SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 07-15-2003, 01:49 AM   #21
jillmac
jillmac

5 yr Member

I wrote to my local MS society but didn't get a reply. I have been thinking about writing again - just been horrendously busy lately.

Quad - I know what you mean. Over at an MS site I visit when a new person comes and posts they often type their entire symtom/doctor/tests history in one contintuous post. No paragraphs at all.

Someone always steps in and asks them to go back and edit their post adding paragraphs. Most comply fortunately. If I open a post that is solid text I just skip over it - scanning through the post and trying to keep my eyes in focus brings on a nice case of vertigo very easily.

Same with all capitals - I just cannot focus on them and have to skip posts that are in uppercase.

Jill

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who
jillmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:42 AM   #22
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think we have seen here is that

1. Some folks with disabilities are using Segways and are happier with them, more productive, etc, than with other standard devices.
2. Folks like them so much they're paying for them themselves.

So it stands to reason there are people out there who might fit in category 1, without being able to afford category 2.

That sounds like a job for charity.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:38 AM   #23
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

i might start a new thread on this...but it was proposed that a forum area for disabled / special needs would be useful so all of this stuff in one area and easy to fin, what do ya'll think?

cheers,
pt

pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:09 AM   #24
billc
billc

5 yr Member

A agree that a Segway/mbility and disability issues forum would be a great idea.
I assume you can even move topics?!

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:10 AM   #25
pt
Advanced Member
pt has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond reputept has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

billc-

yep-we can create a new one and also move topics over.

cheers,
pt

Old 07-15-2003, 10:36 AM   #26
Lazarus
Lazarus

5 yr Member

hello-
I have not been at this site lately but glad I spotted this thread. Marshal--of Williamstown--I posted the recent newspaper article about my use of the Segway and sent it to the email address you posted for the MSSociety. Hope she responds to you. My experience with the MA. MSSociety is not positive as they do seem to think the state ends at Worcester. But I hoped your post might do some good.
Linda
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:40 AM   #27
QuadSquad
QuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to beholdQuadSquad is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

I think we have seen here is that

1. Some folks with disabilities are using Segways and are happier with them, more productive, etc, than with other standard devices.
2. Folks like them so much they're paying for them themselves.

So it stands to reason there are people out there who might fit in category 1, without being able to afford category 2.

That sounds like a job for charity.

-Bruce Wright

Precisely!!!
QuadSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:48 PM   #28
defenbaugh
defenbaugh

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pt

but it was proposed that a forum area for disabled / special needs would be useful so all of this stuff in one area and easy to fin, what do ya'll think?

cheers,
pt
pt, I think that forum would be good. I am in the health field, an avid supporter of the HT, and promote it to anyone I think it will help. Most respond they don't have the balance or whatever. This being a new technology they don't comprehend what it can do. And, not being disabled, I don't comprehend what the disabled are up against. One person I suggested a demo to made me feel really low when he suggested I had no idea what he could do and not do. I felt he could absolutely ride a Segway, but didn't force it. The new forum would help people like me (do-gooders some people would call us) understand what disabilites can be helped.

Follow your bliss,
Ron

http://www.defenbaugh.org/Segway/segway_ht.htm
defenbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #29
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

A new forum would be great....

I have noticed however that other forums tend to linger long between posts. I think most SC users merely check this forum and never the other ones.

Not sure how to cure that.

But at least with a disabiled community and mobility forum, these posts will stick around longer.

-Bruce Wright

BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 02:25 PM   #30
pt
Advanced Member

5 yr Member

bruce-

new forums take a bit for people to check often, but once they do, usage spikes-- like the buy/sell and rental forums. we'll try it out and see what happens.

cheers,
pt