SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #21
GlennO
GlennO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

This is getting interesting - - to say the least

Ok then, what kind of legal protection (if any) does Disney have right now for strollers & wheelchairs? (Babies are disabled too, right?)

Is Disney exempt from suits involving these items?

Glenn
Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #22
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
Is Disney exempt from suits involving these items?
No. Especially since they not only allow them, but also rent them.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #23
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
No. Especially since they not only allow them, but also rent them.

And this is my point.

They also rent rascal scooters, (or something similar) which they allow...

They also rent segways, which they only allow in a much more limited and controlled manner.

Soon enough, this will change.

If they loose in court, and segways come in, then the Disney corporation will find a way to make money from it. THAT is what the mouse does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #24
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
They also rent segways, which they only allow in a much more limited and controlled manner.
Karl --

Recently you stated with regards to the Metro Incident that "Yes, I agree. We should learn to use the segway as it was intended, designed and programmed. The fact that there is no repeat that I have seen in years, seems to indicate that as a group, we learned that it is a bad plan to sit and push the seg away with your feet, while not holding on."

And there's no check or guarantee that anyone new to the Segway experience fully understands this. Which is, I believe, how that entire incident occurred.

That said, it does point out a fundamental difference between a Segway and any other device allowed in the parks so far; if, for some reason, the operator dismounts and the device is left to its own programming, it will, under power, accelerate forward for a short time before shutting itself off.

To my knowledge, no stroller or wheelchair, motorized or not, does this on level pavement.

It does bring up the possibility of yet another Segway sport however; Segway bowling.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #25
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
And there's no check or guarantee that anyone new to the Segway experience fully understands this. Which is, I believe, how that entire incident occurred.
If you are saying that Kinky lacked experience & understanding about what the machine would do if released in RBM, I do not think that was born out in her description of the incident. I believe she realized the mistake she made in leaving it in that mode, with her feet on it, and letting go of the control, as she admitted responsibility for that lapse.

It's like someone not realizing what a car will do if you leave it in drive and take your foot off the brake to reach for something in the back seat.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:11 PM   #26
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
If you are saying that Kinky lacked experience & understanding about what the machine would do if released in RBM, I do not think that was born out in her description of the incident. I believe she realized the mistake she made in leaving it in that mode, with her feet on it, and letting go of the control, as she admitted responsibility for that lapse.
I agree. In that posting, which I'm now paraphrasing, Kinky, herself states: "I sat down, leaving my feet on the power base, but taking my hands off the handlebars. (the next three words are an exact quote,bolding and all caps mine) YOU GUESSED IT. It got away from me..."

In other words: Kinky realized the mistake she made, and realized everyone else would also see the operator error. Again, THE SEGWAY BEHAVED JUST AS IT HAD BEEN PROGRAMMED TO DO... TO MOVE FORWARD WHEN FORWARD PRESSURE IS APPLIED ON THE FOOT BUTTONS UNDER THE PAD.

Nothing mystical, magical or Segway-sentient about it. No invisible silicon goonies mucking up the works.

Just good, old-fashioned, operator error.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #27
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
... Just good, old-fashioned, operator error.
Yes, that might be true in Kinky's instance BUT now imagine this happening in a very crowded environment and the Segway mowing down (you can also say running over) a 3 year old who was, seconds before, gazing with awe at Goofy (no, not the fool who let the Segway get away).

This scenario is one that could happen anywhere and is one of the reasons that the safety card is played....as are the numerous other injuries or accidents that have occurred and are documented.

FYI, as far as I know (since we dealers have to report them), Inc has a record of many of the injuries and accidents that have happened. Guess what is going to be subpoenaed as soon in any court proceeding.

You can also bet the Disney is going to subpoena INC to testify that the Segway is not a medical device, is not recommended to be a medical device, and that they strongly discourage the use of the Segway in this manner.

So, while you may see only operator error from a trained operator, I see operator error that could happen to any new operator, and that, my friends, is the risk that Disney is trying hard to avoid.

Steven
Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #28
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
In other words: Kinky realized the mistake she made, and realized everyone else would also see the operator error. Again, THE SEGWAY BEHAVED JUST AS IT HAD BEEN PROGRAMMED TO DO... TO MOVE FORWARD WHEN FORWARD PRESSURE IS APPLIED ON THE FOOT BUTTONS UNDER THE PAD.
That isn't how a Segway works at all...
Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #29
quade

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
That isn't how a Segway works at all...
I think it depends on how precisely you want to interpret the sentence. As picky as I can be, I was willing to let it go because, from a level attitude, pressing on the front part of the base does cause it to tip and therefore move in that direction. So, like I said, even I'm willing to let that comment go.

My concern is more about what happens when the units are in riderless balance mode and simply released altogether. At that point they simply continue to accelerate until surpassing the stick shake cut off speed. In the clear that means they're able to travel . . . an admitted estimation here . . . 6 feet or so before crashing forward into the ground or other person or object.

Again, no other device mentioned so far concerning safety at Disney parks; strollers, wheelchairs, motorized or not, exhibits any behavior such as this on level pavement.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #30
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Again, no other device mentioned so far concerning safety at Disney parks; strollers, wheelchairs, motorized or not, exhibits any behavior such as this on level pavement.
Is there any level pavement at Disney? Every time I go it seems like the entire place is uphill!!
Closed Thread