SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
philippeseg
philippeseg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Red face Can you ride Segway on a supercross track ?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Segway newbies, take note. The handlebars are too low, and if you want to see how NOT to climb hills, jump to 5:20 in the video. See how he thinks he is leaning forward, but is actually just sticking out his butt?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

So, I don't have much experience on X2s... Do they have more torque and more climb than an i2? I know they have more float on soft sand, and more absorption of bumps, but do they really have more climb?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
behindblueeyes
behindblueeyes is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Fun

It looks like fun. I wish I were there. How high should he have the handle bar? It looks good to me. Any higher and it moves to his chest.
behindblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
So, I don't have much experience on X2s... Do they have more torque and more climb than an i2? I know they have more float on soft sand, and more absorption of bumps, but do they really have more climb?
At ~2.5 HP per motor, while they don't have as much torque (not sure what you mean by climb.... ability to climb?) as an i2, they have far more traction. This makes low speed (high torque) climbs easier and safer. If by "more climb" you mean "more ability to climb" then overall i'd say yes, they do have more climb.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 05-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
At ~2.5 HP per motor, while they don't have as much torque (not sure what you mean by climb.... ability to climb?) as an i2, they have far more traction. This makes low speed (high torque) climbs easier and safer. If by "more climb" you mean "more ability to climb" then overall i'd say yes, they do have more climb.

I was watching the X2 struggling with some of the steeper climbs in that video... I was wondering how an i2 would do in the exact same video. ( I Know that it would have more problem with loose surfaces, but much of that seems pretty well packed tight.)

I was also thinking of my lawn mowers... I pull a rotary mower behind my i2. I have a gang of three, but climbing a hill on my lawn makes this much drag a bit too much. I don't loose traction, as I have some ett tires on, but at some points, the forward motion is gone, and stick shake is real, because not only the weight of the mowers being pulled, but the drag is greater because the wheels turn gears which turn the blades... I was wondering if the X2 would pull in this situation better...

I have already asked someone who knows, and received my answer which I believe is correct, but was curious what the consensus is...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Gihgehls

5 yr Member

I'm glad you got some information, but I'm unhappy you aren't sharing it. Anyway, it's hard to make a direct comparison between models because the software is different. If you converted an i2 to an x2 so that the software was the only different thing, you'd find that the true x2 would tollerate being pushed around more than the i2, and that it would give you stick shake later.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've just watched the video in full. First comment is that the x2 has some BMX style handlebars fitted which actually look okay in my opinon - plus the cross bar on it would be great as a 3rd handle (like the accessory bar) and of course a good platform for mounting several accessories.

As for the x2 versus i2s capabilities on this track - I would also like to see how a standard i2 performs and also an i2 with knobbly tyres on it.

As already stated above, I think the key thing here is that the x2 has software tuned for harsher environments and of course the tyres on the x2 are supreme for these environments. The x2 should beat an i2 hands down here. Otherwise Segway's off-road model is not really offering the off-roader much benefit.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:51 AM   #9
Araneanz
Araneanz is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I've just watched the video in full. First comment is that the x2 has some BMX style handlebars fitted which actually look okay in my opinon - plus the cross bar on it would be great as a 3rd handle (like the accessory bar) and of course a good platform for mounting several accessories.

As for the x2 versus i2s capabilities on this track - I would also like to see how a standard i2 performs and also an i2 with knobbly tyres on it.

As already stated above, I think the key thing here is that the x2 has software tuned for harsher environments and of course the tyres on the x2 are supreme for these environments. The x2 should beat an i2 hands down here. Otherwise Segway's off-road model is not really offering the off-roader much benefit.
Based on my limited experience an i2 with the x2 kit installed should perform just as well an x2. Using the knobbly tires vs the standard i2 tires on a BMX track make a lot of difference.

Naturally, the users gliding style does make a lot of difference on how the i2/x2 will perform.
Araneanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Arrow Take the rough with the smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araneanz View Post
Based on my limited experience an i2 with the x2 kit installed should perform just as well an x2.
Whilst I'm sure your FrankenSeg () works fine, I recall specific references being made, by Segway INC, between the two models in terms of software. Actually, the comparison was made between an XT and Gen1 i series. Therefore I can only assume that a native x2 will perform better in some situations better than a converted model.

There's only one way to tell. We'd have to put the same rider on the same course with both machines (one at a time of course!) and video the results and record the rider's feedback. Do the test with a good rider and maybe with someone without as much experience. I'd be interested to know if any differences are perceptible.

But I agree that your gliding style will probably have the biggest overall effect.