SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #11
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Scotty, I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time, both with your health and the world around you.

I do know what a glucose level of 287 mg/dl feels like. I don't like it when mine gets to 160. Which doesn't happen that often, thanks to another Dean Kamen invention, the portable insulin pump. But something went wrong this afternoon, and I was seeing 266 mg/dl. Ugh.

It's not stress -- lacking cortisol, stress tends to make my glucose levels drop. I'm an endocrine mess.

What prompted me to finally get a Segway was developing all the symptoms of CHF. Fortunately, only the symptoms. We don't know what my problem really is, but it doesn't seem to be cardiac. (And the CHF symptoms were just the latest issue).

I've been fortunate, too, in that my dealings with transit, stores, and the like have been much, much better. I did get asked yesterday to "get off that thing" at Sur La Table, that they thought it was dangerous in there. I responded that it's protected under the ADA, and that it was under perfect control. (Pretty obviously so on both points -- handicap placard, and standing there motionless). At Safeway a few weeks back, someone pair of males walked in behind me (I didn't get to look at them) and made snide remarks about letting a Segway in, and tried to convince the manager that they'd complain to the health department.

So I do get annoyed by such things, but I find them very much the exception. For every snide remark, I get a couple hundred, "cool!", or "I love those things", or "I tried one once on a tour", or "I need to get my dad one of those", or "I'll trade you my ____".

Still, it is stressful being a pioneer. It's clearly not for everyone, and everyone will face different experiences. I've read what you went through to get where you are now with the transit. I'm sure I've benefited enormously by everyone that's gone before me, and that I've made it a bit easier for those who follow.

It appears to me that these difficulties are improving, that people's attitudes are improving.

So would I recommend it? Yes, definitely. The stress of not being able to get around, or of having to manage a power wheelchair and not use my legs would drive me nuts. And I don't have the stamina to do much with a manual chair anymore. (And I hate my chair anyway).

But I always have to be realistic -- what's right for one is not right for another. We'll see how it suits my mother.

(Speaking of which, I have to figure out whether I'm better off teaching her, or getting someone more experienced at teaching Segway to do it. Opinions welcome. I guess I'll start a new thread).

Anyway, thanks for sharing all your experiences. I found them very helpful getting started, and blazing my own trails.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:51 AM   #12
scotty1024
scotty1024 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Yes well I didn't get into the nasty stuff...

I've had people put freshly chewed chewing gum under my shoes as I bent down strapping my Segway into the bus.

I've had people pour nasty things on the Segway as it sat outside the grocery store.

People that refuse to give up the ADA seats say the most amazingly prejudiced things to attempt to justify their actions.

People that lean on and touch the Segway on the bus can be dangerous to ask to not touch or lean on the Segway. I had one of them very much explode upon being politely asked to not lean on the Segway (and then fortunately leave the bus).

I've had one person get out their cellphone and call Metro to attempt to get them to radio the bus operator to kick me off. Which was a couple levels of stress higher than the Segwaychat lurker whom just called Metro to ask if Segways were allowed and sat around all superior because they told him no (he had carefully not asked if they were allowed for disabled operators) and then asked the driver to kick me off as he got off the bus.

Both of those incidents triggered because my Segway was taking up two seats. Buses here are very much over crowded despite my best efforts to stay out of the core rush hour times. And everyone is happy to use the extra seat thats available because I'm using a Segway instead of a Rascal e.g. they never think what would happen if they "win" and force me into a wheelchair... crowding will be even worse as Rascals use more ADA bay room.

Yes there are the nice people but the fear of those capable of physical violence against a disabled person is growing for me. And I still mentally suffer from being dragged physically down the street by a bus operator and having the police tell me there was nothing they could charge the operator with.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Scotty is clearly having a tough time of it... I hope it gets better, both medically and socially...

I understand that while it is tough, there is a question you have to ask yourself...

Are you going to modify your life to the troglodytes you meet daily, or are you going to live it the best you can, based on your needs, and let them all suck wind?

Of course, I must travel a mile in your shoes to understand your situation, and you must travel a mile in mine to understand mine, but I honestly believe that the primary control still remains with the individual...

As difficult as it can be at times, when you come upon a glass the only one who can determine if it is half full, or half empty, is you. It does not matter much what the idiot in the corner is yelling at you about the glass or anything else...

I have enjoyed your writing style in the past, and encourage you to try to see the positive as best you can...

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
jrwilcox
jrwilcox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Scotty,

Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Jim

P.S. Life is always better with a Segway smile

"I'd much rather be happy than right any day."
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
jrwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #15
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Yes there are the nice people but the fear of those capable of physical violence against a disabled person is growing for me. And I still mentally suffer from being dragged physically down the street by a bus operator and having the police tell me there was nothing they could charge the operator with.
Yes, I can see that would take quite some getting over. In fact, I'd probably still be pursuing getting his *ss into court, civil if not criminal.

It may help that I'm somewhat of a giant, on or off the Segway. Off, I'm 6' 6", 210 lb, and not particularly frail-looking. I carry a large and heavy backpack (though not NEARLY as heavy as it looks), but nobody has tried anything physically nasty.

I wish I knew what to say to offer you moral support, beyond "Illegitimus non carborundum".

But I'll leave you with this thought -- if you outlast them, you win.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #16
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Default It's not just the machine.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwilcox View Post
Scotty,

Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Jim

P.S. Life is always better with a Segway smile
Well said.

Now alot of the problems that a person with a disability has with things like buses, trains, Abel Bodies etal are not exclusive to those that use Segways.

I've been useing one for since 2004 and the comments may be a bit different than I get when I'm in a chair, but the rudeness of people in general is the same.

Basic fact, most people would rather that we not be a bother to them. Be that waiting for a wheelchair lift , no matter who and what gets on it , to who uses a Handicap spot.

I've seen it at Neurologists offices. Person struggles to get a door open from their chair and a room full of AB's just watch......?

I've seen businessmen in a rush "smack" an old lady in a chair "up long side the head" with a hard briefcase to get on the plane faster.

I hate to say it but I visit a ton of different websites/forums everyday for persons with disabilities and hear of the same types of problems and all there use wheelchairs.

So if it makes you feel any better it's not only the Segway it's the Disability.

Be Big,
ALan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:37 AM   #17
kdd
kdd is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Greetings from the West Coast

Just saw your post - I don't check in on the chat that often. Thought I would respond though. I also have MD and live on the west coast. My disease has been very slowly progressive and just in the last few years walking has become much more difficult with more falling if I walk too far. I bought a Seqway I2 a year ago after my office was moved to a much less accessable location. I had some discussions with the VA hospital where I work (brought a note from my doctor) but the result is I use my Segway everywhere in and around campus. There is now a federal guideline allowing Segways for the disabled in all federal buildings. There have been no complications or hassles for me at work. The hospital informed security that I was ok and the only comments have been positive comments, and questions about how it works, where to get one, and how much it costs. The assistant hospital director stopped by to see me a few weeks back and spoke with me for quite a while about how I like the Seqway as they were considering purchasing some for the security people.

I did not pursue trying to get my insurance to cover it - didn't think it would fly.

I also haven't braved the malls / stores much - as yet. Most people in my brief experience when they see the small disabled placard are pretty open to the Segway. I have not used it for commuting on busses/trains where I am sure it would be chronically stressful. I transport mine with my truck using ramps to get it in and out. I am planning on ordering a Segvator to make this a bit easier sometime in he future.

Kent
kdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
bgrh@mac.com
bgrh@mac.com is on a distinguished road

Default State Vocational Rehab may fund a Segway

Folks - just one data point - but, a student with MD got his State (Iowa) vocational rehab office to fund most of a Segway/SegSaddle purchase. I've asked him to join this forum so he can tell the story.

Point was, compared to a conversion van, the Segway/SegSaddle option was worth a try, and saved the State serious money - and it has worked out well for the student who is in Lawrence Kansas.

As for the hardware - it was a prototype - we are still working to get manufacturing going. More of a pain than I expected...
Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #19
Jayhawkfan
Jayhawkfan is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway and insurance

Hey everyone,

Like Brian explained it is actually possible to get a Segway payed for. I thought it was a long shot but I called the MDA just to ask. They said they could in fact pay for up to $2000. My insurance of course refused to pay anything so I tried vocational rehabilitation of Iowa. They were a bit trickier to work with but eventually they agreed to pay for the rest. I had to provide them with 2 quotes and a letter from a Dr saying that I needed a mobility device and that a modified segway would work for me. My Dr sent them the letter and it was all set up. The only remaining condition was that I try one out first and confirmed that I could use it safely. It wasn't easy but voc rehab finally realized that a segway is a lot cheaper than paying for a modified ramp van. When my counselor first put the paper work through her boss said no and wrote me a very condescending email too me and insisted I get used to a rascal scooter because a Segway wouldn't be safe given my limitations. I fired back an angry email and explained the life changing benefits of a segway and he agreed to conference call where we could all discuss the issue. After that he changed his mind and agreed. They said it was the first time they had bought a Segway for someone but said they would likely start doing it regularly given how great it's been for me. They also payed for a Segvator lift for my car so I can take it anywhere. Normally voc rehab makes you pay a certain percent of the cost but MDA's contribution counted for most of it. In the end I only had to pay $400 out of my own pocket. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

It might be one of those things that vary from state to state but if you work with voc rehab in your state I would suggest giving them a call. You might have to work hard to get them to agree but it is possible and the precedent is there. Just tell them to contact voc rehab of Iowa if they say no. The MDA couldn't have been better. If you have MD give them a call too. They won't pay for the whole thing but it's a start. I'm not sure if other organizations will help pay you can try. For most organizations this is new territory but I'm hopeful that before long Segways will be considered accessible devices even by Insurance companies.

As far as the Segway itself, it's been amazing. It's so much better than my old rascal scooter! I don't get the same looks from people. I guess seeing a young person in a rascal is confusing for some people. They looked at me like "those things are for old people. If you're disabled you should be in a wheelchair". The segway is of course completely different. One of the best things about it is that I'm nearly at eye level when I ride on it. It makes such a big difference. There's no way I could ride one without the seat but with that simple modification I ride around on it effortlessly. I was a little worried about getting on and off but it's not a problem at all. I think there are many many disabled people who's lives could be changed by this. The seat I have is a prototype but I think Brian plans on having it available early next year.

So there you go. It is in fact possible to get it payed for. Let me know if anybody else is able do it.
Jayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Welcome Jayhawkfan, and congratulations. Your profile says that you are not a Segway owner; so what unit do you really have?

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance, how to, rights