SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 05-30-2003, 03:12 PM   #11
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

paul-

that link seems to be broken.

but even without seeing a story, here's the deal-- segways are sold to canada and they're not on the law books (yet). i think you'll lose any court case and that could be really bad and could shape a ban.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:
http://www.bookofseg.com

other stuff:
http://www.flashenabled.com
pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:19 PM   #12
larryKay
larryKay

5 yr Member

"but even without seeing a story, here's the deal-- segways are sold to canada and they're not on the law books (yet)."

Here in New York, there are no laws permitting the use of a Segway and we certainly are buying them and using them. Fairly soon, there will be laws as they become more high profile....

Larry
larryKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:20 PM   #13
sfh1790
sfh1790

5 yr Member

Bruce -

I don't think you have to sign anything to be bound by a usage agreement with a manufacturer.

For example, if you buy a movie DVD, I'll bet you are prohibited from showing (effectively renting) that DVD in a theatre and making money from it.

A similar rule applies to software, although the manufacturer typically has you click a button to show that you've read the agreement. Which nobody does...

sh
[email protected]
sfh1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:22 PM   #14
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

larry-

i think the problem is, you (or this fellow) will lose any court case if you get a ticket in a place like new york or other areas that do not have this on the books...and then after that, you'll see laws that basically ban them.

boy, i'm all doom and gloom today.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:
Old 05-30-2003, 03:40 PM   #15
pemond1
pemond1

5 yr Member

Sorry ... Looks like they removed the link. I've posted a jpg copy of the article at ...

http://www.comprez.com/segway.jpg

-----------------
Paul Emond
pemond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 03:47 PM   #16
pt
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

that's pretty accurate, if you want to use the segway ht in canada legally, gotta get the laws going.

cheers,
pt

======================

segway ht journal:

other stuff:
Old 06-24-2003, 03:58 AM   #17
Vansegway
Vansegway

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

okay-

let me add to this, the segway place in vancouver did not show the safety video. according to someone (andrew) who rented from there.

to recap. 15 minutes, and in some cases, no video.

yikes.
yikes.
yikes.
Please check your facts! I have been there many times, I know more people than I can remeber that rent scooters from the place in Vancouver..and all of them were shown the video and AT LEAST a 15 minute training exercise. One person I saw when I was there was not doing all that great for some reason..and the trainer was with him for more than 25 minutes before he was satisfied.
And what exactly is wrong with renting?? Because of the action of a few stupid, immature people..people should not be able to rent them in vancouver or anywhere else..because they MAY be banned? They definately will not..at least in Vancouver.

"i predict a ban in vancouver within 30 to 60 days and it will be spawned from the rental biz."

umm..excuse me mr moderator..your 30 days are up, and "I PREDICT" that they will not be banned in another 30 either...or anytime for that matter. The rental place is doing great, the people who rent them are happy and safe, and the neighbourhood is happy as well. so stop the doom and gloom as you call it.
Vansegway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 12:41 PM   #18
st7860
st7860

5 yr Member

vancouverboy probably doesnt realise the segway doesnt qualify under the scooter/electric laws(so its illegal in bc) which state that the maximum motor power is about half a kW. i think the segway is at least a kW or more.
st7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:42 PM   #19
Vansegway
Vansegway

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by st7860

vancouverboy probably doesnt realise the segway doesnt qualify under the scooter/electric laws(so its illegal in bc) which state that the maximum motor power is about half a kW. i think the segway is at least a kW or more.
and what bs7860 probably doesn't realise is that they are not legal, but not illegal either. ALL of the vancouver city council recently tried segways, including the mayor of vancouver. They all liked them, and had nothing but positive things to say, and they passed their observations and recomendations on the the bc government and icbc. The mayor is hopeful that they will evaluate the segway and implement laws that will make it legal on sidewalks and citystreets.
Vansegway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:30 PM   #20
wheels
wheels

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

sorry folks, i usually never post doom and gloom.

cheers,
pt
NOT TRUE pt, you usually post doom and gloom. Your main problem is 'Doom And Gloom'. With you, "Every silver lining has a cloud around it" .
-------------------------------
Example: Segway LA is merrily planning our get together and you come along with: "i'm a bit scared to even bring this up...

parks are a sensitive subject for cities in regards to the ht. if you plan to have a lot of people in the park with segways, you might want to get approval or work with the city.

just a suggestion, i'm trying to work with my city now and i can tell ya that parks are well, very different than other things.
------------------------------
THAT'S DOOM AND GLOOM pt !
You bring to mind; A person who took a headache tablet and... sure enough they got a headache.

FYI' We have between 25-30 Park Rangers coming over to our site to get demo's. They were the ones who asked if they could come and visit us... I did NO sucking up.

Listen to yourself when you sign-off with "Cheers"

"Life's a wheelie when you're on a Segway"
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote