SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #51
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
I'm not so sure about lumping lobbyists in with asphalt -- with or without feathers!

I don't hate lobbyists -- I'd like a few of my own. Give me enough lobbyists, and I could set things aright!

My appologies. It was Glen that spoke of the President being anti-lobby, not you.

My remarks should have been directed toward him.

I do agree, many lobbyists aught to wear the traditional Tar and Feathers, but not nearly so much as those we send to Washington. We elect and pay those representatives to do the will of and watch out for the people. Instead, they feather their own nests. The lobbyists are being paid by an interest group to influence the weak minded and greedy politician, and offer a bit of education to the rest, and that is what they do.

So, in my opinion, Lobbyists do what they are paid to do. Our legislators don't. (I know it is too broad a brush to paint all legislators with, but I honestly feel that used car salesmen have a higher trust factor than this congress.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #52
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

What's the alternative to a special interest group? A special apathy group?

"Special interest groups" is a code phrase. What lies behind the phrase varies by who is using it. But whenever you see anyone use that phrase, you should demand they stop speaking in code.

We should be seeking greater participation in democracy. The phrase usually refers to a feeling of being left out, that some other group has better access, or is better organized. But the code doesn't point to what should be done. Better organize your own side? Make more efforts? Fund-raise?

Usually all that's intended is to pass the blame for failure and bemoan that the other side should be silenced somehow.

So let Disney corporation lobby. How many votes do they have? Zero. It's up to us to be vigilant and communicate, individually and collectively.

"I use a Segway, and I vote!"
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #53
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Of course, Segway LLC/Inc's efforts to influence legislation at the National/State/Local levels are exempt from this lobby bashing thread.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #54
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Of course, Segway LLC/Inc's efforts to influence legislation at the National/State/Local levels are exempt from this lobby bashing thread.

Not exempt from me.

As a matter of fact, I believe that segway was successful in passing more laws in more states in less years than the bicycle lobby was, at least that I am aware of...

I have stated that I believe that lobbyists do what they get paid to do. I have not intentionally bashed them. If someone feels I did, I am sorry to have left that impression.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #55
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Not exempt from me.

As a matter of fact, I believe that segway was successful in passing more laws in more states in less years than the bicycle lobby was, at least that I am aware of...

I have stated that I believe that lobbyists do what they get paid to do. I have not intentionally bashed them. If someone feels I did, I am sorry to have left that impression.
Sorry if I misunderstood when you said, "I do agree, many lobbyists aught to wear the traditional Tar and Feathers."

I was just pointing out that Matt D should be exempt from your 'many'. If you feel that he should not be exempt, that is your perogative.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #56
KSagal

Quote:
Sorry if I misunderstood when you said, "I do agree, many lobbyists aught to wear the traditional Tar and Feathers."

I was just pointing out that Matt D should be exempt from your 'many'. If you feel that he should not be exempt, that is your perogative.

I do not know where you are trying to force this... I made a simple comment in response to another poster... If you feel the need to parse every sylable, good for you...

Some lobbyists are bums and bad people, and deserve public derision. Some are not, as is the case with just about every other profession.

I feel you are smart enough to have read the rest of my post, and realize that I hold legislators if far lower esteem than lobbyists, and stated so clearly...

I understand how a bicycle enthusiast such as yourself may feel slighted by Matt's success and how it has dwarfed any efforts by bikers, on a person to person and state to state basis, in just a few years, but that is not the way it needs to be taken.

I hold the average lobbyist in higher regard than many spandex road kings, but not all of them are bad guys either. Just some.

The world is full of all kinds of people. Some good, some bad. Some even go from good to bad, and sometimes from bad to good. Most are in the middle someplace.

I feel it is more important to smile, and keep looking for the good ones. Keep an eye on the bad ones, but look for the good when you can.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #57
JohnM

5 yr Member

Quote:
I feel you are smart enough to have read the rest of my post, and realize that I hold legislators if far lower esteem than lobbyists, and stated so clearly...
Do you exempt those legislators that were influenced by Matt D?
RUSA #235
UMCA #

Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #58
KSagal

Quote:
... The lobbyists are being paid by an interest group to influence the weak minded and greedy politician, and offer a bit of education to the rest, and that is what they do.
Quote:
Do you exempt those legislators that were influenced by Matt D?

I prefer to feel the legislators who were influenced by Matt D fall into the second group. I may be wrong, but that is where I prefer to place them...

But, of course, we all know I already said that. Absolute statements are wrong, at least some of the time.