SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #71
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

Might want to read reviews of one of our first buyers of the Segseat at

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=13129

Mario
Segseat LLC
www.segseat.com

maran747
maran747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:03 AM   #72
Rice1411
Rice1411

5 yr Member

The Segseat is a great concept, however it will never become successful unless all of the dealers sell and promote the seat. In my humble opinion, the seat could actually give Segway Inc. and all of its affiliates some leverage in the widespred acceptance of segway usage on sidewalks and on federal and private property. If the disabled community embraces the segway; property managment at places like the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills, Ca will start viewing segway usage on property as normal and conventional. American citizens all over would come to accept the segway.(check out www.draft.org-there are pix of some handicaped; even people with both legs amputated riding segways, comforatably.) However, the seat must be comforatable, and very high-end. THE seat needs to be set up to be sold for at least $1000-1200. The actual seat should be high quality leather with memory foam inside to act as a cushion and relieve pressure points. If Segseat were my entity, I would sell it to the dealers wholesale for $500 and set the retail price for $1500. This way the dealers have an incentive to sell the product, the product will generate more unit sales, thus hihgly benefiting both SegSeat and the dealers, and segway.

Ryan S. Rice
Rice1411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #73
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

IMHO Segway has enough on their hands just trying to sell HT's.
A seat was never in the plan. It was about standing. There are all ready a ton of sit down scooters.

The Segway was never planned as a "mobility aid" so a seat was a moot point.

As far as DRAFT, most here know the site as it's the first thread on this page.
The main market will be for those, like myself, who use the Seg as a mobility device. So with the HT being $5000.00 out of pocket another $1500.00 would kill the product.

I have no butt left at all and can live with the comfort of the seat as is, no need for leather here.

It's a limited market product and Mario and Co. has done a nice job on the product.

If you want people to accept the Se do as I do. Take the HT and the info from DRAFT and go try to gain entry. Thats how change will happen. Grass roots, not INC.

This week both the NCAA HOOPS & The PGA tour will see me and my SEG.

March Madness no problem, I'll let you know about The Players Championship.

Regards,
Alan
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #74
Alfred
Alfred

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maran747
I have a seat design for the Segway that will allow one to stand up or sit down without getting off - Safely. The sensors would be pressed and activated (replacing the feet of the rider) when the rider sits down.
I am contemplating in going into production and market with the seat but am not sure if there would be a return on the investment that would take to go on with this project. I have tweeked my design with a design and engineering firm that gives it a very professional look which is parallel to the contours and lines of the Segway. It will look like it came from Segway, so it is not just a bunch of cut up and welded aluminum.
A disabled person sitting down versus standing on a Segway would have less problems from security guards going into any building, mall or store. Coupled with a disabled placard in front of the handlebar, it help fend off anyone who might not welcome people on Segways.
Segway has never released any sales figures, I am thinking only about 15,000-20,000. Anyone out there have any guess what the market would be for a well designed seat for the Segway?
Also, can people with MS using Segways benefit in sitting down on a Segway versus standing?

maran747
How about a picture?
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #75
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred
How about a picture?
You may have overlooked this link on an ealier post in this thread:

www.segseat.com

Many pictures there.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote