SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #11
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
Valence manufactures the cells. Yes, it is confirmed and it is even printed on the battery label on the case of the battery. I have found that the newer products have not proven to be as durable as the older batteries. Over the past year I have seen plenty (at least 200+) of the newer Rev.AH and Rev. AJ batteries in with severely failed cells . Some even with the cell housing physically coming apart at the positive end. When we take apart older batteries that are 12-14 yr old we VERY rarely finding such things. IMO, they were a much better product in the past than they are in the present day.

I attached a photo that was just taken a few months ago, I would have to look to confirm but I am fairly confident this was a Rev.AJ that was about 1yr old. You can see on the tabs there is heat damage to all the tabs and most of the cells started to vent. The one cell even had the positive cap blown open. The heat damaged tabs did not start until Rev.AH and continues to be a problem in Rev.AJ. I'm hoping that it gets corrected soon.
Holy smokes (no pun intended.) So, those yellow cells that are Valence cells that met an untimely death? That's ugly. Are the blue cells from older batteries the ones that are more reliable? Perhaps batteries that are a few years old are better than the new ones. 200+ failures of the more recent "factory" batteries is a bit alarming. Especially since they only carry a 1-year warranty. I would pretty upset if I dropped the coin for new batteries from Segway and had them die two years later. The pack I took apart wasn't anywhere near that bad.

So, it looks like the quality of Valence cells has really fallen off. And here I was excited to hear about the batteries that have over 10K miles. I guess the new batteries are less likely to last that long. Too bad, really. I'm hoping my Seg will last 20 years. I can't imagine life without it!
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, dead, europe, revive