SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Default Disabled Segway Users Unite!

Last November Leonard Timm and I began having discussions about the need to set up a National Organization for Segway users with disabilities. Leonard is extremely knowledgeable not only about the ADA but also about what it takes to live life to its fullest with a disability.

He and I have decided that the time is right to begin the formation of this group. There will be no membership fees initially, Leonard and I will cover all the initial costs and membership will be open to those with or without disabilities. While you're under no obligation to do so, if you have a disability, we would welcome you sharing with us what that disability is, and even perhaps how you use the Segway HT to help you overcome that disability. We would never single you out individually but it would be beneficial in understanding the represented group.

If you are interested in participating please send me an e-mail.

Already there exists a group of us who became acquainted on segwaychat.com who work together for the protection of the rights of the disabled segway users. Interestingly most of those people are not disabled. Hopefully they will choose to become involved in this organization, and continue the great work that they have already accomplished.

We'll look forward to hearing from you!
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Fantastic news. I know this has been in the works for awhile, and I'm proud of all of your efforts.

The Segway has the potential to be life-changing for more people than even the iBot. I've seen it with my own eyes, it changes lives.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:39 PM   #3
esteban
esteban

5 yr Member

My son Nick, is 17 years old and has CP. We have an apointment at Segway Headquartes to test a unit (In March) in hopes that it will allow him the ability to glide around his school and community. Having read the posts here and speaking to some owners we feel that the Seg will allow him that freedom. Once we purchase a Seg we'll sign on.
regards
Esteban Ruiz
esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Nel
Nel

5 yr Member

Super! Count me in!
Nelda
Nel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

I think the time is right. Watch out Mous House....... JR
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:51 PM   #6
4Seg
4Seg

5 yr Member

quad, you can count on me!

be keen, keep clean, glide green.
Help support FIRST http://www.usfirst.org
4Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:29 AM   #7
Shawnee88
Shawnee88

5 yr Member

You can count me in as well.

I have MS, but not a "legal" diagnosis of it. To have a "real" MS diagnosis, you have to present with spots on your MRIs and have a few other findings. I lack the spots (as 5% do). I "real" diagnosis would probably qualify me for a wheelchair and the drugs for MS and such.

As it is, though, I have all the symptoms of MS but no name for it. I *know* it's that disease, as does my doctor, but he can't SAY it is.

Complicated. A year ago I was able to hike like 15 miles in an afternoon, I walked all the time, etc. But another attck of MS last New Years took that away. Now I walk with an awful limp and not for very far.

My sister passed away last year, I inherited a small amount of money from her, and bought my Segway (which I otherwise would not have been able to afford).

Now I use it when a lot of walking is involved. In the last couple weeks I have taken it into a museum and to the LA County fairgrounds for a horse show. Both times I was questioned (the fairground told me it was illegal to use it, they were incorrect and I got in) and my little "regulation" handicapped sticker seemed to make a big difference.

Anyway, now I can enjoy places like fairs and museums without getting tired or slowing down the people I am with. I plan to take it on the bike trails along the beaches here, and I take it joy riding on nice days (on which I used to take hikes or walks).

I'm also currently dealing with the human resources department where I work. I have requested that I be allowed to use the Segway on the job. I was initially turned down, but wrote a 3 page letter to HR explaining that, although non-traditional, it was still a "wheelchair" to me, that I was quite adept at maneuvering it, and that it was a free way for them to comply with ADA rules (thought that might shake 'em up), as I have not requested any other provisions. I'm waiting to hear back.. all I know is they are "looking into it".

I *love* the thing. It makes me feel graceful when otherwise I walk with a limp.. looking labored sometimes.

I'm going to post a second time here and include a link for the sticker, as soon as I find it.

Thanks,

Shawnee
Shawnee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:45 AM   #8
Brooster
Advanced Member
Brooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to allBrooster is a name known to all

5 yr Member

When I met Jerry (QuadSquad) for the first time at his orientation here in the Chicago area last March, I knew he was someone special. If you've never met him, you're in for a treat ... maybe at the next SegwayFest! Heck of an inspirational guy.

Good job Jerry. Anything I can do to help here, I'm in.

Brooster
Brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:48 AM   #9
Shawnee88
Shawnee88

5 yr Member

HANDICAP STICKERS FOR SEGWAY

http://street.safeshopper.com/333/1365.htm?624

For a low price, free shipping and a handful of free American flag decals as well, I bought a 3" x 3" blue "regulation" handicap logo sticker for the Segway.

Makes a big difference it seems,.. when people see it they immediately back off from giving me trouble taking the Segway in to places.

I stuck it right above the word SEGWAY on the front/bottom of the HT. I recommend it highly to the disabled Seggers. It's small enough to be unassuming, but a simple point to it makes people let you in. I just explain that it's my 'wheelchair', non-traditional though it is. I just explain that I feel too young for a traditional sit-down power chair or scooter, don't NEED to sit, and prefer to be eye-level with folks when I am out cruising. Plus the Seqay is a hell of a lot more FUN than a wheelchair!

Works every time, so far. (knock wood)

I paid like $3.50 for the sticker. Cheap enough. High quality vinyl, peel off back. They actually sent 2, even though I ordered one. Mistake or generosity, I don't know.

Shawnee88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:48 AM   #10
Segway City
Segway City is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Count us in.

Mrs. City has a heart defect that limits her walking to ~75 feet before she "Smurfs up". Her "invisible" disability makes people silently question whether there's a disability among us. That makes her shrink, as she's very non-confrontational, making her withdraw from the world. The Segway firmly re-establishes her right to that world without the need to get ill to prove she's sick or force her into a pushed wheelchair to comply with "their" view of how she should live. Passive radical activism at its finest!
Segway City is offline   Reply With Quote