SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Blink Charging Network

Hello,

I searched the forum and couldn't find anything about this...

A local business has opened that features Blink Chargers in its parking lot. These chargers apparently use a connector called SAE J1772 and can connect to some models of electric car.

Is there any hope of any sort of converter/adaptor that would make these chargers useful for Segway owners? I know it's probably a long shot, but it just seems like a shame if we Segway owners can't benefit from electric vehicles finally becoming somewhat more popular.

Thanks!
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I am not sure what your telling me. Are these chargers different in some way?
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
SegNerd

5 yr Member

Maybe I wasn't clear that they allow people to recharge their vehicles at the store. It's sort of like the electric version of a gas station.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Pkelley
Pkelley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have ask to plug my Segway in a resterent I did not feel good about it, but they were pleasant about it and acomidated me. I would love to be able to drop a quarter or two in a meter an no free load.
Pkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Is there any hope of any sort of converter/adaptor that would make these chargers useful for Segway owners?
In short, no.

These chargers are designed to provide charging for EV/Hybrid vehicles at high currents through a special connector. What Segs need is a standard residential-style "mains" outlet, whether 120 VAC in the US or 240 VAC in Europe. Following the link to the J1772 connector should make it clear that this is not like plugging into the mains.

Is it possible for an interface to be designed between J1772 and good old standard 120/240? Sure. Possible.

However, as a starter, there is two-way serial communication between vehicle and charging station. These protocols would have to be satisfied before charging could even begin. It's not likely that anyone would put the necessary cash into developing a Segway-interface, just to sell a few hundred units per year. If they did, the price would be outrageous (remembering that kickstands cost over $100), and it would STILL take hours to charge your Seg.

There are so few Segs. Find the right store manager and offer $1 to charge for an hour, and they'll probably let you charge for free.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
SegNerd

5 yr Member

Thanks for providing the technical information.

Asking someone for permission to use their outlet is probably a better idea, but it also makes me feel like a "freeloader" or at least a "weirdo" even if I'm paying for it. Of course, using an outlet without permission is a bad idea.