SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
In my book, there are only two kinds of seggers.

1. Those who have fallen off their segway.

2. Those who lie about having fallen off their segway.

I suppose there could be a couple folks out there who don't fit these two categories, but I am confident that most do.
I agree, although there should be a "newbie who hasn't fallen off yet", category.

However, based on some responses to earlier threads about insurance, isn't there another group of individuals who could not possibly fall? After all, a fall is a type of "accident" and these individuals are so perfectly attuned to their environment and so perfectly in control of themselves that they could not possibly be involved in an accident.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have not fallen in years, mostly because I am pretty good at knowing what the segway can do, and what it cannot do, and how it acts when going from one toward the other.

People mostly need to learn the operating envelope, or the limits as to what a machine will do. One of the best lessons is to go beyond. It has a tendency to imprint better than stopping just short of a problem, mostly because a body never knows how much just short it was, but once on the ground, you realize pretty well how far just too much was.

I am not buying into the insurance bait.

Experienced gliders will know more what they are doing, what they are capable of doing, and what they are likely to fail at much more so than newbies. Of course, some are just not that good at judgments of this type, and others may not care to exercise caution (in a given situation or always), so they are the exceptions to the rule.

I have heard that the difference between doing it right and doing it wrong is experience. And I have also heard that experience is gained by doing it wrong, and learning not to do it that way again. So there you have it.

By the way, I suspect I will fall again. It will just be years and many miles between falls now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

The kind of extreme root negotiating the OP describes is actually much easier on a gen 1. I used to have great fun doing slow "rock climbing" over steep or rugged terrain. They are doable on gen2 but require much more technique. Glad you weren't hurt!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

With that kind of talk it's my guess you may be 30 years younger than me. My grandson, 21 years takes a lot of chances on my Segway that I would not take at 71 years. It may not be skill or courage. As I told him it just hurts a lot worse at 21 than 71. But, hey, have all the fun that you can endure.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Glad you're okay.

I was bumped off by a bus that I believe didn't see me while making a tight turn. I landed on one foot which resulted in a sprained ankle about 1.5 years or so ago.

I'm all healed now, but more cautious because I turned to answer someone who had a question about it, and in that split second, boom.

Now I concentrate fully while gliding and answer questions when I'm off.
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

I believe I understand the issue here, but having never personally experienced any sexed, over or not, door closers on or off steroids, I am morbidly curious. The only part I really got was the crazed part, as I seem to have experienced all manner of crazed encounters, from squirrels to little old ladies, and bikers to joggers.
This door closer is extremely territorial, and resents any intrusion. While it got me a couple times on the Segway, it would very probably have gotten me if I were on my feet using a cane. You'd think it was an airlock on a space station or something, but no, it's guarding a little non-accessible urinal-only restroom.

I believe its aggressiveness may stem in part from the fact that it has no available mate.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Yet again, I am caught unprepared. It had not occurred to me that frustration could cause a door closer to be more aggressive, or over sexed, or crazed, because of a lack of a mate. I had not even considered the nuptial habits of door closers till this very point in my life.

Being from Massachusetts, I suspect it is legal for that door closer to marry just about anything from the nearest rodent, to the drain trap on the left sink. I don’t know what would qualify as a reasonably appropriate mate in your state.

Is it possible that the spring is just adjusted a bit too tight? I know it lacks the panache of your explanation, and I am usually happy to personify most any animal, but sometimes a spring loaded hinge is just a spring loaded hinge.

Ah….

Err…

Never mind. My desk blotter just attacked me, saying I was being too insensitive.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #18
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolacoy View Post
But, hey, have all the fun that you can endure.
I really, really like this quote, and I'm going to appropriate it for my own use. I love it!

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #19
Nelda
Nelda is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default those wicked tree roots

My first and scariest fall was also due to exposed roots.
A mighty Redwood tree in the Redwood National Park - Lady Bird Johnson Grove, almost gave me a concussion. Luckily for me, the back of my head landed on the nice soft soil that lies under the trees on the trail.
Crossing exposed roots are fine if you go straight across. But the ones that are sideways on a trail are killers. They'll spin you out so fast there's no time to even say a bad word.
The trail in the Hoh Rain Forest used to be ok. But last summer I tried again and because of the roots that go all directions on the trail, it makes it very difficult and I won't even try it again.
But gliding in nature is still my favorite glide.

Nelda
Nelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
Victoria mike
Victoria mike is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Had run in with chain link fence and went down hard on finger arm and shoulder torn leggements and two weeks off work.
( learning hurts!)
Victoria mike is offline   Reply With Quote