SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:37 PM   #31
RWC
RWC

5 yr Member

Grand Opening of Seaway, SAN DIEGO'S FIRST SEGWAY RENTAL BIZ.

It opened today in Belmont Park, an amusement park that has been there for decades. I called and they said you can use it in an area they have set aside within the park. It sounds like a controlled space. I asked if once I got the hang of it, could I head out onto the Boardwalk? They said no, "not now, you have to ride in our space set aside for Segways".

This is good news. Belmont Park is located right on the beach with a multi-mile boardwalk along part of its west edge. If they allowed novice riders to venture out in public in the neighborhood it could be TERRIBLE. It is dense with beach partying crowds. The Boardwalk is already a war zone of walkers, dogs, bikes, skaters, joggers, etc. and has a politicised history. Just riding on the boardwalk could percipitate a ban in that neighborhood at least.

Seaway sounds like an ideal location. I think that most of the initial appeal is just to experience the HT technology... to see it and try it. Of course it's great to glide along different kinds of territory, to actually travel, but the first-timers I think are after the experience.

Their ad says "Come see what everyone is talking about... Ride the Segway HT today!"

I'll swing by there later in the week just to see how they do what they do, more out of curiosity than being protective. Had they said they would let people glide unsupervised in the Mission Beach area (or maybe anywhere in the park) I would have been down there this morning.

I don't think motivating a business to be careful is "Brown Shirt" activity, especially now. Their focus on near term business needs can easily erode what freedoms we have today, tenuous as they are. These freedoms are also enjoyed by the business and in the long term will serve them well.

Take care, R.

"The best way to control your cow or sheep is to give them a large spacious meadow" - Suzuki Roshi
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:40 PM   #32
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

i think that's a great way to start out with rentals, thanks rwc!

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:43 AM   #33
emanresu
emanresu

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by opti6600

Yeah, but emanresu...most people don't start running around with a bulldozer in a park! Although...it could have its funny points...
That's what I was thinking, and I have yet to see a sign at a park entrance saying "No Bulldozers After Dusk"...
emanresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 11:45 AM   #34
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

There are no signs because people aren't bringing their bulldozers to the park. When they start doing that, emanresu, you'll see the signs

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote