SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #11
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Sometimes you have to ask yourself which you prefer more: Seeing truth win or seeing peace win.

I choose both

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I choose both
The operative word is "sometimes." Sometimes we cannot get both, no matter how much we wish it. It is in these times, when we decide to either fight for the truth or relax for the peace. Is arguing about weather the sky is blue or not worth damaging relationships over?
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
The operative word is "sometimes." Sometimes we cannot get both, no matter how much we wish it. It is in these times, when we decide to either fight for the truth or relax for the peace. Is arguing about weather the sky is blue or not worth damaging relationships over?

This argument makes the presumption that peace and truth are two separate and distinct objectives or destinations...

I will not comment on if that is so or not...

But, if the presumption were instead that if everyone came to understand the same truth, then there would be peace, then there would have to be a different answer to your question...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
It wasn't until I right-clicked on it to 'save-as' and noticed the file name 'Turtleharecrip' whereas the original was 'Turtlehare.'
Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your two cents. We're all two virtual cents richer for your contribution. (Metaphor, genuine thanks, NOT sarcasm).

I think we often place too much significance on a word.

A group of Americans used to be called by a word that I won't even abbreviate, such is its history of abuse.

Then, many decades ago, they campaigned to be called by another word, based on the color of their skin. Fine, I agree, that was an improvement. And it helped highlight that the only fundamental difference was purely a surface feature of no import.

But oddly enough, the old word meant the exact same thing, being derived from the word for that color in another language. The difference was pretty much two factors -- shedding the disrespect associated with the old word, and gaining the respect of people using a self-chosen word that people are more comfortable with.

Then people decided, for reasons I don't know, they wanted to be called by their supposed continent of origin, combined with their current one. A step back, in my opinion -- it's not always accurate and fails to accurately capture the distinguishing difference of the group. But it's not my opinion that matters in the slightest, so fine.

Such is progress, and one of a very small number of cases where I think changing the language really did make a difference.

But the odd thing is, some members of this group CALL EACH OTHER with the original word, with all its hateful connotations. And it's considered (by many, at least), to be OK. Certainly, its connotations are different when used that way.

Similar, perhaps, to ethnic jokes told by members of that ethnicity, or lawyer jokes told by lawyers. I'm not judging.

I think the analogy here is clear. The question is, to what degree should we consider "cripple" to be a verboten term. I think the history of discrimination against the disabled pales in many ways against other past histories. Is this word really so contaminated with misuse and abuse that we should take offense for its mere use, assuming disrespectful intent? Even when the person using it is a member of the group?

Personally, I chose not to take offense here. There are enough things to be offended by with more substance.

But it's a fair feeling to express, and thus a fair question you raise.

Sorry for the length; I trust you understand why I'm careful in my wording here.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #15
KSagal

I am sorry it took so many words, even though I know why.

I believe that these days we have to bend over backwards in an effort to not offend, and even go so far as to choose our words so that even portions of them will not come back as damaging...

All that said, I think the cartoon and it's modified version came from a man who tirelessly advances the causes for the disabled. He does not in any way strike me as a person who would deride a group, any group, and especially that one which he himself is a member...

I believe this is a simple case of a pot calling a fellow kettle black, and not intending any harm.

That is at least, how I interpret what is going on...

And a good point worthy of discussion and clarification.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default For those of you who know Tarkus

He refers to himself as a crip, so he may not have the sensitivity to the word that others may have.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
Pawsboy
Pawsboy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Ignore List is great!

If it wasn't for the ignore list I would have stopped visiting segwaychat a long time ago!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
Chipster
Chipster is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs up I have been enlightened

Thank you. I have heard you ... and ... I better understand. I think it had more to do with being new and watching (not listening to) the posts. Today, I learned about DRAFT and VERY much appreciated that link and the content.

The insight provided was very helpful.

Thanks.

Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #19
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsboy View Post
If it wasn't for the ignore list I would have stopped visiting segwaychat a long time ago!
And I thought I was the only one.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #20
Paula465
Paula465 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have a great deal of forum experience, from both the user and moderator side of the fence. Most of the forums I participate in are gaming forums and the ages of the users run the gamut from teens to us oldsters.

What I have found is maturity has no age restrictions. I've seen mature behavior from the very young and the most childish behavior from those who are old enough to know better.

After all this time, what I have concluded is that there are attention seekers among us. They don't care what sort of attention they received and most have discovered that negative attention is about all they are going to get so they go after it with a passion. It does not matter how outrageous their stance or comments. They do not make them because they have worth. They make them for the attention they will receive. Deny them the attention, they go away.

I will be the first to admit that this is very difficult to do. You want to respond, you want to set the record straight. However, if the attention seekers on this forum are like the others, no amount of argument, salient facts or truth will deter them. They are after none of that, only the attention you are giving them by responding.

The unmade bed will not unmake itself once you have made it. The parachute will not unpack itself once you have packed it. The attention seeker will continue on no matter what you do.

Most forum participants will recognize these people and give what they say no credence at all, especially if every time they post, it is with the same negativity and lack of factual information.

I do not counsel someone's actions on such situations. What you have to ask yourself is how much do you value your time and how much of it you have to spend wasting it upon an individual who is only after the time you spend on them?
Paula465 is offline   Reply With Quote