SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
ndswan
ndswan is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default affordable insurance

Starting a new Tour business in west Michigan, I find it nearly impossible to find insurance affordable. Only wanting liability insurance, willing to take high deductable, and only needing it in the summer months are issues most companies don't care for. I am considering not obtaining any. The business is a registered LLC, and I would use a strict release of liability form signed by the patron. Only using 6 machines, only tours, no rentals, limited season all limit income making high insurance unaffordable.

Any comments or better ideas?
ndswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Joushou
Joushou will become famous soon enoughJoushou will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndswan View Post
Starting a new Tour business in west Michigan, I find it nearly impossible to find insurance affordable. Only wanting liability insurance, willing to take high deductable, and only needing it in the summer months are issues most companies don't care for. I am considering not obtaining any. The business is a registered LLC, and I would use a strict release of liability form signed by the patron. Only using 6 machines, only tours, no rentals, limited season all limit income making high insurance unaffordable.

Any comments or better ideas?
If i recall correctly, they don't work legally...

Reality has been scientifically proven impossible.
Joushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joushou View Post
If i recall correctly, they don't work legally...
I don't think that's really their main function. I think their main function is to discourage people from thinking about suing. "Well, I DID sign a waiver..."

In other words, they're likely to work up to the point where a person talks to a lawyer. If you can keep him from going that far, you've won.

They may have some additional value -- they do indicate that you've been told of the risks, after all. But you can't sign a way basic rights. If I do something negligent, and you're harmed as a result, you can generally sue me even if you signed something saying you wouldn't.

And if YOU do something stupid, and you're harmed as a result, you can generally sue me, even if you signed something saying you wouldn't, and even if you have no case -- if you get a lawyer who thinks I have enough money to be worth it. I won't be eager to spend the money to defend.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

It is important to remember that each country has their own laws, and what is legal or illegal in the US is not the same as what is legal in other countries.

Further, the legality or effectiveness of many waivers vary from state to state...

On a practical, non legal level, often times these cases come down to convincing a judge or jury who was more at fault, or who did not do what they said they would... In that case, a document that explains what each party is acknowledging are their own responsibilities, signed by each party, clears up some of the he said-he said arguments.

So, while their legal ability to make lawsuits impractical is very much debatable, a well written waiver can indeed make winning that lawsuit more difficult, especially if the owner is not negligent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

We use ISU Insurance and find them very reasonable.
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Link ...

The link does not seem to work ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvelke View Post
We use ISU Insurance and find them very reasonable.

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It works for me.
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee
Default Try this link

http://www.insuranceforbicycles.com/
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
emrnyc
emrnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Got it....

Got it ..... Thank you ..... And they were very nice on the phone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiMike View Post
http://www.insuranceforbicycles.com/

NYC's Only Segway Trained Level 1 & Level 2 Service Tech

8 EMS - 37 PAPD - 23 NYPD - 343 FDNY
Never forget our Brother & Sister Heroes 9/11/01.
It was not how they died that made them heroes.....
It was how they lived!

Check out Emergency Medical Rescue of New York City's website
emrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Just Seg-it
Just Seg-it is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hello Bob, as you know I broke my ankle on a tour and decided not to sue. My lawyers said what you just did, it´s their word against mine. Even though I fell because another glider blocked my my path (I should sue him) it was my fault and my fall. I had resonable training by the tour gide, although I could of claimed not. I´m just not that kind of guy. The lawyers said I would probably win and bottom line the one that pays is the insurance company. Well I´m recuperating as you know and hopefully "will get back on the horse that threw me".
Just Seg-it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance blues