SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-25-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Steering grip too stiff

Well, after three dream months of using the Segway, I have had to slow down...

The muscular condition that affects my legs and hence the reason for my using the Segway, also affects my hands.

Like most things, this goes through phases, and the last three months have been better than average, and I have not had to limit my Segway usage because of arm strength.

Unfortunately, when a bad period can hit, I have to be very careful with arm/hand usage. The main problem is the stiffness of the steering grip. This thing is really firm to move!

To be able to use the Segway at all over the past few days, I have had to change the steering grip. I have removed the standard one, and placed one that I have made myself.

It simply consists of the required to magnets attached to some cardboard, made to the right thickness.

I have been able to use this as there is very little effort required to turn it. However, there is no spring type mechanism to restore it to the "straight" position. This makes riding require a little more concentration, but I am not happy in terms of the safety aspects.

If for some reason, in an emergency, I need to take my hands off the steering grip, it will remain in whatever was the last position it was set at. This is not good, as the Segway may keep turning in an undesirable loop.

I am probably going to engage someone professionally to design (or modify) one to suit me.

If anyone has handed the experience modifying the steering grip, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers
Ronny

---
Who said that you shouldn't get carried away on your Segway?
ronzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
smoother
smoother

5 yr Member

The solution depends on whether you have trouble gripping or twisting.

But here is a thought. Modify the original grip to add leverage. Either mold some epoxy putty onto it that exactly fits your hand, or attach some kind of stick that points in a comfortable direction for you to use. Straight up might be good. You could just push it from side to side with your hand without having to grip it or twist it.

Good luck.

John Out.
"Live to glide, glide to live"
smoother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
ronzul
ronzul is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Thanks for the suggestion John.

The main problem is the effort required in twisting the grip. And I guess consequently, the effort required to grip it. The lever idea could be worth a try, although it does seem that the original Segway design is pretty ideal in terms of usage and I would like to try and keep that.

I will order a spare steering grip so that someone can open it and see if there is any way to use a lighter spring.

Ronny

---
ronzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
Suzie
Suzie

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ronzul

Thanks for the suggestion John.

The main problem is the effort required in twisting the grip. And I guess consequently, the effort required to grip it. The lever idea could be worth a try, although it does seem that the original Segway design is pretty ideal in terms of usage and I would like to try and keep that.

I will order a spare steering grip so that someone can open it and see if there is any way to use a lighter spring.

Ronny

---
Wow Ronny, you rock.
Its cool that you made a grip to adapt to your situation. I like John's idea of a lever; kind of like what some quads/paras use on the steering wheel of a car to assist in turning. Don't think I would want the lever sticking up - could poke out an eye...isn't it amazing how moms embed that crap into our heads.
I would contact Wayne and ask him to help you fashion a new grip; he's real inventive and could come up with something.

Good luck - suzie
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Ronny, I don't know if you saw the recent topic on Right Hand Steering. Someone modified the Segway to have the steering grip on the right side. Would that work better for you? You can probably do a forum search for "Right hand Steering" or "RHS" to find the topic.

Stan Dobrowski
Stan671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
Nelda
Nelda is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Ok, so I'm thinking I sprained my left thumb and the fat part of my palm on my hand out gardening the other day and BINGO, it hit me-it's the Segway.
Sure enough, it started hurting again while we were out gliding. I know exactly what it is~my constant correcting or steering or whatever it's called. My weight on the Segway is not equal-a majority of my weight is carried by my left leg-therefore, I always tend to go left, just slightly, but enough to always be correcting with slight turns of the handlebar.
Hey, Wayne, you listening? Maybe we do need something we can attach....
Nelda
Portland Seg
Nelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:29 AM   #7
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Nelda,

Do you have equal pressure in both of your tires? I had an HT that pulled to one side once; it was like 3-5 psi different in one tire than the other.

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 03:31 AM   #8
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

"My weight on the Segway is not equal-a majority of my weight is carried by my left leg"
Put a couple extra pounds of air in your left tire.
It may help straighten you out.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/
Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:04 PM   #9
billc
billc

5 yr Member

Hi Ronny,
a clip on lever type mood could be the way to go. The throw is not great and this helps this type of design (also used on taps!)

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University
billc is offline   Reply With Quote