SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-28-2002, 11:50 AM   #11
bicycledriver
bicycledriver

5 yr Member

FYI here is the open letter I wrote to the electric vehicle industry back in March, as published on the EV world web site:

http://evworld.com/databases/storybu...fm?storyid=322

-Steve Goodridge
Old 12-28-2002, 05:10 PM   #12
vanos
vanos

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

Milage and emissions are not the same thing. The TDI volkswagen cars are among the dirtiest cars in their class, according to the EPA. Sorry there, Vanos.

Here's some quotes from a site that compares them to the Insight:

Smog-forming emissions from the TDI Beetle are about 5 times that of the 5 speed Insight, and about 50 times that of the CVT Insight

In terms of fuel efficiency, comparing mpg figures of gasoline powered vehicles with diesel powered vehicles is like comparing apples and oranges. All things being equal, a diesel powered vehicle will travel further on the same volume of fuel, as diesel oil provides more energy per volume than gasoline. As such, the Beetle & Golf's energy efficiency is even worse compared to the Insight than the figures would suggest.

Here's a link:

http://www.pirieworld.ca/~insight/compare-tdi.html
Old 12-28-2002, 06:10 PM   #13
axiotek
axiotek

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bicycledriver

FYI here is the open letter I wrote to the electric vehicle industry back in March, as published on the EV world web site:

http://evworld.com/databases/storybu...fm?storyid=322

-Steve Goodridge
Nice article bicycledriver... I realize now the implication of regulating based on max vs. min speed limit which is a question I meant to follow-up with you in a previous thread.

This is another great thread about emerging transportation technology, thanks all. The Segway is the most elegant and sophisticated of EVs really an (EPAMD) in my opinion, zero turn radius etc. But I look forward to the waning of ic engine dependence for sure.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:19 PM   #14
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

Admin Edit: Great thread but OFF TOPIC for Segway HT discussion. Moved to Sci/Tech.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
Old 12-29-2002, 04:41 AM   #15
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hmmm...

Vanos quoted me, but then didn't say anything. Were his comments edited out? I hope he didn't take it too hard!