me. I said no and I mentioned that I do not believe Disney would want to go against the ADA. We continued in polite conversation while he radioed for a supervisor. The supervisor arrived and his name was Brian, which may be just a code name for daytime supervisor. I do not know.
I ran through what I could do and may do if not allowed to ride my Segway. We discussed his use and that of other cast members.
I believe all the time he was sizing me up as to what the extent of my disability was and as to my character.
Not a reference to a Disney character.
The inter contact took no more than 30 minutes.
I was treated with respect and understanding and allowed to use my Segway for the remainder of my stay at Disney. My stay lasted 6 months.
One out of ten contacts with security personnel at WDW would turn ugly.
There was an instance when a security guard tried to hit me with his car to stop me. When I said it was a disability vehicle and I wanted his name and badge #, he ran off in his vehicle like a scarred rabbit.
There was another time associated with transportation, and night management.

I am saving the full stories to post one day on the DRAFT site.

We spent six months within the Disney gates at Fort Wilderness. The stories go on and on.
As a pioneer of the Disney Segway experience, I made some of the first reservations for the Epcot Segway tour. It is fun and worth it. The more disabled persons who take the tour the better.

Disney believes we will eventually go away. Out of site out of mind.

The idea is not to boycott Disney but overwhelm them with persons wanting to enjoy their park.
Disney goes out of its way to make life easier for the individual with a disability whether it be permanent or of a temporary nature. There is no way to understand what they are thinking as a corporation since they are not sure themselves. I have been told by more than one individual at the corporate level, one day Segway HT’s will be permitted for persons with a disability.
The security personnel that we all encounter are only doing their job and doing what they are paid to do. They have to be told from the top to let it happen well before it happens on a regular basis.

DEMAND DISNEY UNDERSTAND THE DESIRE TO USE SEGWAY.

Keep Segway and Disney in the news.

Let Disney know that the desire to use Segway HT’s as a disability mobility device will not go away.

Jimmy
Okeechobee Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:16 PM   #13
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

6 months at Disney? Jeez. What do you do there for that long?! I can't believe that the guy tried to hit you with his car to get you to stop. It's amazing what positions of authority do to some people. A little metal badge can turn a person into an animal. If you would've been hit, the media would probably jump all over it. Well, unless Disney opened it's wallet and silenced everything. I wonder how hostility towards disabled Seg users will be viewed by the general population? Good for Segway? Bad?
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:02 PM   #14
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Jimmy,

You are certainly paving new ground for future generations.

What Disney property were you on for 6 months, BTW?

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:30 PM   #15
SegwayBill
SegwayBill

5 yr Member

Six months at Disney would make me goofy.

Bill
SegwayBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:02 AM   #16
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Hey Ochee.... haven't heard for you latley. I am going to call Sitnseg (Lenord) and see what the status is and get more onfo. I am for a group presentation of HTs at the gate to see what they would do if a group of us "less than abled" folks wanted access to the Kingdom. Maybe at the same time Betty Boops reported would be in the crowd with us for validation sake, incognito hopefully. I ttried you telephone # the other day and was told by recording that it was no longerf a valid number. E-mail me with your # if it is different. Thanks JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:03 AM   #17
Okeechobee Wind
Okeechobee Wind

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SegwayUtah

Jimmy,
What Disney property were you on for 6 months, BTW?

Chris
Chris, we stay every year for a number of short stays or one large one as last year in Fort Wilderness Camping Resort. I travel in a motor coach and always when leaving or returning to Florida stop for a day stay or extend to a few weeks. This past year it ran from October to March. The best way to explain is, this is my winter home in Orlando. It is a great place to park the coach and still be able to do business as needed in South Florida. Every year is different, you know how cold it gets in Fort Lauderdale during the winter.

Jerry, my phone numbers are the same and intact. I will email you with a number once again.

To this day I believe the guard I mentioned was a off duty Orange County Deputy Sheriff filling in at Disney during Speed week in Daytona. This time of the year brings a rowdy crown to the parks. He acted like he was not familiar with being a "Security" guard and was acting more like a sworn law enforcement officer out of his realm.

Jimmy
Okeechobee Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:38 AM   #18
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Ochee, I will await the e-mail and the number. Thanks ahead of time and I"ll call you when I get it. JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote