SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
outside

Default London

Okay, you can all jump on me now. This is off topic. To all of our British enthusiasts, where can I stay cheap in London without worrying about my wellbeing? Okay, I would also like to take a Segway tour while I am in the UK. There I'm on topic.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Official tours are thin on the ground. None near London as far as I know. Some of the southern dealers should jump in here if they know different. There's one in Cardiff (http://www.cardiffbaysegway.com/). Not sure on the status of www.segway-tours.co.uk.

As for accommodation, again, some of the southern UK posters might help, but try laterooms.com or lastminute.com and get a branded hotel at a discounted rate. Failing that, try a Travel Lodge or equivalent.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
outside

Default Thank you Gareth.

I will check those tours. I will also check laterooms.com. By the way, I did not know that Travel Lodge was international. I thought it was a U.S. thingy. When my son was very young and we took short little holidays we would stay at a Travel Lodge. The logo at that time was a sleep-walking bear, so my little one used to call it the Sleep-walking bear hotel.

Again thank you for the information. It is very much appreciated.

Sharon
Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Official tours are thin on the ground. None near London as far as I know. Some of the southern dealers should jump in here if they know different. There's one in Cardiff (http://www.cardiffbaysegway.com/). Not sure on the status of www.segway-tours.co.uk.
As for accommodation, again, some of the southern UK posters might help, but try laterooms.com or lastminute.com and get a branded hotel at a discounted rate. Failing that, try a Travel Lodge or equivalent.
No tours operating currently. Mike has returned to South Africa.

Definately no tours in London. Even the Robotics event has closed down apparently.
Gareth is right about the hotels.
What area are you aiming at?

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
i2Glide
i2Glide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

HI,

Whenever I fly to Europe I use Octopustravel.com. They only do hotels but they have some good rates and whatever is quoted is the total you pay. Nothing extra is added.

They also rate the hotels right on the sight so it is easy to pick.
i2Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Definately no tours in London.
Is that by statute or lack of business?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Legislation, unfortunately. Segs are not legal anywhere other than private property with the owners permission. Except the Cardiff Bag Segway operation, which has a special arrangement.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
outside

I would like to stay in the London area, as that is where I would like to do most of my sightseeing. I may have to stay outside of London and commute to the city.

As for a Segway tour, I could probably take a coach to Segway Cardiff. I see it is between 150 and 160 miles. Which should be between a 2 & 1/2 or 3 hour ride. In California that's a short commute to work. I would consider renting a car outside of London, but I've never driven on the WRONG side of the street before.

Any info I can get is much appreciated. You can send e-mails directly to my e-mail address, which is listed in my profile.

Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
gbrandwood
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Rent a Tom Tom Sat Nav. Your journey will be a breeze. Plus it reminds you which side of the road you should be driving on!!! I think Cardiff Bay are selling tour vouchers on eBay right now too. Why not drop them an e-mail. They're on the chat (alcardiff) and may do you a special deal. I'm sure they'd make you welcome. Cardiff is a nice place to visit.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
outside

Default Thank you.

Thank you to all of you for the great information. I have a Tom Tom Sat Nav. I know this is a dumb question, but will it work in the U.K.? I'm assuming that because it is satellite based it will. However, maybe I do not have the correct software, since it was purchased in the U.S. Any thoughts on this.

With all the information I have received from all of you, it looks like late March/ early April I will be in the U.K. I most likely will be gliding with the Cardiff folks.

Thank you to all of you.

Sharon