SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ever-Glides View Post
I don't believe it is ever necessary go have a tour exceed 8mph. Any faster and it is no longer about the tour and worthwhile content, the focus is shifted to the limits of the Segway. Usually it then is a guided ride at best, and not a true tour experience.
I beg to differ. At Gettysburg, we cover more than 10 miles in 2.5 hours, including many stops and four dismounts. So when we're moving, we're frequently moving at full speed. In order to do justice to the history, the ground we need to cover is just that vast.

Perhaps you were referring specifically to city tours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #12
paneinglass
paneinglass is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I agree, we have portions of our tours where walking speed is needed, and some paths where cruising 10 mph makes the tour mixed and enjoyable. Every tour has its own specifics. Labeling a specific speed as the norm is maybe great for your tour. But different environments dictate what a safe speed is. Ours is a very safe tour. But thanks for the imput.
paneinglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
startup
startup is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Top Speeds

We used turtle for training and a top speed of 11 mph for guests. I always want to know that my guides can catch up to any guest having issues. (Our guide speed is always 12.5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

startup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #14
Halffro777
Halffro777 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Turtle mode should not cause riders to hate it if rider expectations are managed effectively. If the speed of the group does not hover around 6mph all of the time then you don't get the limiter. Turning rate in turtle mode is fine for turtle mode speeds. If they cannot turn quick enough to avoid something, unless that 'something' is moving and came upon them, then I would suggest the riders are not gliding effectively. They need to identify hazards in advance which do not require lightning fast reactions.

If people are struggling in turtle mode, I will not turn it off.

These are my thoughts at least.
We just found that a large number of people did not find the segway to be intuitive for everybody while in turtle mode. Countless people have been unable to fully grasp the segway until turtle mode was taken off and then you can see the light go on. All of my tour guides are excellent at controlling the speed of their group so we just use that to ensure safety. You can spend half your day "effectively managing rider expectations" and I'll spend my day making sure people have fun while remaining safe. I don't know how it is going for you, but I'm "gliding effectively" to the bank with a big smile on my face.

Next time you share your thoughts please remember that each tour has different terrain and therefore may do things a little differently. Thanks for playing.
Halffro777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Halffro777

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvelke View Post
I beg to differ. At Gettysburg, we cover more than 10 miles in 2.5 hours, including many stops and four dismounts. So when we're moving, we're frequently moving at full speed. In order to do justice to the history, the ground we need to cover is just that vast.

Perhaps you were referring specifically to city tours.

taken from dictionary.com, the definition of the word "tour"

tour: to travel from place to place.

I would say that any guided ride on a segway would fall under this category. Standard logic would then say that a guided ride is a tour.

But what do I know?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #16
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halffro777 View Post
We just found that a large number of people did not find the segway to be intuitive for everybody while in turtle mode. Countless people have been unable to fully grasp the segway until turtle mode was taken off and then you can see the light go on. All of my tour guides are excellent at controlling the speed of their group so we just use that to ensure safety. You can spend half your day "effectively managing rider expectations" and I'll spend my day making sure people have fun while remaining safe. I don't know how it is going for you, but I'm "gliding effectively" to the bank with a big smile on my face.

Next time you share your thoughts please remember that each tour has different terrain and therefore may do things a little differently. Thanks for playing.
I know that every tour has different terrain. But it is not just about the terrain. Heck, we go the same way every time and even the same terrain can be different in lots of ways (not even including the weather). Each tour has riders with different abilities, different expectations and different learning styles and behaviours. We adapt as best we can to all situations. We don't spend all day setting expectations, just a minute or two explaining turtle mode with a promise that we will turn it off once everyone has demonstrated their proficiency. This works well for us but your mileage may vary.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halffro777 View Post
taken from dictionary.com, the definition of the word "tour"

tour: to travel from place to place.

I would say that any guided ride on a segway would fall under this category. Standard logic would then say that a guided ride is a tour.

But what do I know?
I have no idea why you think that is responsive to my comments.

In fact, we do distinguish between rides (which we define as being merely for enjoyment) and tours (during which we include narrative about the history of the area). You're welcome to disagree with our definitions but, unlike Tom, I don't think that's relevant to the question of appropriate speed.

And, for what it is worth, we never use Turtle Mode. In our environment (where we ride at 8+ mph a lot), at least, I don't think that it promotes safety to teach novice riders two different sets of riding characteristics (i.e., response to speed and turning) when they will only encounter one is real life.

bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
Halffro777

5 yr Member

Sorry Bob. I misused the quote feature when I quoted you. I was trying to agree with you. Like I said, we never use turtle mode either.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvelke View Post
I don't think that it promotes safety to teach novice riders two different sets of riding characteristics (i.e., response to speed and turning) when they will only encounter one is real life.
I had not considered it that way. That's an interesting POV.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Turtle mode affects steering. Say it with me:

Turtle mode affects steering!

If you need to limit speed, you are better off programming the fast mode in the infokey to be slower. This way, the (safer) turning rate is enabled while the speed is limited.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
top speed, tour