SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
laynebuilt
laynebuilt is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Laynebuilt Ally product has launched!

Thanks for all the patience regarding the research and development of ALLY (seating solution for segway riders) previously known as Autonomy. Orders are currently being accepted at allychair.com
laynebuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
DarthSegVator
DarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really niceDarthSegVator is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

This really looks like a great and well thought out design and quality manufacturing.

I look forward to learning more about it and seeing it in action first-hand.

Congrats!
DarthSegVator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Congratulations on the Ally launch. It appears that this product will allow people requiring full time segseating to go where no other mobility device will take them in terms of "off road" conditions & various terrains with the ultimate in small space manueverablity. I know I will be test riding soon.

Is there a possibility that the "kickstand option" will be sold separately to provide the stability some riders need when using other seating solution products on the market allowing the rider to stand and/or sit periodically? Some companies are attempting to develop kickstands.......no sense in trying to reinvent an already existing product. Perhaps licensing to sell your kickstand option thru other seat solution manufacturers in the future.

Thanks for your innovative Ally.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up Fantastic!

This looks like the best "wheelchair" version of a Segway I have seen. It is good to see it finally come to market. Congratulations on a job which looks extremely well done.

I have asked in the past about how riders with certain kinds of disabilities would cope in the event of an emergency shutdown, but in this case I'm guessing you apply the stablisers? The Segway will turn off when you reach 0 miles per hour so can you apply the stablisers in time? I'm not asking this to be critical at all, I'm asking out of a genuine curiosity for a fantastic looking product.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
rickb

5 yr Member

Videos show the rider using the lever to deploy the stabilizers in seconds which seems like plenty of time if you get the shutdown warning. The chairlike stability and safety is what I like so much about this product. I hope Tarik has time to respond to our questions.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
rickb

5 yr Member

Link to Ally safe riding tips. Indicates that you have 10 seconds to lower stabilizers in case of a shutdown and shows how to properly use the stabilizers.
http://allychair.com/assets/uploads/...%20Section.pdf

or http://allychair.com/assets/uploads/...%20Section.pdf

Last edited by rickb; 04-27-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
Link to Ally safe riding tips. Indicates that you have 10 seconds to lower stabilizers in case of a shutdown and shows how to properly use the stabilizers.
http://allychair.com/assets/uploads/...%20Section.pdf

or http://allychair.com/assets/uploads/...%20Section.pdf
Rick, you are right. The 10 second safety shutdown should be plenty of time to apply the stablisers. The same as if you were stood on the machine.

The safe riding document says that mounting and dismounting should be done when you can lean on a solid surface for support. When out and about, one may not be nearby. However, that is for normal mounting and dismounting. It is good advice. But during a shutdown, I see that you would just apply the stablisers as soon as stationary and do so without a support (if one was not to hand). The "ALLY Fixed position" video clearly demonstrates the application and removal of the stablisers without leaning on a solid surface - so I am more than comfortable with the whole system.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
laynebuilt

5 yr Member
Default Stabilization system

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
Congratulations on the Ally launch. It appears that this product will allow people requiring full time segseating to go where no other mobility device will take them in terms of "off road" conditions & various terrains with the ultimate in small space manueverablity. I know I will be test riding soon.

Is there a possibility that the "kickstand option" will be sold separately to provide the stability some riders need when using other seating solution products on the market allowing the rider to stand and/or sit periodically? Some companies are attempting to develop kickstands.......no sense in trying to reinvent an already existing product. Perhaps licensing to sell your kickstand option thru other seat solution manufacturers in the future.

Thanks for your innovative Ally.
We are planning to develop just the stabilization system here shortly to where you could stand or sit. I've just had my hands full getting this product to market. I would also be interest in licensing my stabilizers to other seating solutions.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
laynebuilt

5 yr Member
Default dismounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Rick, you are right. The 10 second safety shutdown should be plenty of time to apply the stablisers. The same as if you were stood on the machine.

The safe riding document says that mounting and dismounting should be done when you can lean on a solid surface for support. When out and about, one may not be nearby. However, that is for normal mounting and dismounting. It is good advice. But during a shutdown, I see that you would just apply the stablisers as soon as stationary and do so without a support (if one was not to hand). The "ALLY Fixed position" video clearly demonstrates the application and removal of the stablisers without leaning on a solid surface - so I am more than comfortable with the whole system.
I have logged over 3000 miles on the Ally/Segway combination. When I run the battery out or shutdown, I have always had plenty of time to put the stabilizers down. Honestly the only times I have tipped over is when I forget to turn it on before deploying the stabilizers or when I turn it off while sitting on it and forget to turn it back on while still on it and then I pull up the stabilizers. Oh...I've also been high centered a couple times and got dumped off(not recommended). Leaning on a solid surface is just a fail safe. There have been times that I am holding on to the seat of my truck and I put the stabilizers down without it being on. In this instance I don't tip over, I just put back down, push the power button, and then pull them up and I am good to go. It is just a safe practice. I don't wear a seatbelt or helmet even though I should.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
rickb

5 yr Member

Thanks Casey. I will be calling for a test ride soon. Do you anticipate any dealer interest in my general vicinity of South Dakota? Our closest Seg dealer is in White Bear Lake, Minnesota. Will be moving to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho in June so the Spokane/Seattle area is also an option...............or otherwise I may be flying to AZ.

Interesting option to possibly use your stabilizers under one of the other seat options for riders being able or preferring to stand periodically but require stability for a safe mount/dismount or just being able to sit in a stationary position at a desk or dining table.

Tags
ally, autonomy, laynebuilt, seat for segway, wheelchair