SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #21
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

JaredHT
Segway has an agreement with J&J not to market the Segway HT as a medical device. Segway could have easily added a seat optional accessory from the get go, a seat is not like designing the Apollo rocket or the Segway itself, but that would have made it too close to a medical assistive device. I'm not certain of course, but what else would it be unless they do just want to stay on course as strictly a standing HT.
Using a seat on a Segway will need learning of course, but anyone who has gone to that far using the Segway, will be a no-brainer using my seat.
What I'm saying I guess is a seat will not only help a great number of people who can use it for medical reasons, but there is also another market out there of potential buyers sitting on the fence that would nudge them over because of a seat option. We are all here trying to spread the use of this great machine, why put any stops of any kind now.

maran747
maran747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #22
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

If you build it, they will come.

Alot of folks will buy a Segway if a seat attachment is available.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/
Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #23
billc
billc

5 yr Member

Jeff...you put it so succinctly....

In fact despite everything else (and I excpect Segway LLC will ytake the same stance) this is not a medical or therapeutic device (Segway or seat)....and the retailers aren't selling these for any specific disability purpose! In fact there is no OFFICIAL requirement for it at all......
.....but gee, if it's there and people want to buy it..???

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #24
Stewbonz
Stewbonz will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I've been marketing my tour to disabled travelers.
I'll probably buy a seat attachment or two...

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/
Stewbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:01 AM   #25
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I cannot nor would not try to predict how Segway would react, But I think you are over thinking it.

I have Spinners and lights and all manner of modifications to my 'e'. I was at an event in Bedford at LLC and saw Dean K.

At one point, with Doug right there, I indicated to Dean that I was embarassed for all the crap I had added to Dean's slick device. All I got in return was a very nice and very cordial response that all I did was make the machine more reflect my vision.

Very polite and no one seemed unhappy.

Go ahead and do your mods. Sell them as aftermarket. Everybody wins. Just do not expect or ask for an official endorcement. I don't think that will happen. Big or small, it is a very conservative company when it comes to the name and logo...

That is how I have seen it anyway...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:48 PM   #26
slide4less
slide4less is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I make all kinds of things for the segway I say go for it if it works get it out there people call all the time asking about a seat and its on my list of things to make at segway of oakland we have a problem getting segways to sell delays from segway would of killed me if I didnt have thease things to sell the unbrakeable kickstand still#1 the Trailer #2 and as a Dealer we need to sell each others stuff and I would sell a seat if it works if its not safe I wont sell But if the Buyer wants it we need to give them wat they want
steve steinberg segway of oakland 510 832-2429 www.segwayofoakland.com
www.segwayjunkyard.com

slide4less
slide4less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:08 PM   #27
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

Anyone else out there if you've just read this foruum the 1st time, if you have any opinions about having a seat for the Segway, please post it here, positive or negative. I'm coming out with a seat in July hopefully reveal it at the Segwayfest in Manchester.
Response to this idea, so far, has beenpositive overall and I am hoping Segway welcomes my seat and not bar any of their authorized dealers from selling it, which again would not suprise me or blame Segway for any concerns they may have.
I will also reveal photos in a website that I'll open on July 8, the 1st day of the Segwayfest in Manchester. Anyone who wants to try it on a Segway should attend.
www.segseat.com - (not open until July 8).

maran747
Old 05-31-2005, 05:31 PM   #28
Suzie
Suzie

5 yr Member

I would be very interested in your design concept. I tried your website link but nothing is there. When will you have photos?

I'm reluctant to provide personal info or receive emails from this site (Segwaychat) but if you post on Draft, I would like to discuss this in more detail.

Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 PM   #29
maran747
maran747

5 yr Member

Suzie
I plan on making the website available on July 8, about the same day as the SegwayFest in Manchester which I plan on attending. You will not be able to open the website until that time. I just want to allow Segway to have a look at the seat first hand in front of owners and potential users. As you've probably read, I'm concerned of Segway trying to block me from marketing this seat without taking a look at the seat 1st.
What is your member's name in DRAFT LLC? Could not find you.

maran747
Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #30
billc
billc

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maran747

Suzie
I'm concerned of Segway trying to block me from marketing this seat without taking a look at the seat 1st.
maran747
Don't think Segway can or will try and do that...the worst you'll get is ignored!

BTW when are the pictures available? (Just kidding!)

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University
billc is offline   Reply With Quote